Identify the following motions as positive or negative accelerations

In summary, the object experiences a positive acceleration when its velocity changes from 10 m/s [W] to 20 m/s [W] in 4.0s and a negative acceleration when its velocity changes from 20 m/s [W] to 10 m/s [W] in 4.0s. This is due to the direction of the object's velocity being defined as positive or negative and the change in velocity being proportional to acceleration. The problem can be solved by treating velocity as positive and indicating direction with brackets.
selcouth

Homework Statement

An object changes its velocity from 10 m/s [W] to 20 m/s [W] in 4.0s.
An object changes its velocity from 20 m/s [W] to 10 m/s [W] in 4.0s.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking the first one is positive acceleration and the other one is negative acceleration (people also say deceleration but my teacher told us to use the term negative acceleration) because if you're moving west, west is negative so isn't -10 greater than -20? I'm awful at physics so I don't know if I'm thinking this through correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org
West is only negative if you define it to be so.
It would be good practise to see how you get the same answers for this problem whether you take west to be negative or positive.

You put N/A for relevant equations, but you could have put an equation relating acceleration to change in velocity which would really help with the problem.
Acceleration is proportional to change in velocity, and remember than when you see "change" in basic physics you can usually replace that with "final minus initial"
So if your initial velocity is -20m/s and your final velocity is -10m/s what was the change in velocity? Take the sign from that result and that should tell you the sign of the acceleration

Actually on second thought you should probably just treat it as positive.
Getting a positive acceleration on an object traveling in the negative direction is still causing the object to slow down and I think the point of this problem is for you to call that negative acceleration.

So for this sort of problem just keep velocity positive and indicate direction like they did in the question: [W] or [E]

Related to Identify the following motions as positive or negative accelerations

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It can be positive (speeding up) or negative (slowing down).

2. How do you identify positive and negative accelerations?

To identify positive acceleration, check if the velocity and acceleration are in the same direction. If the velocity and acceleration have opposite directions, it is considered negative acceleration.

3. What types of motion can have positive acceleration?

Any motion that involves an increase in speed or velocity can have positive acceleration. This can include a car accelerating from a stop or a ball rolling down a hill.

4. How is acceleration related to Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a larger force will result in a greater acceleration, while a larger mass will result in a smaller acceleration.

5. Can an object have both positive and negative accelerations?

Yes, it is possible for an object to have both positive and negative accelerations at different points in its motion. For example, a car may have positive acceleration when it is speeding up and negative acceleration when it is slowing down.