Specific heat for an ideal gas

In summary: Yes, it is wrong to assume it is a monatomic gas. There is no reason why a polyatomic gas cannot be ideal, as long as it obeys PV = nRT. Cv will be 3R/2 + R/2 for each active rotational degree of freedom and R for each active vibrational degree of freedom. The important thing you have to remember, and the thing that makes the difference between monatomic and polyatomic gases, is that only translational degrees of freedom contribute to ##C_v## and ##C_p##, not rotational, and not vibrational.I hope this helps.
grangr

Homework Statement

If Cp for an ideal gas is 35.4 J/mol⋅K, which of the following is Cv for this gas?
a. 12.5 J/mol⋅K
b. 20.8 J/mol⋅K
c. 29.1 J/mol⋅K
d. 27.1 J/mol⋅K
e. 43.4 J/mol⋅K​

Homework Equations

1. ΔH = ΔE + Δ(PV) = Q + W + Δ(PV), and for ideal gas, ΔH = nCvΔT + Δ(nRT) = nCvΔT + nRΔT = nCpΔT
  2. The kinetic energy for a gas: KE = 3/2⋅(nRT)
  3. From (1) and (2) above, for an ideal gas, Cv = 3/2⋅(R), thus Cp = 5/2⋅(R)

The Attempt at a Solution

Cp = 35.4 J/mol⋅K = 5/2⋅(R)
Cv = 3/2⋅(R) = 21.24 J/mol⋅K
The correct answer is (d). Clearly I am missing something here, and would appreciate your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are there any internal degrees of freedom specified?

Orodruin said:
Are there any internal degrees of freedom specified?
No, I believe there is not. The problem statement was all that was given.

grangr said:

Homework Statement

If Cp for an ideal gas is 35.4 J/mol⋅K, which of the following is Cv for this gas?
a. 12.5 J/mol⋅K
b. 20.8 J/mol⋅K
c. 29.1 J/mol⋅K
d. 27.1 J/mol⋅K
e. 43.4 J/mol⋅K​

Homework Equations

1. ΔH = ΔE + Δ(PV) = Q + W + Δ(PV), and for ideal gas, ΔH = nCvΔT + Δ(nRT) = nCvΔT + nRΔT = nCpΔT
Factor out nΔT from nCvΔT + nRΔT: You get nΔT(Cv+R) = nΔT Cp . So how are Cp and Cv related?

Likes Chestermiller
ehild said:
Factor out nΔT from nCvΔT + nRΔT: You get nΔT(Cv+R) = nΔT Cp . So how are Cp and Cv related?
In my attempt, I thought Cv = (3/2)R and Cp = (5/2)R, as reasoned below.

The kinetic energy (KE) for a gas is 3/2⋅(nRT) (Relevant equation #2). For an ideal gas, now that
  1. ΔE = nCvT, and
  2. KE = 3/2⋅(nRT)
Cv = 3/2⋅R (Relevant equation #3)

Therefore, given that ΔH = n(Cv+R)ΔT = n([3/2⋅R]+R)ΔT = n(5/2)RΔT = nCpΔT
Cp = (5/2)R (Relevant equation #3)

grangr said:
I thought Cv = (3/2)R
This is true only for a monoatomic gas without internal degrees of freedom. The gas constant R has a fixed value (around 8.31 J/(mol K)), it is not something you solve for. Hence my hint regarding internal degrees of freedom and @ehild's hint regarding the relation between ##C_p## and ##C_v##.

Orodruin said:
This is true only for a monoatomic gas without internal degrees of freedom. The gas constant R has a fixed value (around 8.31 J/(mol K)), it is not something you solve for. Hence my hint regarding internal degrees of freedom and @ehild's hint regarding the relation between ##C_p## and ##C_v##.
I get it. For ideal gas, ΔH = nCvΔT + Δ(nRT) = nCvΔT + nRΔT = nCpΔT, thus Cv + R = Cp. Therefore, Cv = Cp - R = 35.4 - 8.314 [J/mol⋅K] = 27.086.

To be honest though, I fail to comprehend the concept of internal degrees of freedom still. The question asks about an ideal gas, supposedly it is not wrong to assume it is a monotomic-molecule gas (No?), in which case there would be 3 translational degrees of freedom and nothing else. So, that would give a kinetic energy (or internal energy) of (3/2)RT... (I am sorry; I don't think I am making any sense here. This is probably beyond my education.)

Thank you for all your replies.

grangr said:
The question asks about an ideal gas, supposedly it is not wrong to assume it is a monotomic-molecule gas (No?), in which case there would be 3 translational degrees of freedom and nothing else.
Yes, it is wrong. If it had no internal degrees of freedom, then it would have ##C_p = 5R/2##, which is not the case. If nothing is mentioned about the gas being monoatomic or not it is not something you should assume. Of course, if you would have been given a value lower than 5R/2 you should have started becoming suspicious. From the data in the problem, you could deduce that the gas was not monoatomic. An ideal gas generally is not required to be monoatomic.

grangr said:
I get it. For ideal gas, ΔH = nCvΔT + Δ(nRT) = nCvΔT + nRΔT = nCpΔT, thus Cv + R = Cp. Therefore, Cv = Cp - R = 35.4 - 8.314 [J/mol⋅K] = 27.086.

Correct.
grangr said:
To be honest though, I fail to comprehend the concept of internal degrees of freedom still. The question asks about an ideal gas, supposedly it is not wrong to assume it is a monotomic-molecule gas (No?), .

No, you cannot assume it is monoatomic gas. It can be two-atomic like O2 and N2, or three atomic as CO2 or even more-atomic or the mixture of to different substances. But Cp = Cv +R is substantial law for ideal gases.

Last edited:
Yes, it is wrong to assume it is a monatomic gas. There is no reason why a polyatomic gas cannot be ideal, as long as it obeys PV = nRT. Cv will be 3R/2 + R/2 for each active rotational degree of freedom and R for each active vibrational degree of freedom. The important thing you have to remember, and the only thing you really needed to know for this question, is that for an ideal gas Cp = Cv + R under all circumstances.

grangr said:
I fail to comprehend the concept of internal degrees of freedom still.
grangr said:
So, that would give a kinetic energy (or internal energy) of (3/2)RT...

To clarify a bit. The point is that if you have N degrees of freedom, you will have an internal energy of NRT/2. If you have a monoatomic gas, then the three kinetic degrees of freedom are the only ones you have. If you have more degrees of freedom, then you will need to add more heat to change the temperature by the same amount, i.e., a higher heat capacity.

Edit: Based on #10, let me clarify that the double counting of the vibrational degrees of freedom arise from the corresponding potential. In the case of translation/rotation of the molecule there is no corresponding potential.

Edit 2: Of course, the temperature also needs to be large enough to excite the vibrational degrees of freedom for them to have an effect.

1. What is specific heat for an ideal gas?

The specific heat for an ideal gas is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of one mole of the gas by one degree Celsius. It is measured in joules per mole per degree Celsius (J/mol°C).

2. How is specific heat different for an ideal gas compared to other substances?

The specific heat for an ideal gas is different because it depends only on the temperature of the gas, not on its mass or chemical composition. This means that all ideal gases have the same specific heat at a given temperature, regardless of their molecular structure or size.

3. Why is specific heat important for studying ideal gases?

Specific heat is important for studying ideal gases because it helps us understand how these gases behave when heated or cooled. It also allows us to calculate the amount of heat energy required to change the temperature of an ideal gas, which is useful in various industrial and scientific applications.

4. How does specific heat change with temperature for an ideal gas?

The specific heat for an ideal gas remains constant at a given temperature. However, as the temperature increases, the specific heat may vary slightly due to the gas approaching non-ideal behavior. At very high temperatures, the specific heat may increase due to the gas dissociating into smaller molecules.

5. Can specific heat be negative for an ideal gas?

No, specific heat cannot be negative for an ideal gas. This is because specific heat is a measure of the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a gas, and a negative value would imply that heat is being removed from the gas instead of added to it. However, for non-ideal gases, specific heat can be negative under certain conditions, such as when the gas undergoes a phase change.