If all elements of a set are individually bounded, is the set bounded?

In summary: Each number in the set is bounded by 1, 2, or 3, but there exists an infinite number of numbers in the set that are not bounded.
leinadle
This is a concise question, so the title pretty much says it all. Also, this is not a HW question, but the idea has subtly popped up in two homework problems that I have done in the past. I cannot justify why the entire set would be bounded, because we know nothing of the nature of the boundedness of each element; i.e. the bounds themselves could grow without bound, e.g. if each element a_n is bounded by n, then surely the set is not bounded.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your question needs to be made a lot more precise, if S is any subset of the reals each individual element of S is trivially bounded , as if x is a real number x+1 is an upper bound for x

Office_Shredder said:
Your question needs to be made a lot more precise, if S is any subset of the reals each individual element of S is trivially bounded , as if x is a real number x+1 is an upper bound for x

Sorry for the vagueness, here is an example. Suppose we have an infinite sequence of functions {f_n(x):R -> R}, each of which is bounded by some M_n > 0; i.e. |f_n(x)| < M_n for all x in R. Can we say that there exists an M > 0 such that |f_n(x)| < M for all n and for all x in R?

Office_Shredder said:

I suppose the answer to my question must be no, after reading your response again. If I consider the set S which consists of all positive reals then each element is individually bounded by the x+1 argument, but S is certainly not bounded since R is unbounded. However, this logic is really bugging me for some reason. It seems to suggest that since the set isn't bounded, how can we possibly state that there exists an element that isn't bounded when we know that x+1 is a bound for that number. What piece of logic am I missing here? I feel like Ouroboros.

leinadle said:
I suppose the answer to my question must be no

True. A simple counterexample is ##f_n(x) = n## which makes the functions question exactly the same as Office Shredder's post.

I don't know what is bugging you about this, but it is pretty much the same as any divergent series. For example ##\sum_{k=1}^n \frac{1}{k}## is finite for every integer ##n##, but ##\sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac{1}{k}## diverges. When your proposition in the OP is false, the ##M_n## are a divergent series

Likes 1 person

Related to If all elements of a set are individually bounded, is the set bounded?

1. What does it mean for a set to be bounded?

A set is considered bounded if all of its elements have a finite value and there exists a number (or set of numbers) that serves as an upper and lower bound for the set.

2. Are there different types of sets that can be considered bounded?

Yes, there are two types of bounded sets: finite and infinite. A finite set has a limited number of elements and can be easily bounded by finding the maximum and minimum values. An infinite set, on the other hand, has an infinite number of elements and requires a more complex approach to determine its bounds.

3. How can I prove that a set is bounded?

To prove that a set is bounded, you must show that all of its elements have a finite value and that there exists a number (or set of numbers) that serves as an upper and lower bound for the set. This can be done by finding the maximum and minimum values of the set and showing that they serve as upper and lower bounds. Alternatively, you can use a mathematical proof to show that the set is bounded.

4. Is a set with an infinite number of elements always unbounded?

No, not necessarily. It is possible for a set with an infinite number of elements to still be bounded. For example, the set of all positive real numbers is infinite, but it is bounded by 0 as a lower bound and any positive number as an upper bound.

5. Can a set be partially bounded?

Yes, a set can be partially bounded if only some of its elements have finite values and there exists a number (or set of numbers) that serves as an upper and lower bound for those elements. However, if any element in the set is unbounded, then the entire set is considered unbounded.