If f(x)=(e^x+e^-x)/2, what is the inverse function?

In summary: Yes, this is usually done.Puttingg : [1,\infty ) \to [0,\infty ),\quad g(x) := \ln (x+\sqrt{x^2-1})one can verify that ##g\circ \cosh## and ##\cosh \circ g## are the identities. From ##y_+y_- = 1## it follows that ## \ln y_- < 0##, so it couldn't be the correct choice in this case.But it's completely fine to define ##\cosh## on the negative side. In that case, for the inverse, one also opts for ##\ln
Darkmisc
Homework Statement
If f(x)=(e^x+e^-x)/2, what is the inverse function?
Relevant Equations
f(x)=(e^x+e^-x)/2
Hi everyone

This is the solution for the problem.

image_2022-06-18_142157071.png

I don't understand how they got from
image_2022-06-18_142300299.png

To
1655526208447.png

This was my attempt at a solution

WIN_20220618_14_09_15_Scan.jpg

I can't seem to get rid of one of the y terms and am left with one on each side.

Could someone explain the solution to me please?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes WWGD, Delta2 and Darkmisc
##e^x + e^{-x}## is not injective in ##\mathbb R## (even function). You should assume either ##x<0## or ##x>0##.

Likes Darkmisc and Delta2
note: x = (1/2)(e^y + e^-y) = cos(iy). so the inverse is -i.arccos(x).

• Wow
Likes nuuskur and PeroK
mathwonk said:
note: x = (1/2)(e^y + e^-y) = cos(iy). so the inverse is -i.arccos(x).

We call that function "cosh", so the inverse is [itex]\operatorname{arccosh}(x)[/itex].

Likes PeroK
pasmith said:
We call that function "cosh", so the inverse is [itex]\operatorname{arccosh}(x)[/itex].
Isn't it just a local inverse, as @nuuskur pointed out?

er sorry $$\operatorname{arccosh}(x)=-i\arccos(x)$$?

Btw there is a silly typo that was spotted successfully by @FactChecker the quadratic with respect to ##e^y## is ##(e^y)^2-2xe^y+1=0## for which you can set ##z=e^y## solve it for z(x) as a normal quadratic and then take $$e^y=z(x)\Rightarrow y=\ln z(x)$$.

Likes Maarten Havinga
Delta2 said:
er sorry $$\operatorname{arccosh}(x)=-i\arccos(x)$$?

Btw there is a silly typo that was spotted successfully by @FactChecker the quadratic with respect to ##e^y## is ##(e^y)^2-2xe^y+1=0## for which you can set ##z=e^y## solve it for z(x) as a normal quadratic and then take $$e^y=z(x)\Rightarrow y=\ln z(x)$$.
With the caveats that ##z(x) >0##, and, for well definedness, its an injection, I guess.

Delta2 said:
$$\operatorname{arccosh}(x)=-i\arccos(x)$$?
You're probably confused because you're thinking of cosine defined for reals. If you consider the cosine function defined for complex numbers, it makes sense.

WWGD said:
With the caveats that ##z(x) >0##, and, for well definedness, its an injection, I guess.
If ##y## is real, then ##e^y>0##.

Note that the quadratic has two solutions, ##y_+## and ##y_-##. To make the inverse a function, we arbitrarily choose the positive root and map ##x## to ##y_+##.

It's not obvious, but you can show that ##y_- = -y_+##.

• Skeptical
Likes Delta2 and FactChecker
Am I the only one reacting on the use of ”arccosh” instead of the standard ”arcosh”?

vela said:
Is that true? I don't see it.

Hint: ##(x + \sqrt{x^2-1})(x-\sqrt{x^2-1})=1##.

Orodruin said:
Am I the only one reacting on the use of ”arccosh” instead of the standard ”arcosh”?
I think the "arc" notation is pretty common. Mathematica, for example, calls the function ArcCosh.

In fact, until you pointed it out, I didn't know "arcosh" was the standard way to write it. :smile:

Likes PeroK
vela said:
Mathematica, for example, calls the function ArcCosh.
Mathematica is then not up to ISO 80000-2 standard. 🤔

But yes, it is a fairly common mistake but arccosh would be a misnomer as the function does not relate to arc length but to area (unless measuring in Minkowski geometry….)

vela said:
You're probably confused because you're thinking of cosine defined for reals. If you consider the cosine function defined for complex numbers, it makes sense.If ##y## is real, then ##e^y>0##.

Note that the quadratic has two solutions, ##y_+## and ##y_-##. To make the inverse a function, we arbitrarily choose the positive root and map ##x## to ##y_+##.

Ah, I missed that result before log(z(x)).

vela said:
Hint: ##(x + \sqrt{x^2-1})(x-\sqrt{x^2-1})=1##.
Ehm that is correct but all you can actually prove with this is that ##y_{+}=\frac{1}{y_{-}}##.

Ah ok you mean the solutions to ##e^y=z(x)## or ##e^y=\frac{1}{z(x)}##

Last edited:
For invertibility of ##\cosh x## (in ##\mathbb R##), we usually mean
[tex]
\cosh : [0,\infty) \to [1,\infty),\quad \cosh(x) := \frac{e^x+e^{-x}}{2}.
[/tex]
Putting
[tex]
g : [1,\infty ) \to [0,\infty ),\quad g(x) := \ln (x+\sqrt{x^2-1})
[/tex]
one can verify that ##g\circ \cosh## and ##\cosh \circ g## are the identities. From ##y_+y_- = 1## it follows that ## \ln y_- < 0##, so it couldn't be the correct choice in this case.

But it's completely fine to define ##\cosh## on the negative side. In that case, for the inverse, one also opts for ##\ln y_-##.

1. What is the inverse function of f(x)?

The inverse function of f(x) is denoted as f^-1(x) and is defined as the function that undoes the action of f(x). In other words, if we input the output of f(x) into f^-1(x), we should get back the original input of f(x).

2. How do you find the inverse function of f(x)?

To find the inverse function of f(x), we can follow these steps:

• Replace f(x) with y.
  • Interchange x and y.
  • Solve for y in terms of x.
  • Replace y with f^-1(x).

3. What is the domain and range of the inverse function of f(x)?

The domain of f^-1(x) is the range of f(x), and the range of f^-1(x) is the domain of f(x). In this case, since the domain of f(x) is all real numbers, the range of f^-1(x) is also all real numbers.

4. Can the inverse function of f(x) be written in a simpler form?

Yes, the inverse function of f(x) can be simplified to f^-1(x)=ln(x+√(x^2-1)). This can be obtained by using the substitution u=e^x and solving for x in terms of u, and then replacing x with f^-1(x).

5. How can we verify that f^-1(x) is the inverse function of f(x)?

We can verify that f^-1(x) is the inverse function of f(x) by using the composition of functions. If we compose f(x) and f^-1(x) (i.e. f(f^-1(x)) and f^-1(f(x))), we should get back the original input, x. In other words, f(f^-1(x))=x and f^-1(f(x))=x.