Net Entropy Change in Heat Engine Cycle

In summary: No, your equation is correct. However, your understanding of why the change in entropy of the hot reservoir is negative and the change in entropy of the cold reservoir is positive is not fully clear. In a heat engine, heat is transferred from the hot reservoir to the cold reservoir in order to do work. This transfer of heat is irreversible, meaning that the entropy of the hot reservoir decreases and the entropy of the cold reservoir increases. This is why the net change in entropy for the system (working fluid and reservoirs) is positive.
Sondra

Homework Statement

A heat engine operates between a high-temperature reservoir at 634 K and a low-temperature reservoir at 320 K. In one cycle, the engine absorbs 6540 J of heat from the high-temperature reservoir and does 2200 J of work.

Homework Equations

What is the magnitude of the net change in entropy as a result of this cycle?

The Attempt at a Solution

Qh=6540J
W=2200J
Find Qc=Qh-W=4340J
Sc=Qc/Tc= 4340J/320K=13.56J/K
Sh=Qh/Th= 6540J/634K= 10.32 J/K
Net S= Sc-Sh= 3.2 J/K
Please help. I feel like i am doing this problem correctly but I seem to be missing something. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sondra said:

Homework Statement

A heat engine operates between a high-temperature reservoir at 634 K and a low-temperature reservoir at 320 K. In one cycle, the engine absorbs 6540 J of heat from the high-temperature reservoir and does 2200 J of work.

Homework Equations

What is the magnitude of the net change in entropy as a result of this cycle?

The Attempt at a Solution

Qh=6540J
W=2200J
Find Qc=Qh-W=4340J
Sc=Qc/Tc= 4340J/320K=13.56J/K
Sh=Qh/Th= 6540J/634K= 10.32 J/K
Net S= Sc-Sh= 3.2 J/K
Please help. I feel like i am doing this problem correctly but I seem to be missing something. Thank you!
Since the engine is operating in a cycle, what is the change in entropy of the working fluid?
What is the change in entropy of the hot reservoir? What is the change in entropy of the cold reservoir? What is the total change in entropy of the working fluid and the two reservoirs?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Since the engine is operating in a cycle, what is the change in entropy of the working fluid?
What is the change in entropy of the hot reservoir? What is the change in entropy of the cold reservoir? What is the total change in entropy of the working fluid and the two reservoirs?

Chet
So the hot reservoir has a net (-) charge because it's energy is absorbed. The net change in the cold is (+) because work is being put into the system and needs to be exhausted..? I am not exactly sure of how a "cycle" would influence the entropy unless it is referring to a reversible engine.

Sondra said:
So the hot reservoir has a net (-) charge because it's energy is absorbed. The net change in the cold is (+) because work is being put into the system and needs to be exhausted..? I am not exactly sure of how a "cycle" would influence the entropy unless it is referring to a reversible engine.
In any cycle, the change in any state function (like entropy), for a system experiencing the cycle, is equal to zero. The hot reservoir loses heat to the engine and the cold reservoir receives heat from the system. So, the change in entropy of the hot reservoir is negative and the change in entropy of the cold reservoir is positive.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
In any cycle, the change in any state function (like entropy), for a system experiencing the cycle, is equal to zero. The hot reservoir loses heat to the engine and the cold reservoir receives heat from the system. So, the change in entropy of the hot reservoir is negative and the change in entropy of the cold reservoir is positive.

Chet
The correct answer is not zero :/

Sondra said:
The correct answer is not zero :/
I didn't say it was. I said that the entropy change of the working fluid is zero. The total entropy change, including the reservoirs, is not zero. Your original answer was correct, although you obtained this answer without understanding what is happening fundamentally. I was trying to explain the correct way to analyze the problem.

Chet

Last edited:
Chestermiller said:
I didn't say it was.
So yeah I understand the Sh is negative that is why i subtracted it from the positive Sc. Is my equation incorrect?

What is net entropy change?

Net entropy change is a measure of the overall change in the disorder or randomness of a system. It takes into account both the entropy changes within the system and the entropy changes in its surroundings.

How do you calculate net entropy change?

Net entropy change can be calculated by subtracting the entropy change of the surroundings from the entropy change of the system. The entropy change of the system can be determined by multiplying the change in temperature by the heat transferred divided by the temperature. The entropy change of the surroundings can be determined by dividing the heat transferred by the temperature of the surroundings.

What factors affect net entropy change?

The temperature, heat transferred, and the type of process (such as isothermal or adiabatic) can all affect net entropy change. Additionally, the number of particles in the system and the degree of disorder or randomness can also impact the net entropy change.

Why is net entropy change important?

Net entropy change is important because it is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics that helps us understand the direction and spontaneity of physical and chemical processes. It also has practical applications in areas such as energy conversion and refrigeration.

How is net entropy change related to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. Net entropy change is a measure of this overall increase in entropy, taking into account both the system and its surroundings. In other words, net entropy change is a direct result of the second law of thermodynamics.