Ideals and GCDs in k[x] .... .... Cox et al ....

• Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
In summary, Peter attempted to solve a homework equation and was not able to do so. He looked at the solution and found that it was essentially a combination of the Bézout's identity and the extended GCD algorithm.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB

Homework Statement

I am reading the undergraduate introduction to algebraic geometry entitled "Ideals, Varieties and Algorithms: An introduction to Computational Algebraic Geometry and Commutative Algebra (Third Edition) by David Cox, John Little and Donal O'Shea ... ...

I am currently focused on Chapter 1, Section 5: Polynomials of One Variable ... ... and need help with the proof of Proposition 8, part 3 ...

Proposition 8 of Chapter 1 (including Definition 7 which is relevant) reads as follows:
?temp_hash=0292a2083050a3ef6d81c413a30bf337.png

In the above text from Cox et al we read the following:" ... ... To prove part (iii), let ##h \ = \ GCD(f_2, \ ... \ ... \ , f_s)##. We leave it as an exercise to show that

##<f_1, h> \ = \ <f_1, \ ... \ ... \ , f_s>##

... ... "I need help to show that ##<f_1, h> \ = \ <f_1, \ ... \ ... \ , f_s>## ... ...

Homework Equations

These are all introduced in context, in 3 below ... ...

The Attempt at a Solution

Work so far ...

We need to show that ##<f_1, h> \ \subset \ <f_1, \ ... \ ... \ , f_s>## ... and also that

##<f_1, \ ... \ ... \ , f_s> \ \subset \ <f_1, h>##So to show ##<f_1, h> \ \subset \ <f_1, \ ... \ ... \ , f_s>## we start withLet ##l \in <f_1, h>## ...

Then, by definition of ##<f_1, h>##, we have that ##l = f_1 t_1 + h t_2 where t_1, t_2 \in k[x]## ...Now we have that ##h = GCD(f_2, \ ... \ ... \ , f_s)## ... BUT ... how do we use this in the proof?Note that we also have

##(1) \ h = GCD(f_2, \ ... \ ... \ , f_s) \ \Longrightarrow \ h \text{ divides } f_2, \ ... \ ... \ , f_s##

## \ \Longrightarrow \ h = f_2 u_2, h \ = \ f_3 u_3, \ ... \ ... \ , h \ = \ f_s u_s##

for some ##u_2, \ ... \ ... \ , u_s \in k[x]## ...(2) ##k[x]## is a PID so that:

##<f_1, h > \ = \ <v>## for some polynomial ##v \in k[x]## ... ...... but, how do we use (1) and (2) in the required proof ...
Can someone please help me to complete the proof of ##<f_1, h> \ = \ <f_1, \ ... \ ... \ , f_s>## ...

Help will be appreciated ...

Peter

Attachments

• Cox et al - Proposition 8 - Ch, 1 ... ....png
    Cox et al - Proposition 8 - Ch, 1 ... ....png
    43.1 KB · Views: 636
Physics news on Phys.org
The easy part is ##I := <f_1, \dots , f_s> \;⊆ \;<h>\; ⊆\; <h,f_1>\;## because every ##f_i## can be written ##f_i = g_i \cdot h## by definition of ##h##. Thus any ##f = \sum a_i f_i ∈ I## gets ##f = \sum a_i g_i h ∈ \; <h>.##
The other way, your first, is essentially Bézout's Lemma. I'm too lazy to type it from Wikipedia. Maybe you get along with what is written there:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bézout's_identity

It might as well be the quoted proposition 6 or corollary 4. It means that you can write ##h_2 = p_1 f_1 + p_2 f_2## if ##h_2## is the greatest common divisor of ##f_1## and ##f_2## and then by induction ##h = p_1 f_1 + \dots + p_s f_s## which is what we need for ##h \in I.##

It applies to PID, so you may substitute "integers" by "polynomials". There is a written proof and a link to the polynomial version (without proof as far as I could see): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyn...9zout.27s_identity_and_extended_GCD_algorithm

If you have further questions to it or about the Wiki entry, please let me know.

Likes Math Amateur
fresh_42 said:
The easy part is ##I := <f_1, \dots , f_s> \;⊆ \;<h>\; ⊆\; <h,f_1>\;## because every ##f_i## can be written ##f_i = g_i \cdot h## by definition of ##h##. Thus any ##f = \sum a_i f_i ∈ I## gets ##f = \sum a_i g_i h ∈ \; <h>.##
The other way, your first, is essentially Bézout's Lemma. I'm too lazy to type it from Wikipedia. Maybe you get along with what is written there:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bézout's_identity

It might as well be the quoted proposition 6 or corollary 4. It means that you can write ##h_2 = p_1 f_1 + p_2 f_2## if ##h_2## is the greatest common divisor of ##f_1## and ##f_2## and then by induction ##h = p_1 f_1 + \dots + p_s f_s## which is what we need for ##h \in I.##

It applies to PID, so you may substitute "integers" by "polynomials". There is a written proof and a link to the polynomial version (without proof as far as I could see): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyn...9zout.27s_identity_and_extended_GCD_algorithm

If you have further questions to it or about the Wiki entry, please let me know.
Thanks for the help fresh_42 ...

Still reflecting on your post ... but basically followed that ...

Thanks again ... most helpful

Peter

Related to Ideals and GCDs in k[x] .... .... Cox et al ....

1. What are ideals in k[x]?

Ideals in k[x] are a fundamental concept in abstract algebra. They are subsets of the ring k[x] that satisfy certain properties, including closure under addition, subtraction, and multiplication by elements of the ring. They are used to study the properties of polynomials and their roots.

2. What is the GCD of two polynomials in k[x]?

The GCD, or greatest common divisor, of two polynomials in k[x] is the polynomial of highest degree that divides both polynomials without a remainder. It is used to find common factors and simplify polynomial expressions.

3. How are ideals and GCDs related in k[x]?

Ideals and GCDs are closely related in k[x]. In fact, the GCD of two polynomials is the generator of the ideal generated by those polynomials. This means that the GCD is the smallest ideal that contains both polynomials.

4. Can ideals and GCDs be used to solve polynomial equations in k[x]?

Yes, ideals and GCDs can be used to solve polynomial equations in k[x]. The GCD can help identify common factors and simplify the equation, while ideals can help determine if a polynomial has any solutions in the ring k[x]. This is a useful tool in algebraic geometry and number theory.

5. How does Cox et al's book "Ideals and GCDs in k[x]" contribute to the study of polynomial rings?

Cox et al's book provides a comprehensive and accessible introduction to the study of ideals and GCDs in polynomial rings. It covers a range of topics, including theorems, algorithms, and applications. It is a valuable resource for both students and researchers in abstract algebra and related fields.