If f is undefined at x=a, can f' exist at x=a?

• Thread starter docnet
  • Start date
In summary: Weierstraß's notation is a more general way of writing the equation for the derivative. It is also useful for complex numbers.
docnet
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
It isn't a homework problem, but a general problem about functions and their derivatives.

I want to say if ##f## is undefined at ##x=a##, then ##f## has a discontinuity at ##x=a## so ##f'## cannot exist at at ##x=a##.

For example the following function and its derivative
$$f=\frac{1}{x-a}$$ $$f'=-\frac{1}{(x-a)^2}$$
are both undefined at ##x=a##.side question: Is it wrong to say that there is correspondence of discontinuities between the quotients of smooth functions and their derivatives. Is this statement wrong in general?

Physics news on Phys.org
Write down the definition of f'(a), and see if it requires being able to compute f(a).

• Love
Likes docnet
Not defined does not necessarily mean a discontinuity. ##x \longmapsto \sqrt{x}## isn't defined at ##x=-1## but this is hardly a discontinuity.

If a function isn't defined at a point, then it cannot have a derivative there.

• Love
Likes docnet
'(z)
Office_Shredder said:
Write down the definition of f'(a), and see if it requires being able to compute f(a).
$$f'(a)=Lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{f(a+h)-f(a)}{h}$$ is undefined if ##f(a)## is undefined

fresh_42 said:
Not defined does not necessarily mean a discontinuity. ##x \longmapsto \sqrt{x}## isn't defined at ##x=-1## but this is hardly a discontinuity.

If a function isn't defined at a point, then it cannot have a derivative there.
sorry i don't follow. could you please explain the first statement?

You should look at the exact definitions you are using for continuity and derivatives to see if they are satisfied for a function that is undefined at a single point. In my experience, the function needs to be defined and continuous in order to have a derivative there.

• Love
Likes docnet
docnet said:
sorry i don't follow. could you please explain the first statement?
Discontinuity and not defined are different properties.

##\sqrt{-1}## is not defined (as real function), but you cannot (or should not) say ##\sqrt{x}## is discontinuous at ##x=-1.##

\begin{align*}
f(x)=\begin{cases} 1 &\text{ if } x \leq 1\\0&\text{ if } x>1 \end{cases}
\end{align*}
is discontinuous at ##x=1## but it is defined.

• Love
Likes docnet
My favorite notation of a derivative is
$$ f(x_{0}+v)=f(x_{0})+D_{x_0}(v)+r(v) \Longleftrightarrow D_{x_0}(v)=f(x_0+v)-f(x_0)-r(v)$$
You can see immediately that the right hand side needs three defined terms.

• Love
Likes FactChecker and docnet
fresh_42 said:
My favorite notation of a derivative is
$$ f(x_{0}+v)=f(x_{0})+D_{x_0}(v)+r(v) \Longleftrightarrow D_{x_0}(v)=f(x_0+v)-f(x_0)-r(v)$$
You can see immediately that the right hand side needs three defined terms.
to be honest I'm still confused. how did you derive this and what does ##r## and ##v## mean?

docnet said:
to be honest I'm still confused. how did you derive this and what does ##r## and ##v## mean?

Wasn't me, was Weierstraß.
\begin{align*}
D_{x_0}=f'(x_0)&=\lim_{h \to 0} \dfrac{f(x_0+h)-f(x_0)}{h}\\
D_{x_0} &= \dfrac{f(x_0+h)-f(x_0)}{h} - \underbrace{\varepsilon (h)}_{\longrightarrow 0}\\[10pt]
D_{x_0}\cdot h &=f(x_0+h)-f(x_0)- \underbrace{\varepsilon (h) \cdot h}_{=:r(h)}\\[10pt]
f(x_0+h)&=f(x_0)+D_{x_0}h+r(h)=f(x_0)+f'(x_0)\cdot h+r(h)
\end{align*}
It reads that the approximation of ##f## near ##x_0,## i.e. the value ##f(x_0+h)## where ##h## is small, equals the linear term ##D_{x_0}=f'(x_0)## in direction ##h## plus a remainder function ##r(h)##. This remainder swallows the limit. It goes faster to zero than ##h## does, because
$$
\lim_{h\to 0} \dfrac{r(h)}{h}=\lim_{h\to 0} \varepsilon (h)=0
$$
The advantage of Weierstraß's notation is, that it works in all dimensions and for complex numbers, too. It also shows that a derivative is always a directional derivative. Ok, for real-valued functions in one real variable there is only one direction (or two if you distinguish plus and minus), but this defining equation remains the same if we have more than one variable. All that changes is that we write ##v## instead of ##h## for the direction, and have to divide ##r(v)## by ##\|v\|## instead.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes FactChecker and docnet

1. What does it mean for a function to be undefined at a specific point?

When a function is undefined at a specific point, it means that the value of the function at that point is not defined or does not exist. This can happen when there is a discontinuity or a hole in the graph of the function, or when the function approaches a vertical asymptote.

2. Can a function be undefined at a point and still have a derivative at that point?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be undefined at a specific point and still have a derivative at that point. This can happen when the function has a removable discontinuity at that point, meaning that the function can be redefined at that point to make it continuous.

3. How is the existence of a derivative related to the existence of a function at a point?

The existence of a derivative at a point is dependent on the existence of the function at that point. If the function is not defined at a point, then the derivative cannot exist at that point. However, the converse is not always true, as explained in the previous question.

4. Can a function have a derivative at a point and still be undefined at that point?

Yes, it is possible for a function to have a derivative at a specific point and still be undefined at that point. This can happen when the function has a vertical tangent at that point, meaning that the slope of the function at that point is undefined.

5. How can we determine if a function has a derivative at a point where it is undefined?

To determine if a function has a derivative at a point where it is undefined, we can use the limit definition of the derivative. If the limit of the difference quotient as x approaches the point in question exists, then the function has a derivative at that point. However, if the limit does not exist, then the function does not have a derivative at that point.