Identifying Types of Converging Series

In summary: No: a geometric series would be ##\sum r^n## (or ##\sum c r^n = c \sum r^n## for constant ##c##), but ##\sum a_n r^n## is NOT a geometric series if ##a_n## varies with ##n##. However, if ##a_n \to c = \text{constant} ## as ##n \to \infty##, then comparison with the series ##\sum c r^n## can be made to work without too much effort (although some extra effort is needed), However, in your case you have ##a_n = n+1 \to +\infty## as ##n \to
DameLight
Hello, I'm looking for some help with this problem for my Calculus 2 class. Since it's a summer class my professor wasn't able to explain everything fully so if you can help me that would be great : )

1. Homework Statement

Select the FIRST correct reason why the given series converges.

A. Convergent geometric series
B. Convergent p series
C. Comparison (or Limit Comparison) with a geometric or p series
D. Alternating Series Test
E. None of the above

1. Σn=1 6(4)n/72n
2. Σn=1 sin2(6n)/n2
3. Σn=1 cos(nπ)/ln(2n)
4. Σn=1 (−1)n/(6n+5)
5. Σn=1 (n+1)(24)n/52n
6. Σn=1 (−1)n * √(n)/(n+9)

Homework Equations

Geometric Series:
Σn=1 arn-1 will converge if -1 < r < 1

P Series:
Σn=1 1/np converges if p > 1

Alternating Series Test:
1) bn+1 </= bn for all n and
2) limn->∞ bn = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

1. A
2. B
3. E
4. D
5. C
6. D

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
DameLight said:
Hello, I'm looking for some help with this problem for my Calculus 2 class. Since it's a summer class my professor wasn't able to explain everything fully so if you can help me that would be great : )

1. Homework Statement

Select the FIRST correct reason why the given series converges.

A. Convergent geometric series
B. Convergent p series
C. Comparison (or Limit Comparison) with a geometric or p series
D. Alternating Series Test
E. None of the above

1. Σn=1 6(4)n/72n
2. Σn=1 sin2(6n)/n2
3. Σn=1 cos(nπ)/ln(2n)
4. Σn=1 (−1)n/(6n+5)
5. Σn=1 (n+1)(24)n/52n
6. Σn=1 (−1)n * √(n)/(n+9)

Homework Equations

Geometric Series:
Σn=1 arn-1 will converge if -1 < r < 1

P Series:
Σn=1 1/np converges if p > 1

Alternating Series Test:
1) bn+1 </= bn for all n and
2) limn->∞ bn = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

1. A
2. B
3. E
4. D
5. C
6. D
I get (in order 1-6) A, C, D, D, E, D.

My professor told me that I got numbers 2 and 3 correct

DameLight said:
My professor told me that I got numbers 2 and 3 correct

I disagree. Here are the details.
1. ##\sum 6 \;4^n/7^{2n} = 6 \sum (4/49)^n##, so geometric (A).
2. In ##\sum \sin^2 (6n) /n^2## the terms are (i) not geometric; (ii) not alternating; (iii) not in the simple form ##1/n^p##. However, ##0 \leq \sin^2(6n)/n^2 \leq 1/n^2##, so a comparison with the series ##1/n^2## works (C).
3. ##\sum \cos(n \pi)/ \ln(n) ## is an alternating series, since ##\cos(n \pi) = (-1)^n##. So, D.
4. ##\sum (-1)^n / (6n+5)## is alternating, so D.
5. ##\sum (n+1) \; 24^n / 5^{2n} = \sum (n+1) r^n, \;\; r = 24/25##. Here, A,B,C,D do not apply, and that leaves E.
6. ##\sum (-1)^n \sqrt{n}/(n+9)## (or ## \sum (-1)^n \sqrt{ n/(n+9)}##---can't tell which you mean) is alternating in either interpretation, so D.

Likes DameLight
The correct answer ended up being:

1. A
2. C
3. D
4. D
5. C
6. D

Thank you for your help : )

DameLight said:
The correct answer ended up being:

1. A
2. C
3. D
4. D
5. C
6. D

Thank you for your help : )
How do you get 5 C? Did you read my detailed explanation?

Ray Vickson said:
How do you get 5 C? Did you read my detailed explanation?

Why wouldn't the comparison test apply in ##5##? You can do ##n+1\leq \alpha^n## for some small enough ##\alpha>1##.

micromass said:
Why wouldn't the comparison test apply in ##5##? You can do ##n+1\leq \alpha^n## for some small enough ##\alpha>1##.

OK. That would be an answer to my question (why?) that the OP did not answer. For all I know the OP may have used false reasoning.

Ray Vickson said:
OK. That would be an answer to my question (why?) that the OP did not answer. For all I know the OP may have used false reasoning.

I don't want to assume, but that sounded a bit rude.

Still, your explanations are helpful.

I am assuming that going off of your explanation for 5 that we can compare that to a geometric function ∑n=0 anrn and since the absolute value of r is less than 1 we can go ahead and reason that the limit would be equivalent to a/(1-r)

DameLight said:
I don't want to assume, but that sounded a bit rude.

Still, your explanations are helpful.

I am assuming that going off of your explanation for 5 that we can compare that to a geometric function ∑n=0 anrn and since the absolute value of r is less than 1 we can go ahead and reason that the limit would be equivalent to a/(1-r)

No: a geometric series would be ##\sum r^n## (or ##\sum c r^n = c \sum r^n## for constant ##c##), but ##\sum a_n r^n## is NOT a geometric series if ##a_n## varies with ##n##. However, if ##a_n \to c = \text{constant} ## as ##n \to \infty##, then comparison with the series ##\sum c r^n## can be made to work without too much effort (although some extra effort is needed), However, in your case you have ##a_n = n+1 \to +\infty## as ##n \to \infty##, so that type of argument does not work automatically. If you thought it did, that is what what I would call "false reasoning".

However, as 'micromass' has pointed out, if you choose a small enough ##\epsilon > 0## so that ##(1+\epsilon) r < 1##, then for some finite ##N> 0## we have ##n+1 \leq (1+\epsilon)^n## for all ##n \geq N##, so for ##n \geq N## we have ##0 \leq (n+1) r^n \leq [(1+\epsilon) r]^n## and we can compare with the geometric series ##\sum [(1+\epsilon) r]^n##. Note, however, that some such argument as this must be acknowledged and recognized in order for C to be a valid and well-founded answer. Without this realization, just saying it would, again, be false reasoning.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of a converging series?

A converging series is a mathematical sequence of terms that approaches a finite limit as the number of terms increases. In other words, the sum of the terms in the series approaches a specific value as more terms are added.

2. How do you determine if a series is converging or diverging?

To determine if a series is converging or diverging, you can use the convergence tests such as the ratio test, root test, integral test, or comparison test. These tests help to determine if the terms in the series are decreasing and approaching a finite limit or if they are increasing without bound.

3. What is the difference between a geometric and an arithmetic series?

A geometric series is a series in which each term is multiplied by a constant ratio to obtain the next term, while an arithmetic series is a series in which each term is obtained by adding a constant value to the previous term. In other words, a geometric series has a constant ratio between terms, while an arithmetic series has a constant difference between terms.

4. Can a series have both converging and diverging parts?

Yes, a series can have both converging and diverging parts. For example, a series could have a finite number of terms that are converging, followed by an infinite number of terms that are diverging. In this case, the series as a whole would be considered diverging.

5. How does the rate of convergence affect the behavior of a series?

The rate of convergence describes how quickly a series approaches its finite limit. A series with a faster rate of convergence will approach its limit more quickly than a series with a slower rate of convergence. This can affect the behavior of the series, as a series with a slower rate of convergence may take longer to reach its limit and may exhibit more fluctuation in its terms.