Illegal wood pellet business in Chernobyl Zone

In summary, Ukrainian journalists discovered that the wife of deputy head of National Police of Ukraine (his name is Igor Kupranets) is a "successful businesswoman", but this is hardly unusual in our country. It is peculiar, though, that her business is in making wood pellets, which are missing from the limited list of businesses which are allowed to operate in the Chernobyl Zone. This raises the possibility that the business is mocking us, as the name of the firm, "Anyway, Ltd.", is reminiscent of the word "anyway."
Investigative journalists discovered that the wife of deputy head of National Police of Ukraine (his name is Igor Kupranets) is a "successful businesswoman", but this is hardly unusual in our country.

What is a little peculiar is that her business is in making wood pellets, and it is located in the Chernobyl Zone! More to it, it is missing from the limited list of businesses which are allowed to operate there.

Journalists were able to pose as buyers, visit the plant and see these pellets.

The name of the firm is "Anyway, Ltd". Are they mocking us? :/

Apologies for the link to the source in Ukrainian language, English version does not exist...

https://hromadske.ua/posts/nezakonne-virobnictvo-u-chornobilskii-zoni

Physics news on Phys.org
Ha. This guy is working in the Department of the Prevention of Economic Crimes. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL :(

Since I can't read Ukrainian, I'm unable to read your source, but I have a few questions:

1. (a) Is the wood pellet business that the wife of Igor Kupranets is running using wood from the Chernobyl Zone? (b) Or is it simply the case that the business is running inside the zone, but the wood coming from elsewhere?

2. If #1 (a) above, then does the business market the fact that the wood pellets are made or, are using, products from the Chernobyl Zone? If so, what would these wood pellets be used for, or who would buy them? (are people buying wood pellets from Chernobyl as a novelty item?)

StatGuy2000 said:
Since I can't read Ukrainian, I'm unable to read your source, but I have a few questions:

1. (a) Is the wood pellet business that the wife of Igor Kupranets is running using wood from the Chernobyl Zone? (b) Or is it simply the case that the business is running inside the zone, but the wood coming from elsewhere?

Well, I would use my common sense to guess what wood do they use. It's not rocket science.
Normal wood, from outsize the zone, has some market value. You can't buy it lower than this price.
Wood in the Zone can not be legally cut down and sold. So it accumulates there. If you somehow manage to use it, you profit from it.

2. If #1 (a) above, then does the business market the fact that the wood pellets are made or, are using, products from the Chernobyl Zone?

Let's think about it. You see a bag with a label, "Wood pellets, made from Chernobyl Zone wood". Want to buy one?

Are people buying wood pellets from Chernobyl as a novelty item?

No, people buy these pellets for heating because they don't know they are from Chernobyl Zone.

Is there any evidence that there is anything harmful about the pellets? I wouldn't use them myself, just to be on the safe side, but is there ... ?

phinds said:
Is there any evidence that there is anything harmful about the pellets? I wouldn't use them myself, just to be on the safe side, but is there ... ?

Journos posing as buyers asked this question, and the seller answered that ash from these pellets is usually exceeding regulatory limits.

phinds said:

From what I remember zone is rather patchy in a way the radiation is distributed, so there is no yes/no answer. Radiation levels can change by orders of magnitude in just a few steps. Still, zone was declared closed because of the elevated radiation levels, so I assume whatever comes from inside can be less safe than the same thing coming from other sources.

Just found this article in which the claim is made that the pellet manufacturing operation is not actually inside the exclusion zone:

http://ukropnews24.com/in-the-exclusion-zone-has-denied-the-illegality-of-the-business-of-a-policemans-wife/

I found the location in the video with the yellow gantry crane.
Here it is on Cs-137 fallout map (arrow is pointing to a tiny cross):

location.png

I think the article I found is based on the premise that the exclusion zone is a bureaucratic/political creation that doesn't necessarily exactly correspond to the physically contaminated zone:

In the village Vilcha the performance of local councils is not suspended, and the territory not transferred to the state administration of GAS, the territory is Polesie district state administration of Kyiv region. Since OOO “Eniwa” working outside the exclusion zone, then there is no need to obtain a special permit for activities in the exclusion zone,” – said the Agency.

Therefore, no laws have been broken.

Sure, that's what bureaucrats say. "No, everything is fine".
I do not expect that they would admit any wrongdoing.
However, Zone map shows that that location is inside the Zone.
Untitled2.png

1. What is the "illegal wood pellet business" in the Chernobyl Zone?

The illegal wood pellet business in the Chernobyl Zone refers to the production and sale of wood pellets made from trees growing in the contaminated area surrounding the Chernobyl nuclear power plant. This business is considered illegal because it poses significant health risks to both the workers and consumers of the wood pellets.

2. Why is the sale of wood pellets from the Chernobyl Zone considered illegal?

The sale of wood pellets from the Chernobyl Zone is considered illegal due to the high levels of radioactive contamination in the area. Trees in this zone have absorbed and retained high levels of radiation, making the wood pellets produced from them unsafe for human consumption or use.

3. What are the potential health risks associated with the illegal wood pellet business in the Chernobyl Zone?

The potential health risks associated with the illegal wood pellet business in the Chernobyl Zone include radiation exposure and contamination. Workers involved in the production and transportation of the wood pellets are at risk of radiation exposure, while consumers of the pellets may also be exposed to radiation through direct contact or inhalation.

4. Who is involved in the illegal wood pellet business in the Chernobyl Zone?

The illegal wood pellet business in the Chernobyl Zone involves various parties, including local farmers and entrepreneurs who harvest and sell the contaminated wood, as well as companies that purchase and process the wood into pellets for export. There may also be involvement from corrupt officials who turn a blind eye to the illegal activity.

5. What actions are being taken to stop the illegal wood pellet business in the Chernobyl Zone?

Efforts are being made by the Ukrainian government, along with international organizations and NGOs, to stop the illegal wood pellet business in the Chernobyl Zone. This includes stricter enforcement of laws and regulations, raising awareness about the health risks associated with the business, and promoting sustainable and safe alternatives for economic development in the area.

Back