If there was a zero net acceleration at the equator?

In summary: So you can use either method to check your answer is correctIn summary, if there was zero net acceleration at the equator, the acceleration of Earth due to its rotation would have to be 9.8m/s^s. Using the equation V= SQRT(Ac*R), the rotational velocity of the Earth would be 7901.013m/s. And using the equation T = Earth's circumference / rotational velocity, the length of a day on Earth would be 1.47 hours.
PotentialE

Homework Statement

How long would a day have to be on Earth if there was zero net acceleration at the equator?

Homework Equations

Ac=v^2/r
Vrotational=Ac / Radius of earth
g = 9.8m/ss
T = Earth's circumference / rotational velocity
V= SQRT(Ac*R)
Earth's Radius = 6.37x10^6
Earth's circumference = 40023890.41

The Attempt at a Solution

The real acceleration of Earth due to it's rotation is .03m/ss, but it doesn't really matter to us because g=9.8m/ss so we can stay on Earth. so the net acceleration in 9.8 - .34

if there was a zero net acceleration, then the acceleration of Earth due to it's rotation would have to be 9.8m/ss, right?

so doing V= SQRT(Ac*R), i get 7901.013m/s for the rotational velocity of the Earth.

T = Earth's circumference / rotational velocity, i get 506.56s, or, .141hrs. Is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
PotentialE said:

Homework Statement

How long would a day have to be on Earth if there was zero net acceleration at the equator?

Homework Equations

Ac=v^2/r
g = 9.8m/ss
V= SQRT(Ac*R)

The real acceleration of Earth due to it's rotation is .03m/ss, but it doesn't really matter to us because g=9.8m/ss so we can stay on Earth. so the net acceleration in 9.8 - .34

if there was a zero net acceleration, then the acceleration of Earth due to it's rotation would have to be 9.8m/ss, right?

so doing V= SQRT(Ac*R), i get 7901.013m/s for the rotational velocity of the Earth.

T = Earth's circumference / rotational velocity, i get 506.56s, or, .141hrs. Is that correct?

I take it the question relates to how quickly the Earth would rotate if an object released is not observed to fall, as we currently see.

That is what happens in an orbitting satellite/space station.

They are not very far above the surface [compared to the Radius of the Earth [R = 6000+ km, but many satellites are only ~300 km above the surface] so they give a good indication of what is necessary.

Many of those satellites go around about once every 90 minutes, or a bit less, so we can imagine a day on that fast spinning world would be about 85-90 minutes long.

PotentialE said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Ac=v^2/r
g = 9.8m/ss
V= SQRT(Ac*R)

You might get there quicker if you used Ac = 4π2R/T2 rather than Ac = v2/R

ok, i checked my math by doing my way again and you're way and i got 1.407 hours, my bad. but is 1.47hours now correct?

PotentialE said:
ok, i checked my math by doing my way again and you're way and i got 1.407 hours, my bad. but is 1.47hours now correct?

Why did you just change 1.407 to 1.47 ?

It is certainly an answer around the right size!

EDIT: If you use two methods and get the same answer, that answer is most likely correct.

Related to If there was a zero net acceleration at the equator?

1. What does zero net acceleration at the equator mean?

Zero net acceleration at the equator means that the speed and direction of an object at the equator remains constant. This is due to the combination of the Earth's rotation and its gravitational pull, resulting in a balanced force.

2. How is zero net acceleration at the equator different from other latitudes?

Zero net acceleration at the equator is unique because it is the only latitude where the Earth's rotation and gravity are perfectly balanced. At other latitudes, there is a slight imbalance in these forces, resulting in a net acceleration towards the poles.

3. What factors affect the net acceleration at the equator?

The main factors that affect the net acceleration at the equator are the Earth's rotation, its shape (oblate spheroid), and its mass distribution. These factors influence the gravitational force and the centrifugal force, which together determine the net acceleration at the equator.

4. Is zero net acceleration at the equator constant?

Yes, zero net acceleration at the equator is constant as long as the Earth's rotation and mass distribution remain unchanged. However, minor changes in these factors, such as the Earth's rotation slowing down or a shift in its mass distribution, can affect the net acceleration at the equator.

5. How does zero net acceleration at the equator impact everyday life?

Zero net acceleration at the equator has minimal impact on everyday life. However, it does affect the accuracy of certain measurements, such as timekeeping, due to the Earth's rotation being slightly irregular. It also plays a role in navigation and satellite orbits, as they must take into account the Earth's rotation and gravitational pull at the equator.