Identity involving exponential of operators

In summary, the conversation discusses a formula seen in a paper and asks for help in deriving it. The formula involves the operators ##\partial_x## and ##y##, and it is shown that by iteration, it can be simplified to ##[\partial_x, y] = 0##. The conversation also suggests using LaTeX for easier reading of formulae.
thatboi
Hey all,
I saw a formula in this paper: (https://arxiv.org/pdf/physics/0011069.pdf), specifically equation (22):
1680505109627.png

and wanted to know if anyone knew how to derive it. It doesn't seem like a simple application of BCH to me.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please use LaTeX to type formulae. It's much easier to read!

The trick is that
$$(\partial_x - \mathrm{i} e/\hbar By)\psi (\vec{x}) = \exp(\mathrm{i} e B x y/\hbar) \partial_x \left [\exp(-\mathrm{i} e B x y/\hbar) \psi(\vec{x}) \right]$$
for all ##\psi(\vec{x})## (in the domain of the operators applied ;-)).

By iteration it's further easy to see that for ##k \in \mathbb{N}##
$$(\partial_x - \mathrm{i} e/\hbar By)^k\psi (\vec{x}) = \exp(\mathrm{i} e B x y/\hbar) \partial_x^k \left [\exp(-\mathrm{i} e B x y/\hbar) \psi(\vec{x}) \right].$$
Plugging this into the series defining the operator exponential you get Eq. (22) of the paper.

Likes thatboi, topsquark and gentzen
Or, leaving out a lot of details: ##[\partial _x, y] = 0##.

-Dan

1. What is the identity involving exponential of operators?

The identity involving exponential of operators is a mathematical equation that relates the exponential of two operators to the product of their exponentials. It is commonly used in quantum mechanics and other areas of physics to simplify calculations involving operators.

2. How is the identity involving exponential of operators derived?

The identity is derived using the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula, which is a mathematical tool for calculating the exponential of operators. It involves expanding the exponential of two operators into a series and then rearranging the terms to obtain the identity.

3. What are the applications of the identity involving exponential of operators?

The identity is used in various areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics, quantum field theory, and statistical mechanics. It is also used in signal processing and control theory. It simplifies calculations involving operators and makes it easier to solve complex problems.

4. Can the identity involving exponential of operators be generalized to more than two operators?

Yes, the identity can be generalized to any number of operators. The formula becomes more complex as the number of operators increases, but it follows the same principles as the two-operator case.

5. Are there any limitations to the identity involving exponential of operators?

The identity is only applicable to operators that commute with each other. If two operators do not commute, then the identity cannot be used. Additionally, it is only valid for finite-dimensional vector spaces.