If I liked E&M, what should I look for in a Grad Degree?

In summary: But then, I'm not sure that I would suggest that you make a career choice based largely on what is employable. I think you should do what you love and then figure out how to make a career of it.In summary, the person is a recent graduate who is considering various fields for grad school. They particularly enjoyed E&M in their undergraduate studies and are seeking recommendations for fields or grad programs that involve E&M-like math. Suggestions include plasma physics, nuclear fusion, accelerator physics, engineering electromagnetics, and optics/photonics. However, it is noted that employability may be an issue in some of these fields. The conversation also includes personal experiences and recommendations from others in the field.
Narroo
So, I graduated last year and decided to spend the year working before applying to grad school. I'm trying to narrow down what fields I want to look at, so I'm collecting information. To that end, my current question is this:

"What fields of physics, as common defined by grad-school program reference books, would involve E&M like math?"

You see, out of all my classes during my Bachelor's, I enjoyed E&M the most. That, followed by Quantum, and finally Optics. Didn't like Mechanics too much. Quantum I didn't do too well in, but really did enjoy the the parts that clicked with me (Harmonic Oscillators!) Optics was an elective geared towards engineers and was pretty spoon fed, and of only mild interest.

E&M though, I found mostly fun. I actually thought solving Laplace's Equation in 3D for fields was fun. I liked doing E&M, it was difficult, but fun. BEN ITOY!

So, what fields of research, or grad programs, would you guys think would interest someone who likes E&M?

Physics news on Phys.org
Narroo said:
So, I graduated last year and decided to spend the year working before applying to grad school. I'm trying to narrow down what fields I want to look at, so I'm collecting information. To that end, my current question is this:

"What fields of physics, as common defined by grad-school program reference books, would involve E&M like math?"

You see, out of all my classes during my Bachelor's, I enjoyed E&M the most. That, followed by Quantum, and finally Optics. Didn't like Mechanics too much. Quantum I didn't do too well in, but really did enjoy the the parts that clicked with me (Harmonic Oscillators!) Optics was an elective geared towards engineers and was pretty spoon fed, and of only mild interest.

E&M though, I found mostly fun. I actually thought solving Laplace's Equation in 3D for fields was fun. I liked doing E&M, it was difficult, but fun. BEN ITOY!

So, what fields of research, or grad programs, would you guys think would interest someone who likes E&M?

Plasma (which is usually applied to fusion, astrophysics, electronics, propulsion or studied on its own) is very E&M heavy; pick up the first few chapters of a plasma book like Bittencourt or Chen and it's all single particle motion in lots of different electromagnetic field configurations leading up to combining this with statistical mechanics for large scale modeling.

clope023 said:
Plasma (which is usually applied to fusion, astrophysics, electronics, propulsion or studied on its own) is very E&M heavy; pick up the first few chapters of a plasma book like Bittencourt or Chen and it's all single particle motion in lots of different electromagnetic field configurations leading up to combining this with statistical mechanics for large scale modeling.

So, if I said that Nuclear Fusion, in concept, always interested me, would that be a good thing? The prospects on Nuclear Fusion aside.

Narroo said:
So, if I said that Nuclear Fusion, in concept, always interested me, would that be a good thing? The prospects on Nuclear Fusion aside.

Well I did do plasma physics and fusion course and research work, but I'm just a new grad in basically the same position you're in. So take what I say with a grain of sold I suppose, but I would say yes to your question. If you really liked E&M I don't think you can go wrong with studying plasmas, issue with that would be more funding related depending on which you grad school you can get into.

Another idea to checkout is engineering electromagnetics, which includes things like antenna design and is an active field in academia and industry. Many EE departments have faculty in this area. Coupling this with expertise in RF systems, signal processing and/or communications systems makes for a very useful engineer.

Perhaps optics/photonics is another area you might want to checkout?

By the way, I studied plasma physics in grad school (in an EE dept) and found that industry at that time (late 90s) didn't have many positions that used that specialty. It did indeed use lots of EM and was great fun, though.

jason

Following up on jasonRF's comments, you could be a genuine rocket scientist if you chose to design ion rocket engines. Again, this is all about plasma and E&M physics. Now, all that said, employability in this field may be a problem in everything except perhaps RF systems.

Related to If I liked E&M, what should I look for in a Grad Degree?

1. What is E&M and why do I need to know about it for a grad degree in science?

E&M stands for Electromagnetism, which is a branch of physics that deals with the study of electric and magnetic fields. It is an important concept in science because it helps us understand how electricity and magnetism work together to create various phenomena in our world. A solid understanding of E&M is necessary for many fields of science, including electronics, materials science, and engineering.

2. What are some possible areas of study for a grad degree if I have an interest in E&M?

There are several areas of study that would be a good fit for someone with an interest in E&M. Some examples include electrical engineering, condensed matter physics, materials science, and electromagnetics. These fields all involve the application and further study of E&M principles.

3. Is E&M a popular topic for grad degree programs?

Yes, E&M is a very popular topic for grad degree programs in science. Many universities offer specialized programs in E&M or have it as a concentration within a larger field of study, such as physics or engineering. E&M is a fundamental concept in science and is relevant to many areas of research, making it a valuable topic for grad degree programs.

4. What skills and knowledge can I expect to gain from a grad degree in E&M?

A grad degree in E&M will provide you with a strong foundation in the principles and laws of electromagnetism. You will also gain practical skills in using mathematical and computational methods to solve problems related to E&M. Additionally, you will develop critical thinking and analytical skills that are essential for conducting research in this field.

5. Can I pursue a grad degree in E&M if I have a background in a different field of science?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a grad degree in E&M even if your undergraduate degree is in a different field of science. Many grad programs in E&M are designed to accommodate students from diverse backgrounds and will provide the necessary coursework to catch up on any foundational knowledge that may be lacking. However, a strong understanding of mathematics and physics is typically required for success in an E&M grad program.