Identifying Subspaces and Subspace Addition

In summary: It is correct that E + B is all vectors of the form (2a + b, a + b). This is because when you add two vectors from E and B, you are essentially adding two vectors with the same components (2x, x) and (2y, y) but different values of x and y. Therefore, the resulting vector will have components that are just the sum of the components from the original vectors.
TranscendArcu

Homework Statement

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/4580/screenshot20120117at218.png

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Suppose we have two arbitrary vectors of E, call them X,Y. Let X = (2x,x) where x is in R and let Y = (2y,y) where y is in R. If we add X and Y we have (2x,x) + (2y,y) = (2(x + y),x+y) = Z. Addition within the components of Z is just a binary operator. This suggests that if we enter two real numbers for x,y we will get just one real number back. Let z = x +y where x,y,z is an element of R. Since Z is the sum of X and Y, we can write Z = (2z,z) where z is in R, which shows that E is closed under vector addition.

Let r be in R. We will test is rX is still in E. We may say that rX = r(2x,x) = (2rx,rx) = Q. We can restate the argument that multiplication within the elements of Q is again a binary operation. We can say that rx = q, where x,r,q are all in R. This shows that E is closed under scalar multiplication.

b) I won't retype this one out. It basically follows my argument in a) and I concluded that B was also a vector subspace. Unless the former is flawed, I don't think there's a problem.

c) Graphing E,B is R2 seemed pretty easy. Both yielded lines that intersected only at the origin. Thus, I concluded that the only element in both E,B is the zero vector.

d) Consider a scalar m in R such that q does not equal zero and let (2m,m), (m,m) to be two distinct vectors in E U B. Suppose we write, (2m,m) + (m,m) = (3m,2m) = M. This vector is neither in E nor B. Thus, since E U B is not closed under vector addition, it is not a vector space.

e) I wasn't really confident about this last part. I wrote that E + B is just all vectors of the form (2a,a) + (b,b) = (2a + b,a + b). This seems too straightforward, so I think I've done this last part wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
TranscendArcu said:

Homework Statement

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/4580/screenshot20120117at218.png

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Suppose we have two arbitrary vectors of E, call them X,Y. Let X = (2x,x) where x is in R and let Y = (2y,y) where y is in R. If we add X and Y we have (2x,x) + (2y,y) = (2(x + y),x+y) = Z. Addition within the components of Z is just a binary operator. This suggests that if we enter two real numbers for x,y we will get just one real number back. Let z = x +y where x,y,z is an element of R. Since Z is the sum of X and Y, we can write Z = (2z,z) where z is in R, which shows that E is closed under vector addition.

Let r be in R. We will test is rX is still in E. We may say that rX = r(2x,x) = (2rx,rx) = Q. We can restate the argument that multiplication within the elements of Q is again a binary operation. We can say that rx = q, where x,r,q are all in R. This shows that E is closed under scalar multiplication.

b) I won't retype this one out. It basically follows my argument in a) and I concluded that B was also a vector subspace. Unless the former is flawed, I don't think there's a problem.

c) Graphing E,B is R2 seemed pretty easy. Both yielded lines that intersected only at the origin. Thus, I concluded that the only element in both E,B is the zero vector.

d) Consider a scalar m in R such that q does not equal zero and let (2m,m), (m,m) to be two distinct vectors in E U B. Suppose we write, (2m,m) + (m,m) = (3m,2m) = M. This vector is neither in E nor B. Thus, since E U B is not closed under vector addition, it is not a vector space.

e) I wasn't really confident about this last part. I wrote that E + B is just all vectors of the form (2a,a) + (b,b) = (2a + b,a + b). This seems too straightforward, so I think I've done this last part wrong.

all looks good to me

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Identifying Subspaces and Subspace Addition

1. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies the properties of a vector space. This means that it is closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector.

2. How do you identify a subspace?

To identify a subspace, you must determine if it satisfies the properties of a vector space. This means that it must contain the zero vector, be closed under vector addition, and be closed under scalar multiplication.

3. What is subspace addition?

Subspace addition is the process of combining two subspaces to create a new subspace. This can be done by taking all possible linear combinations of vectors from each subspace.

4. How do you add subspaces?

To add subspaces, you must first determine if they are compatible, meaning they have the same number of dimensions. Then, you can take all possible linear combinations of vectors from each subspace to create a new subspace.

5. Can a subspace contain only one vector?

Yes, a subspace can contain only one vector as long as it satisfies the properties of a vector space. This means that it must contain the zero vector, be closed under vector addition, and be closed under scalar multiplication.