Illustrating the Direction of a Current in a Magnetic Field

In summary, the conversation discusses the direction and magnitude of a current in a wire that is affecting a magnetic field in a certain location in the Philippines. The question is asking for the direction and magnitude of the current when the net field is zero, and the conversation suggests using the right hand rule to determine the direction of the current. There is confusion about how the current is canceling the magnetic field and the conversation also mentions mapping the current in centimeter increments.
thaalescosta
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Help Template is shown
This is the question:
At a certain location in the Philippines, Earth’s magnetic field of 39 µT is horizontal and directed due north. Suppose the net field is zero exactly 8.0 cm above a long, straight, horizontal wire that carries a constant current. What are the magnitude and direction of the current?

I had no problem finding the magnitude of the current, but I'm struggling with visualizing the direction of the current. I didn't really understand what "horizontal and directed due to north" meant.

Is anyone able to illustrate what is going on with the magnetic field and how the wire is affecting the field?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Alright so your basic plan of attack is to use the right hand rule. If there is a magnetic field pointing north and there is a wire running perpendicular to it: in what direction must the current flow to have its magnetic field oppose the one already present? I hope this rephrasing helps you some.

composyte said:
Alright so your basic plan of attack is to use the right hand rule. If there is a magnetic field pointing north and there is a wire running perpendicular to it: in what direction must the current flow to have its magnetic field oppose the one already present? I hope this rephrasing helps you some.
This is how I'm visualizing. The answer says the current flows from west to east, but I don't see how the magnetic field is being canceled by the current.
MehXlBa.png

Map it by cm increments.

Bystander said:
Map it by cm increments.
what do you mean

Eight cm, nine cm, ... seven cm.

Bystander said:
Eight cm, nine cm, ... seven cm.
I know, but I don't see how that would help me with the visualization. I have it scaled on paper, but I still don't get why the direction of the current must go from west to east instead of the opposite

Is the conductor above or below the zero-field height?

Bystander said:
Is the conductor above or below the zero-field height?
The wire carrying the current is 8cm below the point where the net field is equal zero.

composyte said:
right hand rule
thaalescosta said:
don't see how the magnetic field is being canceled by the current.
Only at one point.

1. What is the direction of a current?

The direction of a current refers to the flow of electric charge in a circuit. It is typically represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the flow of positive charge.

2. How is the direction of a current determined?

The direction of a current is determined by the movement of electrons. Electrons flow from the negative terminal of a battery towards the positive terminal, creating a flow of current in the opposite direction.

3. Can the direction of a current be reversed?

Yes, the direction of a current can be reversed by changing the polarity of the power source or by using components such as diodes or transistors to control the flow of electrons.

4. What is the difference between alternating and direct current?

Alternating current (AC) is a type of current where the flow of electrons periodically switches direction. Direct current (DC) is a type of current where the flow of electrons is in one direction only. AC is typically used for large-scale power distribution, while DC is commonly used in electronic devices.

5. How does the direction of a current affect the behavior of a circuit?

The direction of a current can affect the behavior of a circuit in several ways. For example, the direction of current through a resistor determines the direction of heat flow. In addition, the direction of current can determine the polarity of magnetic fields and the brightness of light in a circuit.