If the moon was vapourised, would it recondense or get blown away by solar wind?

In summary, according to the author, vaporization is the turning of a solid into a gas. This can happen by various mechanisms, some of which are more explosive than others. Vaporization is dependent on the details of the vaporization, which the author did not go into in greater detail.
jetwaterluffy
If the moon was vapourised, would it first recondense or get blown away by solar wind?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I suspect that to get a meaningful answer to this, you'll have to be a LOT more specific about the exact characteristics of what you mean by "vaporized"

phinds said:
I suspect that to get a meaningful answer to this, you'll have to be a LOT more specific about the exact characteristics of what you mean by "vaporized"

Correct. (Well, the OP said "vapourized" instead of "vaporized." =P ) I'll assume they mean that just the particles are blown apart. It depends on how they're blown apart, but I imagine there's a low probability of it recondensing. Note that this is a complete guess.

phinds said:

By vapourised, I mean turned into vapour. As in, a gas.

jetwaterluffy said:

And by what mechanism do you imagine this might happen? If you are talking about magic, whereby the entire mass of the moon suddenly becomes vapor, what diameter do you imagine it will take?

If by a large explosion, by what amount of force do you see as creating the event.

I say again, your question as posed is vague to the point of being useless.

To dismantle the Moon would take at minimum as much energy as its gravitational binding energy. The manner in which this arrives is important as it's not just going to be evenly spread.

If it's just magically "turned into gas" while nothing else happens, then that gas will be highly compressed and the pressure will be enormous. Some of it will condense into a solid, some of it to a liquid, and almost all of it will be accelerated away from the center. The question of whether all of it will fall down again will depend on the speeds that the particles will reach. The required speed for a given particle will depend on its initial distance from the center. I haven't done any calculations to see what speeds will be necessary. I also don't know if particles that are moving fast enough to escape the Moon will be fast enough to escape the Earth.

Last edited:
jetwaterluffy said:
For some perspective: TNT (trinitrotoluene) is normally a solid. Its molecule is very unstable (it wobbles like a Jenga tower). If you shake it vigorously, the tower comes tumbling down, and the molecule is able to rearrange itself in a much more stable configuration. The thing is, this more stable configuration, it doesn't bond well anymore with its neighbours. So it's not a solid, but a gas. (I'm getting to my point.)

As a gas, its molecules (mostly CO, CO2 and H2O) take up a LOT more room than they did as a solid. So the volume of the gas expands. It does so very rapidly and releases a lot of heat in the process. This is experienced as an explosion. And that's TNT.

So, if the Moon were vaporized, it would not do so as a well-behaved solid turning to dust. As a gas, it would want to expand rapidly. i.e. explode.

The moral of the story is: It's pretty hard to separate the outcome of vaporization from the mechanism of vaporization.

DaveC426913 said:
The moral of the story is: It's pretty hard to separate the outcome of vaporization from the mechanism of vaporization.

Well said. That's exactly what I've been trying to get him to see, but he doesn't seem to buy it.

1. What would happen if the moon was vaporized?

If the moon was vaporized, it would turn into a gas and spread out into space. This would significantly alter the Earth's tides and affect the stability of its orbit.

2. Would the moon recondense after being vaporized?

It is possible that some of the moon's vaporized material could recondense into small particles, but it is unlikely that it would reform into a solid moon again. The extreme heat and pressure necessary for vaporization would have changed the chemical composition of the moon's material.

3. How long would it take for the moon to recondense?

It is difficult to determine how long it would take for the moon to recondense, as it would depend on the amount of vaporized material and the conditions of space. However, it would likely take a very long time, if it were to happen at all.

4. Would the solar wind blow away the vaporized moon?

The solar wind is a stream of charged particles that can exert pressure on objects in space. If the moon was vaporized, it would be too small and dispersed to be affected by the solar wind.

5. How would the vaporized moon affect Earth and other planets in our solar system?

The vaporized moon would significantly alter the Earth's tides and could potentially affect the orbits of other planets in our solar system. The spread of the vaporized material could also potentially impact the atmospheres of other planets.