Illuminated fraction of the Moon

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for the ratio of the illuminated disk to the whole disk, which is expressed as f_i=\frac{1}{2}(1+\cos E_s) where E_s is the phase angle. It is explained that E_s is equal to \frac{t}{T} \cdot 360^o and an approximation for this formula is given. The concept is further illustrated with a figure, showing that the illuminated fraction is equal to \frac{(1 + \cos{E_s})}{2}.
JeffOCA
Dear all,

It's late in the night and I have some trouble in deriving the expression of the ratio of the illuminated disk to the whole disk. Is it a formula "by definition" ?

See http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...vuuO5&sig=AHIEtbQ4C_gHumCJFdfEylxojg0t1MD6Vw" at page 16, figures 6 and 7.
It's written "Thus the ratio (...) can be expressed as [itex]f_i=\frac{1}{2}(1+\cos E_s)[/itex]" where Es is the phase angle.

Thanks for helping...

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
The phase angle Es is [itex]\frac{t}{T} \cdot 360^o[/itex], where t is the elapsed time since the last full moon and T is the period (elapsed time between full moons, about 29.5 days). For example, Es is 0 at full moon, 90o at first quarter, 180o at new moon, etc.

If you want to work in radians rather than degrees (for example, using Excel or google for the calculation), then replace 360o with 2π in the formula for Es.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: my expression for Es is an approximation, assuming a circular orbit for the moon.

Last edited:
I understand your approximation for Es. What I don't understand is the expression of fi given in my first post. Why it is 0.5 * (1 + cos Es) ?

Thanks
Jeff

Anyone ?

Sorry for the delay. This is best explained with a figure, and it was not until just now that I had time to make a decent one.

MoonFraction.gif

r is the radius of the moon, so of course the entire disk has a diameter of 2r. And, as the figure shows, the illuminated portion viewed from Earth is [itex]r + r \cos {E_s} = r(1 + \cos{E_s})[/itex]. So the illuminated fraction is their ratio,

[tex]\frac{r(1 + \cos{E_s})}{2r} = \frac{(1 + \cos{E_s})}{2}[/tex]

It's very clear ! Thanks a lot Redbelly98 !

Best regards

What is the illuminated fraction of the Moon?

The illuminated fraction of the Moon refers to the percentage of the Moon's surface that is lit up by the Sun's rays at a given time.

How is the illuminated fraction of the Moon calculated?

The illuminated fraction of the Moon is calculated by dividing the visible surface area of the Moon that is lit up by the Sun by the total surface area of the Moon.

What factors affect the illuminated fraction of the Moon?

The illuminated fraction of the Moon is affected by the angle of the Moon in relation to the Sun, the Moon's distance from the Sun, and the Earth's position in its orbit.

How does the illuminated fraction of the Moon change during a lunar cycle?

The illuminated fraction of the Moon changes during a lunar cycle as the Moon orbits around the Earth, causing different portions of its surface to be lit up by the Sun at different times.

Why is the illuminated fraction of the Moon important to study?

Studying the illuminated fraction of the Moon can help us understand the Moon's orbit and its relationship with the Earth and the Sun. It also plays a role in predicting the phases of the Moon and lunar eclipses.