Identification of sub atomic particles?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of how physicists know that their experiments at the quantum level are yielding expected results and not just confirming their own biases. The answer is that there is a long chain of reasoning behind every measurement, but ultimately, it is up to the individual's belief in the validity of scientific methods.
johngalt47
I have not formally studied physics but am interested in quantum physics. I have studied calculus so I know a little bit about mathematics in case the answer requires it.

My question is, when a physicist conducts experiments at the quantum level, how do they know that what they are "seeing" is what they thought they were expecting? To fine tune my question, how does one know for sure that a proton is composed of quarks held together by gluons? What if it is entirely something different, but because the physicists were expecting one result of the experiment, they were prejudiced toward believing that the results confirmed what they were looking for?

Physics news on Phys.org
So, you have not formally studied physics but want to know how you know that physicists are not knaves and idiots? I guess you don't. There's a long chain of reasoning behind every measurement, but if you'd rather believe physicists are "prejudiced toward believing that the results confirmed what they were looking for", there's nothing we could write that you will find convincing.

Likes berkeman
Ther's not much to add to V50's answer, so this thread is closed.

1. What are subatomic particles?

Subatomic particles are the smallest particles that make up atoms. They are the building blocks of matter and include protons, neutrons, and electrons.

2. How are subatomic particles identified?

Subatomic particles are identified through experiments using particle accelerators and other high-energy technologies. Scientists also use mathematical models and theories to understand and predict the behavior of these particles.

3. What are the main properties of subatomic particles?

The main properties of subatomic particles include mass, charge, and spin. Protons have a positive charge and a mass of 1 atomic mass unit (amu), neutrons have no charge and a mass of 1 amu, and electrons have a negative charge and a mass of 1/1836 amu.

4. How do scientists classify subatomic particles?

Subatomic particles are classified into two main categories: fermions and bosons. Fermions include particles with half-integer spin, such as protons, neutrons, and electrons. Bosons include particles with integer spin, such as photons and gluons.

5. What is the significance of identifying subatomic particles?

Identifying subatomic particles allows scientists to understand the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern their behavior. This knowledge has led to advancements in fields such as nuclear energy, materials science, and medical technology.