Finding the focus of a parabola given an equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation of a parabola, its various forms, and how to find the focus of a parabola in different equations. The focus is found by using the x coordinate of the vertex, which is also known as p. In some cases, the equation can be simplified to find p easily, but in others, it may require some manipulation.
BlueQuark

Homework Statement

Alright, so the equation of a parabola is [itex]y = 1/4p*x^2[/itex], P being either an x or y value, and the other x or y being zero. Let's say that [itex]x^2 = 16y[/itex]. If you divide both sides by 16, you get [itex]y = x^2/16[/itex], which can be simplified to [itex]y = 1/16*x^2[/itex]. This is in the format of a parabola, so finding p is simple. 16 is the product of 4p, so [itex]4p=16[/itex]. Divide both sides by 4 and p=4. So the focus is at (0,4).

This seems simple to me, until you get equations like this: [itex]3x^2 + 4y = 0[/itex]. I can't seem to get this in the form of a parabola. I got [itex]-3/4 *x^2=y[/itex]. This wouldn't help me find the focus, due to the fact that it's not in that form. How exactly would you go about finding the focus in cases like this? Thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
BlueQuark said:

Homework Statement

Alright, so the equation of a parabola is [itex]y = 1/4p*x^2[/itex], P being either an x or y value, and the other x or y being zero. Let's say that [itex]x^2 = 16y[/itex]. If you divide both sides by 16, you get [itex]y = x^2/16[/itex], which can be simplified to [itex]y = 1/16*x^2[/itex]. This is in the format of a parabola, so finding p is simple. 16 is the product of 4p, so [itex]4p=16[/itex]. Divide both sides by 4 and p=4. So the focus is at (0,4).

This seems simple to me, until you get equations like this: [itex]3x^2 + 4y = 0[/itex]. I can't seem to get this in the form of a parabola. I got [itex]-3/4 *x^2=y[/itex]. This wouldn't help me find the focus, due to the fact that it's not in that form. How exactly would you go about finding the focus in cases like this? Thanks for any help!
Hello BlueQuark. Welcome to PF !

You need parentheses around the 4p since both are in the denominator. You are using LaTeX, so it is easy to use "\frac" to write : ##\ y = \frac{1}{4p}x^2\ ##.

Writing the equation of the parabola as ##\ 4py = x^2\ ## may prove to be even handier for solving your problem.

4y + 3x^2 = 0
<=> y = -3/4 x^2
<=> y = -1/(4/3)x^2

I don't know whether this has answered your question.

BlueQuark said:

Homework Statement

Alright, so the equation of a parabola is [itex]y = 1/4p*x^2[/itex]
As SammyS said, that should be [itex]y= 1/(4p)x^2[/itex] or [itex]y= x^2/(4p)[/itex]

, P being either an x or y value, and the other x or y being zero.
I really don't know what that means. What does it mean to say that p is "either an x or y value". What do you mean by an "x value" or a "y value"? And what "other" x or y do you mean? p is, of course, the x coordinate of the focus- in this situation, the focus is at (0, p). Is that what you mean?

Let's say that [itex]x^2 = 16y[/itex]. If you divide both sides by 16, you get [itex]y = x^2/16[/itex], which can be simplified to [itex]y = 1/16*x^2[/itex]. This is in the format of a parabola, so finding p is simple. 16 is the product of 4p, so [itex]4p=16[/itex]. Divide both sides by 4 and p=4. So the focus is at (0,4).

Surely you know that [itex]-3/4= \frac{1}{-\frac{4}{3}}[/itex]? [itex]p= -\frac{4}{3}[/itex] and the focus is at [itex]\left(0, -\frac{4}{3}\right)[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
As SammyS said, that should be [itex]y= 1/(4p)x^2[/itex] or [itex]y= x^2/(4p)[/itex] I really don't know what that means. What does it mean to say that p is "either an x or y value". What do you mean by an "x value" or a "y value"? And what "other" x or y do you mean? p is, of course, the x coordinate of the focus- in this situation, the focus is at (0, p). Is that what you mean?Surely you know that [itex]-3/4= \frac{1}{-\frac{4}{3}}[/itex]? [itex]p= -\frac{4}{3}[/itex] and the focus is at [itex]\left(0, -\frac{4}{3}\right)[/itex].

Yes, [itex]-3/4= \frac{1}{-\frac{4}{3}}[/itex]

And, y = -x^2/(4p) is a valid equation for a parabola.
P = -1/3, not -4/3 so the focus is at (0, -1/3)

1. What is the equation for finding the focus of a parabola?

The equation for finding the focus of a parabola is (h, k + 1/4a), where (h,k) is the vertex of the parabola and a is the coefficient of the squared term in the equation.

2. How do I determine the vertex of a parabola?

The vertex of a parabola can be determined by using the formula (h, k), where h is the x-coordinate of the vertex and k is the y-coordinate of the vertex. This can be found by using the formula x = -b/2a and substituting this value into the original equation for the parabola.

3. What does the "a" value represent in the equation for finding the focus?

The "a" value represents the coefficient of the squared term in the equation. It is also known as the "stretch factor" and determines the shape of the parabola. A positive "a" value will result in a parabola opening upwards, while a negative "a" value will result in a parabola opening downwards.

4. Can I find the focus of a parabola if I only have the vertex?

Yes, you can find the focus of a parabola if you only have the vertex. You can use the formula (h, k + 1/4a) to determine the focus, where (h, k) is the vertex and a is the coefficient of the squared term in the equation.

5. Is there a shortcut method for finding the focus of a parabola?

Yes, there is a shortcut method for finding the focus of a parabola called the "p-method". This method uses the formula (h, k + p), where p is the distance from the vertex to the focus. The value of p can be found by using the formula p = 1/4a. This method can be helpful when dealing with more complex equations for parabolas.