Identify Mystery Bird in South Carolina

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bird
In summary, while walking home today, the speaker saw a large bird with a broad wingspan in South Carolina. Their wife identified it as a Great Blue Heron, but further research suggests it may be a Great White Heron. The speaker's current best guess is that it is a heron, possibly migrating and stopping to rest in the area.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I saw this while walking home today:

bird.jpg

I've seen it or one of its friends/relatives occasionally in the same area, over the years. It has a broad wingspan when flying. Unfortunately I wasn't quick enough to get a picture while it was in the air, and I couldn't get very close to it.

This is in South Carolina, about 150 miles / 250 km inland from the Atlantic coast.

Attachments

• bird.jpg
    bird.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 851
Likes 256bits
Biology news on Phys.org
WIfe says "Oh, that's a Great Blue Heron!" When the geographic area was mentioned, "It could be one of the other Herons, but I think it's a Grreat Blue." " It's hard to tell for sure because the head can't be seen very well." We are on the West coast so the Great Blue is the default. Further research shows it may be a Great White, which is mostly in Florida to Texas but strays as far North as New Jersey. The white legs in the photo indicate a White. The Heron declaration is based on overall body morphology and especially on the shape of the bill.

So, lacking a better photo, that's the 'current best guess'.

Likes 256bits
Tom.G said:
So, lacking a better photo, that's the 'current best guess'.
Lol... Your wife's current 'best guess' is way better than Google's 'best guess' ...

It looks like a heron or a crane due to the size and shape.
Cranes are either whooping or sandhill, in NA, and it doesn't look like either, with no markings on the head, and the color of plumage.
So I go with a heron also.

Looks kinda scraggly for some reason.

Looks like a heron is the best bet for now. Thanks! I remember seeing them in more waterlogged areas, but we don't have much water nearby, just a few ponds. The nearest lake of any size is about 15 miles away. Maybe it's just migrating and stopped to rest.

1. What is the process for identifying a mystery bird in South Carolina?

The process for identifying a mystery bird in South Carolina involves observing and noting down the bird's physical characteristics, such as size, color, and markings. The bird's behavior and habitat can also provide clues. Next, consult a field guide or online resources to narrow down potential bird species. Finally, compare your observations with images and descriptions of the bird to make a positive identification.

2. What are some common birds found in South Carolina that are often mistaken for each other?

Some common birds found in South Carolina that are often mistaken for each other include the Carolina Chickadee and Black-capped Chickadee, the Northern Cardinal and the Pyrrhuloxia, and the Red-headed Woodpecker and Red-bellied Woodpecker. These birds may have similar physical characteristics, but their range and habitats can help differentiate them.

3. Are there any online resources or apps available for identifying birds in South Carolina?

Yes, there are several online resources and apps available for identifying birds in South Carolina. Some popular ones include the Cornell Lab of Ornithology's Merlin Bird ID app, eBird, and the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources' Birding and Wildlife Trails website. These resources provide images, descriptions, and range maps for a wide variety of bird species found in South Carolina.

4. Is it possible to identify a bird in South Carolina based on its call or song?

Yes, it is possible to identify a bird in South Carolina based on its call or song. Many bird species have distinct vocalizations that can help narrow down their identity. Online resources and apps often include audio recordings of bird calls and songs, making it easier to identify them in the field.

5. Are there any rare or unique bird species that can be found in South Carolina?

Yes, there are several rare or unique bird species that can be found in South Carolina. These include the Bachman's Warbler, Red-cockaded Woodpecker, and Swallow-tailed Kite. These birds may require specific habitats and can be difficult to spot, but with proper research and luck, they can be identified in South Carolina's diverse bird population.