Identifying an element from Emission Spectrum

In summary, the conversation discusses using data collected from a spectrometer to calculate wavelengths for the 1st and 2nd order lines of the three brightest visible colors. The task at hand is to identify the element that produced the emission spectrum, but the speaker is unsure of how to do so. Despite attempting to compare the calculated wavelengths to lists of wavelengths for various emission spectrums, they are unable to positively identify the element. They question if the spectrometer's resolution is the issue and express confusion over how to correlate the wavelengths to a specific element.
ness9660
Using data collected from a spectrometer, with a diffraction grating of 100 lines/mm, I have collected a set of data. From this I have calculated wavelengths for the 1st and 2nd order lines of the three brightest visible colors, which were Blue/Violet, Green, and Orange.

To complete my lab I am required to identify the element that produced the emission spectrum, however I am really unclear how to go about this.

So, I am left with wavelengths for 1st and 2nd order lines of each color, I've tried to compare this to lists of wavelengths for various emission spectrums I've found, but I see no way to take these wavelengths and positively identify my element. Most lists of wavelengths I find fall within the same range. What is the clear cut method that I am missing to correlate my wavelengths to another set given so as to identify my element?

Physics news on Phys.org
is the spectrometer's resolution too poor or something? in general one should be able to identify elements pretty easily.

inha said:
is the spectrometer's resolution too poor or something? in general one should be able to identify elements pretty easily.
I can't really find any wavelengths to compare my calculated wavelengths to, just pictures of spectra, you can't make a positive id on that.

e.g.

I have a blue/violet 1st order to the right of center, wave length=348.99, and to the left of center=523.359.
Looking at this list:http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/Handbook/Tables/nitrogentable2.htm for nitrogen, how can I even relate my 1st and second order measurements to the nitrogen table?

Last edited:

Related to Identifying an element from Emission Spectrum

1. How is an element identified from its emission spectrum?

The emission spectrum of an element is unique and can be used to identify the element by analyzing the specific wavelengths of light that are emitted.

2. What is an emission spectrum?

An emission spectrum is the pattern of wavelengths of light that are emitted by an element when it is excited.

3. How does an element become excited to emit light?

An element can be excited to emit light by being heated, exposed to an electric current, or through a chemical reaction.

4. Can elements have the same emission spectrum?

No, each element has a unique emission spectrum due to the varying energy levels and electron configurations within its atoms.

5. What is the significance of identifying an element from its emission spectrum?

Identifying an element from its emission spectrum can provide valuable information about its properties and can be used in various fields such as astronomy, chemistry, and materials science.