If something stands absolutely still in the space can it time travel?

In summary: ONE thing first!In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time travel and whether an object that is absolutely still in space can fall out of the universe. It is explained that there is no preferred reference frame and that the idea of being "absolutely still" is not meaningful in the context of the universe. The conversation also addresses the misconception that time and space are the same concept and provides a video resource for further understanding.
julia orbey
I have a question. If something stands absolutely still in the space can it time travel?? I mean can it fall out of this universe? I am not a Physicist and forgive me for my mistakes in English.(I am foreigner) Just a question.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
julia orbey said:
I have a question. If something stands absolutely still in the space can it time travel??
What are you meaning by time travel ?
julia orbey said:
I mean can it fall out of this universe?
Whats this means ??

julia orbey said:
I have a question. If something stands absolutely still in the space can it time travel?? I mean can it fall out of this universe? I am not a Physicist and forgive me for my mistakes in English.(I am foreigner) Just a question.

In whose space is this object stationary? I can easily be stationary in "my space" and yet, that object is not.

You might have the wrong impression that there is a preferred space in which being "stationary" or not moving is something special. It isn't. Any reference frame in which an object is not moving is no more special than another reference frame in which the object is moving with constant velocity. There is no physics that you can done to detect such a motion, and our laws all work the same way in either frame.

So why would something that is stationary in one frame while moving in another frame is somehow undergoing "time travel"? What's so special about it being in a frame in which it is not moving?

Zz.

Think about the term 'absolutely still', what does it mean?
Does it mean that the object is not moving in relation to yourself?, No?
Is it still In relation to the Earth?, to the Sun?, to the center of the Milky Way?, No?
Then what do you compare it with so that it can be described as 'absolutely still' ... ?

Last edited:
rootone said:
Think about the term 'absolutely still', what does it mean?
Does it mean that the object is not moving in relation to yourself?, No?
Is it still In relation to the Earth?, to the Sun?, to the center of the Milky?, No?
Then what do you compare it with so that it can be described as 'absolutely still' ... ?

I read in somewhere milky way is moving towards a big black hole. Because whole Universe is moving towards something. If something stands absolutely still-But absolutely- Shouldnt be this thing fall out of Universe??

julia orbey said:
I read in somewhere milky way is moving towards a big black hole. Because whole Universe is moving towards something. If something stands absolutely still-But absolutely- Shouldnt be this thing fall out of Universe??

You have not answered any of our questions, and you seem to either have not read, or have not manage to understand what you've been told. If this is true, then all our future responses to you will be futile and will fall on deaf ears.

Either you address what have been posted in response to your question, or this is a waste of time.

By the way, it is the practice in this forum that "I read somewhere" isn't an acceptable starting source. You must cite your source!

Zz.

With " absolute standstill" I mean not moving with the universe. If something be able to not move in the universe. shouldn't be fall out of Universe?

julia orbey said:
With " absolute standstill" I mean not moving with the universe. If something be able to not move in the universe. shouldn't be fall out of Universe?

There is no frame of reference in which you are not moving with the universe. There is NO absolute reference frame.

Again, read everything that has been posted.

Zz.

IArent Time and Space the same concept?

If you take Universe is a paper if a pencil goes through this paper it goes out of the paper

julia orbey said:
No. They are not. They have similarities. But the universe has a Minkowski geometry. No matter how you slice it up into space and time, the three dimensions of space contribute differently to the metric than the remaining dimension of time.

Your comment about paper and pencil is nonsensical.

julia orbey said:
If you take Universe is a paper if a pencil goes through this paper it goes out of the paper

The universe is not a paper, and I have no idea where you are going with this. But before you even try to consider the shape of the universe, you need to figure out your problem with understanding basic idea of relative motion and reference frame.

Since you seem to have problems understanding ALL that have been written in this thread, maybe viewing a video might help. So try this:

And please, don't jump around to other things. Tackle things ONE subject at a time. Figure out what is meant by "relative velocity" and why your idea of some absolute "universe" speed is incorrect. This is the basic physics that you must understand FIRST before proceeding any further. Otherwise, I'm out.

Zz.

OK Briggs thank you Now I got it. sorry, I am not a physicist. But I was just curious. Thank you for your time.

I meant if the Car doesn't move and if the road is moving the car goes out of the road??

Like you are standing out of the road?? Dont you fall to another Universe??

julia orbey said:
I meant if the Car doesn't move and if the road is moving the car goes out of the road??
If the road moves lengthwise, such a car stays on the road. In that case there is no absolute sense in which we can say which of the two is moving and which (if either) is standing still.

julia orbey said:
julia orbey said:

The Universe is not two dimensional, general relativity posits a 4 dimensional model of 'spacetime' in which space dimensions and time are related.
Space and time being related does not mean that time is the same thing as a space dimension.
Since this model describes the entire Universe, there can be nothing external to it which can poke through it like a pencil.

Before Einstein there was the Newtonian model, in which space was one thing, and time was completely separate.
In that model yes you could have an absolute rest frame, but that model is now known to be inaccurate.

Last edited:
thank you guys for your time.And be in peace.

Russ dear;
Of course is my speculation. I was thinking (from my books and the physics that I know) milky way is moving to somewhere and if in the space an object doesn't move at all(Stands still absolutely) can it fall out of this universe?? But like you all answered already I know now it is wrong. Thanks a lot.

Simplest way to think about is that 'the Universe' is everything that exists.
There is no outside of the Universe that something can go to.

If the conditions are as you said, i.e. 'milky way is flowing towards a black hole', then the situation can be compared to a moving train. All the objects inside ( planets, stars, etc ) are moving towards the 'black hole' with the same velocity. Even though the object may seem to be at rest relative to the sun. Moreover you cannot travel time being away from the universe if ever possible. You should reach parallel universes.

Good luck!

1. Can something truly stand still in space?

No, according to the laws of physics, everything in the universe is in constant motion. This includes even the tiniest particles and atoms, which are constantly vibrating and moving.

2. If something is stationary in space, does it experience time differently?

Yes, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, time is relative to an observer's frame of reference. Therefore, something that appears to be standing still in space may experience time differently compared to an observer on Earth.

3. Is it possible for something to be completely still in space?

No, due to the concept of inertia, an object in space will continue to move at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force. Therefore, it is not possible for something to be completely still in space.

4. Would standing still in space allow for time travel?

No, time travel is a complex concept that involves manipulating the fabric of space-time. Simply standing still in space would not allow for time travel to occur.

5. Can gravity affect the concept of standing still in space?

Yes, gravity is a fundamental force that affects the motion of objects in space. Even if something appears to be standing still in space, it is still under the influence of gravitational forces and will continue to experience the effects of time passing.