Illuminance on a table directly below a lamp

• Thread starter Matthewkind
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lamp Table
In summary, the problem asks for the illuminance on a table directly below one of two 640-candle lamps placed 6.0 ft apart and 8.0 ft above the table. Using the illuminance equation E = I/s^2, the initial calculation yields 10 ft-c. However, the correct answer is 15 ft-c. After considering right triangles and calculating the illuminance of the second lamp, the final answer becomes 16.4 ft-c. The flaw in the initial calculation may be due to using luminous flux instead of luminous intensity.
Matthewkind

Homework Statement

Two 640-candle lamps are placed 6.0 ft apart and 8.0 ft above a table. Calculate the illuminance on the table directly below one of the lamps.

Homework Equations

The illuminance equation, to the best of my knowledge is as follows:
E = I/s^2 and E = (I/s^2)(cos x).

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright, so at first I thought that it was just asking for me to find the illuminance on the table with regards to one of these lamps. So that E = (640-candles)/(8.0 ft)^2 = (640-candles)/64.0 ft^2 = 10 lu/ft^2 = 10 ft-c.
However, the answer in the back of the book is 15 ft-c. So I was very puzzled. Then I thought that, hey, maybe right triangles have something to do with this problem. After all, the distance between the lamps and the height of the lamps can form right-triangles if you're only taking the illuminance directly under one lamp into consideration. That hypotenuse would then be 10 ft, since 6^2 + 8^2 = x^2 -> 36 + 64 = x^2 -> 100 = x^2 -> x = 10. So I thought I had to calculate the illuminance like before and then add to that the illuminance of the second lamp with the distance being 10 ft. So that ended up with E2 = I2/(s2)^2 = (640-candles)/100 ft^2 = 6.4 lu/ft^2 = 6.4 ft-c. 10 ft-c + 6.4 ft-c = 16.4 ft-c, but 16.4 ft-c is not 15.0 ft-c, so I am doing something wrong. Can someone please point out my flaw so that I may solve this problem and further understand how to correctly approach this (and others like it)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, I forgot to mention: E is the illuminance, I is the luminous flux, and s is the distance.

Argh, I sincerely apologize! I is luminous intensity (obviously!), not luminous flux, which would be F.

1. What is illuminance?

Illuminance, also known as lighting level or brightness, is the amount of light that falls on a surface. It is measured in lux (lx) and is an important factor in determining the quality of lighting in a space.

2. How is illuminance on a table below a lamp measured?

Illuminance on a table directly below a lamp is typically measured with a light meter. This device measures the amount of light falling on a surface in lux or foot-candles. The light meter is placed on the table directly below the lamp and the reading is taken.

3. What factors affect the illuminance on a table below a lamp?

The illuminance on a table below a lamp can be affected by several factors, including the distance between the lamp and the table, the wattage and type of bulb used in the lamp, and the direction of the light. Other factors such as the color and reflectivity of the table surface can also impact the illuminance level.

4. What is considered a good illuminance level for a table below a lamp?

The recommended illuminance level for a table below a lamp varies depending on the task being performed. Generally, a minimum of 300 lux is recommended for basic activities such as reading or writing, while more detailed tasks such as crafting or working on a computer may require higher levels of illuminance (500-1000 lux).

5. How can the illuminance on a table below a lamp be improved?

The easiest way to improve the illuminance on a table below a lamp is to adjust the position of the lamp. Moving the lamp closer to the table or using a higher wattage bulb can increase the illuminance level. Additionally, using reflective surfaces or light-colored walls in the room can help to enhance the overall lighting in the space.