Constructing a function space to automatically satisfy BCs

In summary, we have a piecewise function with known constants and unknown functions that must satisfy certain boundary conditions. By using the given form of the functions and the boundary conditions, we can solve for ##2N-1## undetermined coefficients that are not linearly dependent on each other. These coefficients are used to solve the system of equations and determine the eigenvalue.
member 428835
Suppose we have a piecewise function $$f(x) =
\begin{cases}
f_1(x) & \text{if } -1\leq x \leq \xi_1 \\
0 & \text{if } -\xi_1\leq x \leq \xi_2 \\
f_2(x) & \text{if } -\xi_2 \leq x \leq 1
\end{cases}$$

where ##\xi_1,\xi_2## are known constants and ##f_1(x),f_2(x)## are unknown functions. ##f(x)## is subject to the following boundary conditions$$\int_{-1}^{\xi_1}f_1(x)\,dx + \int_{\xi_2}^{1}f_2(x)\,dx=0\\
f_1(\xi_1)=0\\
f_2(\xi_2)=0.$$

We assume ##f(x)## takes the following form: $$f_1(x) = \sum_{k=0}^N b_k P_k(x)\\
f_2(x) = \sum_{k=0}^N c_k P_k(x)
$$
where ##P_k(x)## is the ##k##th Legendre polynomial. In order to satisfy the above boundary conditions for any ##\xi_1<\xi_2\in[-1,1]## I necessarily solve for 3 constants, a combination of ##b_k## and ##c_k##, right? My text reads "There are ##2(N+1)−3 = 2N−1## linearly independent coefficient vectors that solve [the boundary conditions]"; what does this mean? I thought it meant there are ##2N-1## undetermined coefficients.

See, ultimately I am trying to solve the system of ##j## algebraic equations $$-\lambda^2\sum_{i=1}^nM_{ij}a_i=\sum_{i=1}^nK_{ij}a_i$$ where ##K_{ij},M_{ij}## are differential operators, functions of only ##P_k(x),P_i(x)## and ##\lambda^2## is an eigenvalue to be determined. So am I understanding this correct, that we are using the system of equations to solve for the remaining ##2N-1## constants ##b_k,c_k##?

Thanks so much for any help you have to offer!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Yes, you are correct in your understanding that the boundary conditions and the given form of ##f_1(x)## and ##f_2(x)## allow us to solve for ##2N-1## undetermined coefficients. This is because we have 3 boundary conditions and 2 functions with ##N+1## coefficients each, resulting in a total of ##2(N+1)-3=2N-1## undetermined coefficients.

As for the text stating that there are ##2N-1## linearly independent coefficient vectors that solve the boundary conditions, this means that there are ##2N-1## combinations of ##b_k## and ##c_k## that satisfy the boundary conditions and are not linearly dependent on each other. This is important because it ensures that the solution we obtain is unique and not just one of many possible solutions.

In terms of solving the system of equations you mentioned, it seems like you are on the right track. The system of equations allows us to solve for the remaining undetermined coefficients and determine the eigenvalue ##\lambda^2##.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck with your research!

1. What is a function space?

A function space is a set of mathematical functions that share similar properties or characteristics. It is used to describe the possible solutions to a mathematical problem.

2. How do you construct a function space?

To construct a function space, you first need to define the domain and range of the functions, and then determine the properties or conditions that the functions must satisfy. These conditions can include boundary conditions (BCs) and other constraints.

3. What are boundary conditions (BCs)?

Boundary conditions are conditions that must be satisfied by the functions in the function space at the boundaries of the domain. They can include fixed values, derivatives, or other constraints that the functions must satisfy at the boundary points.

4. Why is it important to automatically satisfy BCs?

Automatically satisfying BCs ensures that the functions in the function space are valid solutions to the mathematical problem. It also saves time and effort by eliminating the need to manually check and adjust the functions to satisfy the BCs.

5. What are some techniques for automatically satisfying BCs in a function space?

Some techniques for automatically satisfying BCs include using interpolation methods, such as spline interpolation, and using optimization methods, such as the method of least squares. Additionally, certain types of function spaces, such as finite element spaces, have built-in mechanisms for automatically satisfying BCs.