Identity permutation as product of even number of 2-cycles

In summary, according to Gallian, r can't be 1 since then it won't map all elements to themselves. If r=2, then it's already even, nothing else to do. If r>2, then consider the last two factors: ##\beta_{r-1} \beta_r##. Let the last one be (ab). If the rightmost 2-cycle is (ab), then r is even.
Kaguro
Homework Statement
Prove that the identity permutation can be written as ##\beta_1 \beta_2...\beta_{r-1} \beta_r## where ##\beta## are 2-cycles and r is even.
Relevant Equations
None
The book I'm following (Gallian) basically says:

r can't be 1 since then it won't map all elements to themselves.

If r=2, then it's already even, nothing else to do.

If r>2,
Then consider the last two factors: ##\beta_{r-1} \beta_r##.
Let the last one be (ab).

Since the order of elements inside a two cycle is irrelevant (xy)=(yx), all possible ways to write the last two factors are:

(ab)(ab)
(ac)(ab)
(bc)(ab)
(cd)(ab)

Why?!

What happened to the other ones like : (ad)(ab) and (bd)(ab) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kaguro said:
Homework Statement:: Prove that the identity permutation can be written as ##\beta_1 \beta_2...\beta_{r-1} \beta_r## where ##\beta## are 2-cycles and r is even.
Relevant Equations:: None

The book I'm following (Gallian) basically says:
r can't be 1 since then it won't map all elements to themselves.
If r=2, then it's already even, nothing else to do.
If r>2,
Then consider the last two factors: ##\beta_{r-1} \beta_r##.
Let the last one be (ab).
Since the order of elements inside a two cycle is irrelevant (xy)=(yx), all possible ways to write the last two factors are:
(ab)(ab)
(ac)(ab)
(bc)(ab)
(cd)(ab)

Why?!

What happened to the other ones like : (ad)(ab) and (bd)(ab) ?
I don't understand the problem. Are you sure you translated it correctly? You can always write ##1=\prod_{k=1}^ng_k \cdot \left(\prod_{k=1}^ng_k\right)^{-1} ## in any group. Here e.g. ##(1)=\ldots (ef)(cd)(ab)(ab)(cd)(ef)\ldots##

Kaguro said:
Check this one:
https://math.stackexchange.com/ques...itten-as-the-product-of-r-transpositions-then

All the answers mention that if (ab) is the last element then there can be only 4 types of transpositions possible for the second last element.
Maybe, but you said: "if ... then can be written as ... " and I gave the answer that this is always trivially the case:
$$
1 = g_n (g_{n-1}(g_{n-2}(\ldots (g_3(g_2(g_1g_1^{-1})g_2^{-1})g_3^{-1}) \ldots )g_{n-2}^{-1})g_{n-1}^{-1})g_n^{-1}
$$
##2n## elements whose product is ##1## - in any group.

Likes Kaguro
See the proof from Gallian textbook:

Clearly, r ##\neq 1##, since a 2-cycle is not the identity. If r = 2, we
are done. So, we suppose that r > 2, and we proceed by induction.Suppose that the rightmost 2-cycle is (ab). Then, since (ij) = ( ji), the product ##\beta_{r-1} \beta_r## can be expressed in one of the following forms shown on the right:
e= (ab)(ab),
(ab)(bc) = (ac)(ab),
(ac)(cb) = (bc)(ab),
(ab)(cd) = (cd)(ab).

If the first case occurs, we may delete ##\beta_{r-1} \beta_r ## from the original product
to obtain ##\epsilon =\beta_1 \beta_2 ... \beta_{r-2}##, and therefore, by the Second Principle of
Mathematical Induction, r -2 is even. In the other three cases, we replace the form of ##\beta_{r-1} \beta_r## on the right by its counterpart on the left to obtain a new product of r 2-cycles that is still the identity, but where the rightmost occurrence of the integer a is in the second-from-the-rightmost 2-cycle of the product instead of the rightmost 2-cycle.

We now repeat the procedure just described with ##\beta_{r-2} \beta_{r-1}##, and, as before, we
obtain a product of (r - 2) 2-cycles equal to the identity or a new product of r 2-cycles, where the rightmost occurrence of a is in the third 2-cycle from the right. Continuing this process, we must obtain a product of
(r - 2) 2-cycles equal to the identity, because otherwise we have a product equal to the identity in which the only occurrence of the integer a is in the leftmost 2-cycle, and such a product does not fix a, whereas the identity does. Hence, by the Second Principle of Mathematical Induction, r - 2 is even, and r is even as well.

I don't understand how can the author say only these are the possible elements..

Can you help me?

fresh_42 said:
Maybe, but you said: "if ... then can be written as ... " and I gave the answer that this is always trivially the case:
$$
1 = g_n (g_{n-1}(g_{n-2}(\ldots (g_3(g_2(g_1g_1^{-1})g_2^{-1})g_3^{-1}) \ldots )g_{n-2}^{-1})g_{n-1}^{-1})g_n^{-1}
$$
##2n## elements whose product is ##1## - in any group.
Yes. I see this is obviously one way to write the identity. I'm trying to see why every possible identity has to be a product of even number of 2-cycles?

Firstly, I think the statement which is proven is another than you wrote it is. It says:

If we have a product of length ##r## of transpositions which multiply to the identity, then ##r## is necessarily even.

It doesn't say there is such a representation, it says if there is such a representation, then its length is even. It is a step towards the theorem that the sign function is a group homomorphism ##\varphi \, : \,\operatorname{Sym}(n) \longrightarrow \{\pm 1\}\, , \,\varphi (\sigma )=(-1)^r##.

Secondly, that there are only four possibilities is a simple observation: Given ##(ab)## as last transposition on the right, and having another transposition ##(xy)## on the left of it, then there are obviously four possibilities:
##\{a,b\}\cap\{x,y\}=\{a,b\}\, , \,\{a,b\}\cap\{x,y\}=\{a\}\, , \,\{a,b\}\cap\{x,y\}=\{b\}\, , \,\{a,b\}\cap\{x,y\}=\emptyset ##. These are all possible constellations for the numbers ##x,y.##

Likes Kaguro
fresh_42 said:
Secondly, that there are only four possibilities is a simple observation: Given ##(ab)## as last transposition on the right, and having another transposition ##(xy)## on the left of it, then there are obviously four possibilities:
##\{a,b\}\cap\{x,y\}=\{a,b\}\, , \,\{a,b\}\cap\{x,y\}=\{a\}\, , \,\{a,b\}\cap\{x,y\}=\{b\}\, , \,\{a,b\}\cap\{x,y\}=\emptyset ##. These are all possible constellations for the numbers ##x,y.##
... Oh.

Didn't think of it like that.. So c and d are just placeholders for any number which is not a and b. So (bc) and (bd) are equivalent. And (ac) and (ad) are equivalent...

Right... I'm an idiot.

Thank you very much! Now I can progress.:biggrin:

1. What is an identity permutation?

An identity permutation is a type of permutation in which the elements are arranged in the same order as they are in the original sequence. This means that no element is moved or changed in any way.

2. What is a 2-cycle?

A 2-cycle is a type of permutation in which two elements are swapped with each other, while all other elements remain in their original positions. This is also known as a transposition.

3. How is an identity permutation expressed as a product of even number of 2-cycles?

An identity permutation can be expressed as a product of an even number of 2-cycles by breaking down the permutation into smaller cycles and then combining them in pairs. Since an even number of 2-cycles are used, the final result will be the same as the original sequence.

4. Why is it important to express an identity permutation as a product of even number of 2-cycles?

Expressing an identity permutation as a product of even number of 2-cycles is important because it helps us understand the structure of the permutation and how it can be broken down into smaller cycles. This can also be useful in solving certain mathematical problems and proving certain theorems.

5. Can an identity permutation be expressed as a product of odd number of 2-cycles?

No, an identity permutation cannot be expressed as a product of an odd number of 2-cycles. This is because an odd number of 2-cycles would result in a different permutation, where at least one element would be moved from its original position. An identity permutation, by definition, has no elements moved or changed, so it cannot be expressed as a product of an odd number of 2-cycles.