Identifying variables from Riemann sum limits

In summary, the conversation is about finding the original form of an expanded Riemann sum and determining the values for a, b, and f. The formula for calculating the sum of squares is also mentioned. The value of ∆x is discussed, with a suggested guess of 2/n. The general form of the terms is guessed to be f(x) = x^2 + 1, and it is related to f(a + i∆x) where a = 0 and b = 2.
crememars
Homework Statement
Consider the following limit of a Riemann sum for a function f on [a, b]. Identify f, a, and b,
and express the limit as a definite integral.

*see actual expression in the description below. it was too complicated to type out so I included a picture instead.
Relevant Equations
∆x = (b-a)/n
xiR = a + i∆x
xiL = a + (i-1)∆x
1678753965145.png

Hi! I understand that this is an expanded Riemann sum but I'm having trouble determining its original form. I don't actually have any ideas as to how to find it, but I know that once I determine the original form of the Riemann sum, I will be able to figure out the values for a, b, and f.

If anyone could suggest how to proceed I would really appreciate it. Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The last term is 2. For the other sums you shall use the formula
[tex]1^2+2^2+3^2+...+n^2=\frac{n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6}[/tex]

Likes crememars
crememars said:
Hi! I understand that this is an expanded Riemann sum but I'm having trouble determining its original form. I don't actually have any ideas as to how to find it, but I know that once I determine the original form of the Riemann sum, I will be able to figure out the values for a, b, and f.

If anyone could suggest how to proceed I would really appreciate it. Thank you :)

Compare the sum to [tex]
\Delta x \sum_{i=1}^{n} f(a + i\Delta x).[/tex] What would be a good guess for [itex]\Delta x[/itex]? One of the terms is given explicitly as [tex]
\frac{4(n^2 - 2n + 1)}{n^2} =\frac{4(n-1)^2}{n^2}.[/tex] Can you guess the general form of the terms, and is your guess consistent with the first few terms given? How would you relate that general form to [itex]f(a + i\Delta x)[/itex]?

Likes crememars
forgot to answer ! thank you for your help @pasmith and @anuttarasammyak :) I separated the terms and got f(x)= x^2 + 1

xiR = 2i/n -> x^2
n is just the riemann sum of 1 -> +1
∆x = 2/n

xiR = a + i∆x = a + 2i/n = 2i/n so a = 0 and b = 2

1. What is a Riemann sum?

A Riemann sum is a method used in calculus to approximate the area under a curve by dividing the region into smaller rectangles and summing their areas.

2. How do you identify the variables in a Riemann sum?

The variables in a Riemann sum are typically the upper and lower limits of integration, as well as the function being integrated.

3. What is the purpose of identifying variables in a Riemann sum?

Identifying variables in a Riemann sum allows for the calculation of an accurate approximation of the area under a curve, which is useful in many applications of calculus.

4. Can the variables in a Riemann sum change?

Yes, the variables in a Riemann sum can change depending on the specific problem being solved. They may also change as the number of rectangles used in the approximation increases.

5. Are there any limitations to identifying variables in a Riemann sum?

One limitation is that the Riemann sum method only provides an approximation of the area under a curve, and the accuracy of the approximation depends on the number of rectangles used. Additionally, the Riemann sum method is only applicable to continuous functions.