Identification help with this odd skull/piece of bone please

In summary: Do you think there is a correlation between sleep and height?There could be, though it is admittedly difficult to draw any conclusions from a study like this.In summary, the bone could be from a deer, but it is not the skull of a deer.
ETsmyhomeboy
TL;DR Summary
Strolling through the forest the other day when I found this interesting bone!
I thought it maybe could've been a snake skull when I found it, but upon further examination I could tell that it was in fact, not a snake skull, but more like a hardened, bone heart..? Hah. I'm stumped! Any guesses?!

Attachments

• 20200419_013209.jpg
    20200419_013209.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 193
  • 20200419_095023.jpg
    20200419_095023.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 229
  • 20200419_094932.jpg
    20200419_094932.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 221
  • 20200419_013303.jpg
    20200419_013303.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 211
  • 20200419_013244.jpg
    20200419_013244.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 215
  • 20200419_013209.jpg
    20200419_013209.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 204
Biology news on Phys.org
From your pictures, I am unconvinced its a bone or fossil.
At best, it looks to me like a fossil of some busted up bone that has been covered with some encrustation. (I don't favor this explanation.)
I am not seeing any structural symmetry that would be expected of a skull (if more than 1/2 of it were present).
Volcanic racks can have bubbles in them. The bubbles and their distribution do not look very biological to me, but there are some bones that could have that pattern (in that case I would expect it to be a small fragment of a larger bone.

More information would help:
  • Where was it found geographically.
  • What do you know about the geologic history of the area?
I have found some weird and interesting looking rocks that are not fossils, but are caused by biological activity (like carbonate marine worm holes/tunnels).
I have also found some volcanic rocks in weird shapes. I found one in Hawaii which was the last flow of an eruption. A nearby palm tree fell over into it and let the impression of the budding top of the tree (somewhat like a pineapple).
Rocks can get weird shapes for weird reasons.

Thank you so much!😊
It looks and is textured (to me at least) to be 2 separate layers of bone and maybe marrow and the holes seem to be closed up by the same bone just fresher. The outer part of the skull (or rounded part) seems to be calcifying like bone usually does it is incredibly odd I have never seen such a bone and find bones often ( though I DID think a turkey pelvis bone was some cool mythical creature 😂😂)

I found that little odd bone/rock in a huge field in the mountains of WV (along with this huge cow skeleton! Check out this leg bone, it looks like it's straight out of the Flinstones!) I mean, I was thinking maybe reptilian of some kind but I looked it up and didn't match. I took a short video of it but my camera literally wouldn't stop going out of focus! so I apologize for the terrible camera quality.https://www.dropbox.com/s/6o7bj86em1629lo/20200419_161114(1).mp4?dl=0

Do you have a picture of the palm tree fossil? It sounds beautiful!

Attachments

• 20200419_164939~2.jpg
    20200419_164939~2.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 179
My first thought was the head of a femur.

Likes ETsmyhomeboy
DaveC426913 said:
My first thought was the head of a femur.
Yes! Very possible. A rabbit maybe? Its about the size of a quarter so not big at all.

A quarter is 25mm in diameter.
A human's femoral head is about 40-54mm.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/femoral-head
("The natural size of the [male] femoral head usually ranges from 40 to 54 mm...")

This makes me think that a rabbit may be a little small. Hard to tell, considering the factors of square-cube law and diff in biophysical function could vary it quite a bit.

[EDIT] Nope. Apparently biophysical function (eg. running quadraped v. upright) has little bearing on femoral head size:
"The conserved nature of the relationship between stylopodial circumference and body mass suggests that the minimum diaphyseal circumference of the major weight-bearing bones is only weakly influenced by the varied forces exerted on the limbs (that is, compression or torsion) and most strongly related to the mass of the animal. "
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3403949/

Likes jim mcnamara and ETsmyhomeboy
I found a picture of a deer fibula and tibia and I have a feeling that might be the winner. That is so interesting! It makes sense though, considering beavers used to be as big as a human 😬 I have a red eared slider turtle (she likes looking at herself in the mirror haha) and they actually grow according to their aquarium size. If I fed her just a tad more and got her a size or 2 bigger tank (she's in a 55 gallon now) she would probably be about the size of an average dinner plate! I believe the same goes with most reptiles.
Here's a fun/interesting fact. Humans are 1-2 cm taller in the morning than at night!

Attachments

• Castoroides-ohioensis-size-738x591.jpg
    Castoroides-ohioensis-size-738x591.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 196
  • 23334158_1522837481103846_3519862852634196818_o.jpg
    23334158_1522837481103846_3519862852634196818_o.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 95

What is the purpose of identifying a skull or piece of bone?

Identifying a skull or piece of bone can help determine the species, age, and potential cause of death of the animal it belonged to. It can also provide valuable information for research and understanding of evolutionary history.

How can I identify a skull or piece of bone?

There are several methods for identifying a skull or piece of bone, including comparing it to known specimens, using identification keys, and consulting with experts in the field.

What characteristics should I look for when identifying a skull or piece of bone?

Some key characteristics to look for when identifying a skull or piece of bone include size, shape, texture, and the presence of specific features such as teeth or horns. It can also be helpful to consider the habitat and location where the specimen was found.

What tools or resources can I use for identifying a skull or piece of bone?

There are many resources available for identifying skulls and bones, including field guides, online databases, and scientific literature. Additionally, specialized tools such as calipers, magnifying glasses, and dental charts can be useful for more precise identification.

What should I do if I am unable to identify a skull or piece of bone?

If you are unable to identify a skull or piece of bone on your own, it is recommended to seek the assistance of a professional or consult with a museum or university with a collection of comparative specimens. It is important to handle the specimen carefully and avoid damaging or altering it in any way.