Hermiticity of AB where A and B are Hermitian operator?

In summary: But neither of these are ##AB##.So in summary, proving Hermiticity of the operator AB is not guaranteed with Hermitian operators A and B, and it can be shown by finding a counterexample of two Hermitian operators that do not commute. The symmetric product of AB and BA is always Hermitian, but AB itself may not be Hermitian. The product AB-BA is also Hermitian, but it is not the same as AB. Therefore, Hermiticity is not guaranteed with Hermitian operators A and B.
Haynes Kwon
Gold Member
Trying to prove Hermiticity of the operator AB is not guaranteed with Hermitian operators A and B and this is what I got:
$$<\Psi|AB|\Phi> = <\Psi|AB\Phi> = ab<\Psi|\Phi>=<B^+A^+\Psi|\Phi>=<BA\Psi|\Phi>=b^*a^*<\Psi|\Phi>$$
but since A and B are Hermitian eigenvalues a and b are real,
Therefore we have
$$ ab<\Psi|\Phi>=b^*a^*<\Psi|\Phi>$$ since multiplication of the numbers commutes, this is same as
$$b^*a^*<\Psi|\Phi>=a^*b^*<\Psi|\Phi> = <AB\Psi|\Phi>$$
So Hermiticity is guaranteed?

[Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Haynes Kwon said:
Trying to prove Hermiticity of the operator AB is not guaranteed with Hermitian operators A and B and this is what I got:
$$<\Psi|AB|\Phi> = <\Psi|AB\Phi> = ab<\Psi|\Phi>=<B^+A^+\Psi|\Phi>=<BA\Psi|\Phi>=b^*a^*<\Psi|\Phi>$$
but since A and B are Hermitian eigenvalues a and b are real,
Therefore we have
$$ ab<\Psi|\Phi>=b^*a^*<\Psi|\Phi>$$ since multiplication of the numbers commutes, this is same as
$$b^*a^*<\Psi|\Phi>=a^*b^*<\Psi|\Phi> = <AB\Psi|\Phi>$$

First, you cannot assume that ##\Phi, \Psi## are eigenvectors of ##A, B##.

What is the definition of Hermicity?

Do you know any results for taking the Hermitian conjugate of a product?

PeroK said:
First, you cannot assume that ##\Phi, \Psi## are eigenvectors of ##A, B##.

What is the definition of Hermicity?

Do you know any results for taking the Hermitian conjugate of a product?
Definition of Hermicity is $$<\Psi|A|\Phi> = <\Psi|A\Phi> = <A\Psi|\Phi>$$ so, $$A^+ = A $$ Taking the Hermitian conjugate of a product AB yields ##B^+A^+##.

If I cannot assume that the two wavefunctions are not eignvectors of A,B, how should I approach this proof?

Haynes Kwon said:
If I cannot assume that the two wavefunctions are not eignvectors of A,B, how should I approach this proof?

This is a good start:

Haynes Kwon said:
Taking the Hermitian conjugate of a product AB yields ##B^+A^+##.

$$(AB)^+ = B^+A^+ = BA $$ since A and B are Hermitian operators. Now I have to prove the commutator ##[A,B] = AB - BA## may be non-zero. I will try to compute ##[A,B]<\Psi|\Phi>##

Haynes Kwon said:
$$(AB)^+ = B^+A^+ = BA $$ since A and B are Hermitian operators. Now I have to prove the commutator ##[A,B] = AB - BA## may be non-zero. I will try to compute ##[A,B]<\Psi|\Phi>##

You could find an example of two Hermitian operators that do not commute. You might already know of such an example.

PeroK said:
You could find an example of two Hermitian operators that do not commute. You might already know of such an example.
I know ##[x,p]## is not zero, so this could be the counter example. But is there any way to generalize this proof?

Haynes Kwon said:
I know ##[x,p]## is not zero, so this could be the counter example. But is there any way to generalize this proof?

Generalise in what way? What you have shown is that the product is Hermitian if and only if the operators commute. That is a complete statement of the answer.

In general, therefore, the product is not Hermitian. Although you might think that perhaps all Hermitian operators commute, so you need to find an example of two that don't commute.

Position and momentum operators are one example. But, also, you could look at Hermitian 2x2 matrices - that's the simplest system to look at. All you have to do is find two Hermitian 2x2 matrices that do not commute. One counterexample is enough.

Haynes Kwon said:
No, if ##A## and ##B## are hermitian, then ##AB## does not need to be hermitian. However, the symmetric product
$$\frac{1}{2}(AB+BA)$$
is always hermitian.

Likes vanhees71
Does this mean that (AB-BA) is also hermitian, and if you might by "i" such as i(AB-BA) and since A and B are hermitian, this product is no longer real, therefore not hermitian?

:welcome:

MatthewKrup said:
Does this mean that (AB-BA) is also hermitian
You should be able to prove or disprove this yourself.
MatthewKrup said:
and if you might by "i" such as i(AB-BA) and since A and B are hermitian, this product is no longer real, therefore not hermitian?
This is very confused. If ##A## is Hermitian, then ##iA## is skew-Hermitian. Hermitian is not the same as "real".

You can, however, put these two things together to show that if ##A, B## are Hermitian, then so is:
$$\frac{1}{2i}(AB - BA)$$

Likes vanhees71
and
$$\frac{1}{2}(AB+BA)$$
too.

1. What does it mean for an operator to be Hermitian?

Hermiticity is a property of operators in quantum mechanics. An operator is considered Hermitian if it is equal to its own conjugate transpose. In other words, the operator is equal to its own complex conjugate when the order of multiplication is reversed.

2. How can I determine if an operator is Hermitian?

To determine if an operator is Hermitian, you can check if it is equal to its own conjugate transpose. This can be done by taking the complex conjugate of the operator and then transposing it. If the result is equal to the original operator, then it is Hermitian.

3. What is the significance of Hermitian operators in quantum mechanics?

Hermitian operators are important in quantum mechanics because they represent observables or physical quantities. This means that the eigenvalues of a Hermitian operator are the possible outcomes of a measurement, and the corresponding eigenvectors are the states of the system associated with those outcomes.

4. Can any two Hermitian operators commute?

No, not all Hermitian operators commute. Commutativity is a property of operators that determines if they can be measured simultaneously. Two Hermitian operators will commute if and only if their eigenvectors are the same.

5. What is the relationship between the Hermiticity of AB and the Hermiticity of A and B separately?

If A and B are both Hermitian operators, then AB will also be Hermitian if and only if A and B commute. This means that the order in which the operators are multiplied does not matter. However, if A and B do not commute, then AB will not be Hermitian.