IGBT Maximum Ratings and Protection Considerations in SMPS Designs

• Thread starter Robertphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Igbt Max
In summary, the conversation discusses the capabilities of IGBT and Mosfets in relation to an smps (switched-mode power supply) transformer. The participants question why the transistors blow up or short out when their ratings are high enough to handle the load. One possible explanation is that the 4x1000uF capacitor bank can store enough energy to exceed the transistors' ratings. The conversation also mentions the importance of properly driving the IGBT and the use of desaturation and over-current protection to prevent damage.
Robertphysics
I’ve been wondering about the capabilities of IGBT and Mosfets in general , I recently had a few problems with an smps and here is what I wonder , for example the IGBT used in the supply has an absolute maximum rating of 600v and 120 amps at room temp, I can’t recall the exact IGBT in question but I have seen this with other ones too so let me just put for example FGH60N60SF or FGY75N60SMD or other devices , now I have seen they blow whne there is a sudden very large load on the secondary of the smps transformer and in other cases , but let’s take the secondary shorted case as our example.

My mains voltage is 230v and the socket delivers about 16-20 amps max then the voltage would probably start to sag. So simple maths gives us about 325v DC rectified. It’s a half bridge topology , prior to the switching transistors there are 4x1000uF capacitor bank , now if there manages to be a short at the secondary side the transistors blow up or short out.

My question is why is this so since their ratings are so high , 600v max voltage and 100 to 150 amps of collector current , in such case I was hoping for my 5amp mains fuses to simply blow out and the whole thing would settle easily since the secondary current translates back to the primary side but instead the transistor blow.

Could it really be that the 4x1000uF cap bank stores enough energy to be capable of giving more than 100 amps of current for a long enough moment to exceed the quite large rating of the transistors , or is this because the rather small to 247 and other devices simply get too hot too fast under such load and fail primarily due to heat?

Likes berkeman
Engineering news on Phys.org
Robertphysics said:
My question is why is this so since their ratings are so high , 600v max voltage and 100 to 150 amps of collector current
Are you sure that the VGE voltage is a completely clean square wave witout any noise and ≥ 12Vdc ( on ) ?

( even when the transformer is short circuited ).

Robertphysics said:
Could it really be that the 4x1000uF cap bank stores enough energy to be capable of giving more than 100 amps of current for a long enough moment to exceed the quite large rating of the transistors , or is this because the rather small to 247 and other devices simply get too hot too fast under such load and fail primarily due to heat?

yes to both questions.

Datasheets are your friend.

https://www.fairchildsemi.com/datasheets/FG/FGH60N60SF.pdf

FGH60N60SF _datasheet.jpg
If 4000 microfarads are delivering 180 amps, what is the rate of voltage decrease ? dv/dt = I / C
Now 180 amps / 4000 microfarads = 45 volts per millisecond ,
so if starting from 300 volts your capacitors could deliver a 180 amp pulse that persists for several milliseconds.
They might well deliver more than 180 amps, the max for that device.

Now to Hesch's question,
FGH60N60SF _datasheet2.jpg

Vce goes way up and that drives power dissipated in the device sky high

Now to your second question, heating of that package: (see datasheet clip above)
At 40 degC per watt junction to ambient and maybe ambient of 30C, with no heatsink your device can only handle three watts continuous and still hold junction below 150C.
If you put it on a heatsink that can hold the case to 30C, it should handle 120/.33 = 363 watts. Do you see how they got 378 with case at 25?

Are yours on big heatsinks?

old jim

Also - standard fuses are not fast enough to protect semiconductors - so you can definatly send way too big of a current pulse with this set up. The IGBT is the "faster" fuse. Also - how is the IGBT being driven? If the driver circuit also see the sag, it may drop the gate voltage, increasing the Vf in the IGBT - sending the losses through the roof. Does the the driver have DeSat and some form of Over-current protection?

1. What are IGBT max ratings and why are they important?

IGBT max ratings are the maximum limits of voltage, current, power, and temperature that an insulated-gate bipolar transistor (IGBT) can handle. These ratings are important because exceeding them can lead to damage or failure of the IGBT, which can affect the overall performance and reliability of a circuit or system.

2. What factors affect the IGBT max ratings?

The main factors that affect IGBT max ratings are the materials used in its construction, its physical size, and the design of its internal structure. Other factors that can impact the ratings include the operating temperature, cooling methods, and the voltage and current levels of the circuit.

3. How do I determine the appropriate IGBT max ratings for my application?

Determining the appropriate IGBT max ratings for a specific application requires careful consideration of the operating conditions and requirements. This can involve analyzing the voltage and current levels, the duty cycle, and the desired switching frequency, as well as considering any potential spikes or transients that the IGBT may encounter. Consulting with the manufacturer or referring to datasheets can also be helpful in selecting the right ratings.

4. Can I exceed the IGBT max ratings in certain situations?

In general, it is not recommended to exceed the IGBT max ratings as it can lead to damage or failure. However, in some cases, it may be necessary to operate slightly above the ratings for short periods of time. This should only be done after careful analysis and consideration of the potential risks and consequences.

5. How can I protect the IGBT from exceeding its max ratings?

There are several ways to protect an IGBT from exceeding its max ratings, including using proper heat sinking and cooling methods, implementing overvoltage and overcurrent protection circuits, and ensuring that the circuit design and components are suitable for the operating conditions. It is also important to regularly monitor and maintain the IGBT to prevent any potential failures.