If a steel ball were to fall, how far away would it land

In summary, the conversation discusses the scenario of dropping a steel ball from a variable height and it bounces elastically off a steel ramp on the ground which is at a 45 degree angle. The question is how to calculate the distance the ball will land from where it was dropped. The conversation also delves into the use of the SUVAT equations and the angle at which the ball bounces from the ramp. Further, there is a suggestion to make a drawing to better understand the scenario. Finally, it is concluded that a 22.5 degree angle for the ramp results in the worst-case range.
Thara
Hello!
Imagine you drop a steel ball of weight x from a variable height y.

the ball hits a steel ramp on the ground which is at 45 degree's

I would like to know how I could work out how far away the ball will land.

I have had a good look around for this however the closest thing I can find is the height that the ball would bounce which is not what I am looking at :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Thara, :welcome:

Here at PF, the guidelines require homework questions to be posted in the homework section. A very useful template there helps you get started:

Homework Statement

how far away from where?​

Homework Equations

What equations could help you out here ?​

The Attempt at a Solution

Thara said:
the closest thing I can find
Find ? You mean calculate ?​

BvU said:
Hello Thara, :welcome:

Here at PF, the guidelines require homework questions to be posted in the homework section. A very useful template there helps you get started:

Homework Statement

how far away from where?​

Homework Equations

What equations could help you out here ?​

The Attempt at a Solution

Find ? You mean calculate ?​
This is not a homework question otherwise I would have posted it in the homework forum.

How far away from the place it was dropped.

I was considering the SUVAT equation but I didnt get very far with it.

Thara said:
This is not a homework question otherwise I would have posted it in the homework forum.
Ok, just curiosity then ?

To make a real exercise out of this we change
Thara said:
the ball hits a steel ramp on the ground which is at 45 degree's
to:
bounces elastically off a steel ramp on the ground which is at 45 degrees wrt horizontal. Disregard any change in rotation of the ball.

Still need the suvat equations, but have to add something for the collision. I propose something like: speed of the ball remains the same, direction changes just like with a ray of light on a mirror.

PS the thread is still moved to HW because that's where it belongs

I am investigation exclusion zones on building sites,

I have attached my attempt at working it out, The answer that I get is about 4 times greater that the preferable answer.. I am unsure what factors I could use to reduce this?
upload_2017-8-17_10-55-10.png

upload_2017-8-17_10-55-37.png

Thara said:
I am investigation exclusion zones on building sites,

I have attached my attempt at working it out, The answer that I get is about 4 times greater that the preferable answer.. I am unsure what factors I could use to reduce this?
As I read your work, you have used theta ("##\theta##") as the angle at which the steel ball rebounds. You have assumed that theta is equal to 45 degrees. But per the givens of the problem, the steel plate on the ground is at 45 degrees. For an energy-preserving bounce, the angle of incidence (measured from the perpendicular) will be equal to the angle of reflection (again, measured from the perpendicular). With that in mind, can you calculate the angle at which the steel ball will bounce from a 45 degree plate?

What would the plate angle have to be to get a bounce at a 45 degree angle?

would that be 135 degrees?

Thara said:
would that be 135 degrees?
If 45 degrees is at a slant facing East then 135 degrees would be at a slant facing West.

jbriggs444 said:
If 45 degrees is at a slant facing East then 135 degrees would be at a slant facing West.
I'm not getting where you are going with this

Thara said:
I'm not getting where you are going with this
If a steel ball falling vertically hits a plate that is angled at 45 degrees from the horizontal, it strikes that plate at an angle that is 45 degrees away from being perpendicular, right?

At what angle will it rebound?

will it be perpendicular to the ground? I.e. no y direction?

Thara said:
will it be perpendicular to the ground? I.e. no y direction?
Parallel to the ground, rather. Yes, it will have zero velocity in the y direction.

Dear thara,

Make a drawing !

upload_2017-8-17_16-17-2.png

Incoming velocity vi has a component along the mirror (left blue) that is unchanged (lower green)
And a component along the perpendicular (right blue that bounces (is reversed): upper green.
Two green components add up to outgoung velocity (right red).

For your exercise (:smile:) it might indeed be more sensible to let the mirror be at 22.5 degrees wrt horizontal. Make a similar drawing to convince yourself the outgoing velocity is then at 45 degrees.

And yes, in such a case you indeed get a considerable horizontal distance of travel !

More, in fact, than you calculated: in the y-direction the vertical velocty at impact is not zero but the negative of the initial velocity. As you can see from your own drawing.

It is a nice exercise to show that this 22.5 degrees indeed gives the worst-case range :rolleyes: .

1. What factors affect how far a steel ball will land when dropped?

The distance a steel ball will land when dropped depends on several factors, such as the height from which it is dropped, air resistance, and the angle at which it is dropped.

2. Is there a formula to calculate how far a steel ball will land when dropped?

Yes, there is a formula that can be used to calculate the distance a steel ball will land when dropped. It takes into account the initial height, gravitational acceleration, and the angle at which the ball is dropped. This formula is: d = (v2sin2θ)/g, where d is the distance, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle, and g is the gravitational acceleration.

3. Can the surface where the steel ball is dropped affect the landing distance?

Yes, the surface where the steel ball is dropped can affect the landing distance. Rough surfaces can cause the ball to bounce and roll, while smooth surfaces will allow it to slide and come to a stop sooner.

4. How does air resistance impact how far a steel ball will land?

Air resistance can significantly impact how far a steel ball will land. As the ball falls, it will experience air resistance, which will slow it down. This means that the ball will not travel as far as it would in a vacuum or with less air resistance.

5. Can the weight of the steel ball affect how far it will land when dropped?

Yes, the weight of the steel ball can affect how far it will land when dropped. A heavier ball will have more gravitational potential energy, meaning it will fall faster and, therefore, land farther away. However, this effect may be small and may not be noticeable for smaller differences in weight.