Ideal Heat Engine: Input Temp Change, Exhaust Temp Change?

In summary, if the input temperature is lowered to 227C, by how much must the exhaust temperature be lowered to maintain the same eciency?The efficiency of the engine in the second case is decreased by 0.5 if the input temperature is lowered to 227C.
cuddlylover
An ideal heat engine operates with an input temperature of 327C and an exhaust temperature
of 27C. If the input temperature is lowered to 227C, by how much must be the exhaust
temperature be lowered to maintain the same eciency?Im using η= 1-(tc/th) that works out to 1-(300k/600k) = 0.5 then took 227c = 500k*0.5 =250 ∴ 1-(250k/500k)=0.5

So i come to -23c but that dose not seem right if someone can help me here would be a big help thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks right to me. Why did you think it was incorrect? On another note, your working seems a bit unclear. I see you calculate the original efficiency, and I understand that bit of the working. But then I don't follow the rest of it.

I worked out the original efficiency and then times the original efficiency by input temperature 2 to get the exhaust temperature 2.

Is that not right how would you do the working?

I was thinking it was incorrect base on a feeling there is a carnot limit of about 10C but i mite be wrong :)

cuddlylover said:
I worked out the original efficiency and then times the original efficiency by input temperature 2 to get the exhaust temperature 2.

Is that not right how would you do the working?
No, this is not the correct working. But it happens to get the right answer in this case just by coincidence. I think you need to take more time to rearrange the equations properly. You have two equations: old efficiency and new efficiency, and you know these are equal. How would you write this algebraically?

cuddlylover said:
I was thinking it was incorrect base on a feeling there is a carnot limit of about 10C but i mite be wrong :)
there is no temperature limit (apart from absolute zero, but that's much less than 10C)

cuddlylover said:
So i come to -23c but that dose not seem right if someone can help me here would be a big help thanks
You have to answer the question. The question asks by how much must the temperature of the exhaust be lowered, not to what temperature it must be lowered. Apart from that, I think you have the right idea.

AM

Oh, that's right. That is the last step which I forgot about as well. Cuddlylover still needs to do the correct working also.

How would i write and do this algebraically?

cuddlylover said:
How would i write and do this algebraically?

Write the expression for efficiency of the engine in the second case in terms of the input and exhaust temperatures (using Qc for the exhaust temp). Set that to the efficiency of the engine in the first case. Solve for Qc.

AM

Related to Ideal Heat Engine: Input Temp Change, Exhaust Temp Change?

1. What is an ideal heat engine?

An ideal heat engine is a theoretical device that converts heat energy into mechanical work. It operates by taking in thermal energy at a high temperature, performing work, and then releasing the remaining energy at a lower temperature.

2. How does input temperature change affect the performance of an ideal heat engine?

The input temperature of an ideal heat engine is directly proportional to its efficiency. As the input temperature increases, the efficiency of the engine also increases, resulting in more work output.

3. What is the relationship between exhaust temperature change and the efficiency of an ideal heat engine?

The exhaust temperature of an ideal heat engine is inversely proportional to its efficiency. As the exhaust temperature decreases, the efficiency of the engine increases. This is because a lower exhaust temperature means that more thermal energy has been converted into work, resulting in less waste heat.

4. How does an ideal heat engine maintain a constant efficiency despite changes in input and exhaust temperatures?

An ideal heat engine maintains a constant efficiency by following the Carnot cycle, which is a reversible thermodynamic cycle. This cycle ensures that the engine operates at the maximum possible efficiency for a given input and exhaust temperature.

5. Are there any real-life examples of an ideal heat engine?

While an ideal heat engine is a theoretical concept, there are real-life examples that closely resemble it. Steam engines, gas turbines, and internal combustion engines are all types of heat engines that operate by converting heat energy into mechanical work. While they may not achieve the efficiency of an ideal heat engine, they follow similar principles and serve as practical applications of the concept.