Identifying Critical Points in e^x(1-cosy): Local Extrema or Saddles?

In summary, when using the second derivative test to classify critical points for the function f(x,y)=e^{x}(1-cos(y)), it is found that the function has critical lines rather than points. These lines occur at y=2kπ, where k is an even integer, and the function is constant (zero) along these lines. Therefore, there are no local extrema or saddle points for this function.
scubakobe
1. If f(x,y)=e[itex]^{x}(1-cos(y))[/itex] find critical points and classify them as local maxima, local minima, or saddle points.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the partials and mixed partial for the second derivative test as follows:

f[itex]_{x}[/itex]=-e[itex]^{x}[/itex](cos(y)-1)
f[itex]_{y}[/itex]=e[itex]^{x}[/itex](sin(y))
f[itex]_{xx}[/itex]=-e[itex]^{x}[/itex](cos(y)-1)
f[itex]_{yy}[/itex]=e[itex]^{x}[/itex](cos(y))

Knowing this, and that e[itex]^{x}[/itex] does not equal 0, then the critical points are periodic at 2∏n, where n is even intervals.

However, I get inconclusive when plugging it all into the second derivative test. And a quick query in WolframAlpha shows that there are indeed critical points, however no local maxima,minima or saddle points?

I also referred to another post in this form with a very similar problem, except it was (e^x)(cosy) and it was determined to have no critical points.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks,
Kobbe

Physics news on Phys.org
scubakobe said:
1. If f(x,y)=e[itex]^{x}(1-cos(y))[/itex] find critical points and classify them as local maxima, local minima, or saddle points.

I found the partials and mixed partial for the second derivative test as follows:

Knowing this, and that e[itex]^{x}[/itex] does not equal 0, then the critical points are periodic at 2∏n, where n is even intervals.

However, I get inconclusive when plugging it all into the second derivative test. And a quick query in WolframAlpha shows that there are indeed critical points, however no local maxima,minima or saddle points?

I also referred to another post in this form with a very similar problem, except it was (e^x)(cosy) and it was determined to have no critical points.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks,
Kobbe

Second-order tests involve not only ##f_{xx}## and ##f_{yy}##, but also the mixed-partial ##f_{xy}##.

Yes, sorry forgot to include that:

fxy=exsin(y)

scubakobe said:

What do you mean with the sentence "the critical points are periodic at 2∏n"? To define a point, you have to give both x and y. The first derivatives are zero if y is equal to even number multiple of ∏, but what should be x?

ehild

ehild said:
What do you mean with the sentence "the critical points are periodic at 2∏n"? To define a point, you have to give both x and y. The first derivatives are zero if y is equal to even number multiple of ∏, but what should be x?

ehild

Yes, that's where I'm having trouble. My thought is, and another post (Which I can't find now, sorry) suggested, is that ex cannot equal zero - so x would have to be equal to 0 in order for the ex to become 1.

A graph in WolframAlpha suggests a saddle point; and it does confirm 2∏ as the interval, but if asked about local min, max, or saddle points Wolfram states there are none.

Well, can be x something else? What about the first derivatives if x=10 or anything, and y =2pi?

ehild

ehild said:
Well, can be x something else? What about the first derivatives if x=10 or anything, and y =2pi?

ehild

Yes, x can be anything as long as the y=2∏. For both the f[itex]_{x}[/itex] and f[itex]_{y}[/itex].

So the x can range from 0[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]∞, but the only time the first partials will equal 0 is when y=2∏. Or even multiples, as I had said.

So here's the second order test...

D(x,y)= f[itex]_{xx}[/itex](x,y)f[itex]_{yy}[/itex](x,y) - (f[itex]_{xy}[/itex](x,y))2
D(x,y)= f[itex]_{xx}[/itex](10,2∏)f[itex]_{yy}[/itex](10,2∏) - (f[itex]_{xy}[/itex](10,2∏))2
Which then simplifies to 0.

This means the second order test is inconclusive. However, there clearly are critical points.

They are rather "critical lines", are they not ? The function is constant (zero) along the lines y=0, y=2pi... y=2kpi. There are no local extrema, no saddles, although the function has it minimal value zero along these lines.

ehild

ehild said:
They are rather "critical lines", are they not ? The function is constant (zero) along the lines y=0, y=2pi... y=2kpi. There are no local extrema, no saddles, although the function has it minimal value zero along these lines.

ehild

I guess that's true, however in my classes so far we've only referred to points, and not "critical lines."

So the answer would be no critical points? The 2∏ intervals are simply a recurring minimum value, but not necessarily a local minimum.

I do not know how these lines are called, or they have a name at all. I think you can say that all points (x, k*2pi) are critical as the first derivatives are zero, but there are no local extrema or saddles. ehild

Likes 1 person

What is a local maximum?

A local maximum is a point on a graph where the function has the highest value in a specific region, but not necessarily the highest value in the entire graph.

What is a local minimum?

A local minimum is a point on a graph where the function has the lowest value in a specific region, but not necessarily the lowest value in the entire graph.

What is a saddle point?

A saddle point is a point on a graph where the function has both a positive and negative slope in different directions. It is neither a local maximum nor a local minimum.

What is the significance of local maxima, minima, and saddles in optimization problems?

Local maxima, minima, and saddles are important in optimization problems because they represent critical points where the function's slope is equal to zero. These points can help identify the optimal solution for the problem.

How can local maxima, minima, and saddles be identified on a graph?

Local maxima and minima can be identified by looking for peaks and valleys on a graph, respectively. Saddles can be identified by looking for points where the slope changes from positive to negative or vice versa.