I'm Just thinking -- I'm very interested in doing something with sports medicine

In summary: High school seniors should aim to have: -A grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher -Successfully completed Biology and Chemistry courses -Successfully completed First Aid and CPR courses -Planned on attending a university/college with a professional physiotherapy program In summary, if you are interested in pursuing a career in sports medicine, you will need to have completed courses in biology and chemistry, as well as first aid and CPR. You will also need to have a high GPA and be planning on attending a university or college with a professional physiotherapy program.
lyssie32
Hey I'm a grade 9 student and I'm very interested in doing something with sports medicine. I don't know what I want to do for sure yet but I'm thinking about becoming a physiotherapist. I not a very high grade scorer my grades are at a average but some are a bit over. What grade percent would I need to get? What other things can I be that has something to do with sports medicine? And what classes should I take in high school?
What university or collage should I think of going to I want to be somewhere closer to home I live in Calgary.

Physics news on Phys.org
lyssie32 said:
Hey I'm a grade 9 student and I'm very interested in doing something with sports medicine. I don't know what I want to do for sure yet but I'm thinking about becoming a physiotherapist. I not a very high grade scorer my grades are at a average but some are a bit over. What grade percent would I need to get? What other things can I be that has something to do with sports medicine? And what classes should I take in high school?
What university or collage should I think of going to I want to be somewhere closer to home I live in Calgary.
Welcome to the PF.

Are you involved in your school's sports programs? If you were involved as a player or assistant, you will be exposed a bit to the trainers and sports medicine. Have you taken a First Aid & CPR class yet? That's also a good way to start to get involved in the health field. Have you taken biology & chemistry yet in school? :smile:

In Canada physiotherapy has moved towards a professional MSc program. That means that if that's what you want to do, you'll need to do an undergraduate degree first. The specific degree doesn't matter, so much as you obtain the prerequisite courses and these you can look up on the school's website. For example, check out the physical therapy admissions at the University of Alberta.

Admissions are competitive, so you'll have to figure out how to pull your marks up. The good news is that you'll have lots of time to do that, but it's best to start be developing good study habits now. Ask your teachers for suggestions on how to improve your grades currently.

Likes berkeman

What is sports medicine?

Sports medicine is the study and treatment of injuries and conditions related to physical activity and sports. It combines elements of medicine, exercise science, and rehabilitation to help athletes prevent, diagnose, and recover from injuries.

What are the benefits of studying sports medicine?

Studying sports medicine can lead to a fulfilling career working with athletes and helping them stay healthy and perform at their best. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the human body and how physical activity affects it.

What skills are needed to work in sports medicine?

Some important skills for working in sports medicine include strong communication and interpersonal skills, attention to detail, critical thinking, and the ability to work well under pressure. Knowledge of anatomy, physiology, and exercise science is also necessary.

What job opportunities are available in sports medicine?

There are a variety of job opportunities in sports medicine, including roles such as athletic trainer, physical therapist, sports medicine physician, strength and conditioning coach, and exercise physiologist. These roles can be found in professional sports teams, colleges and universities, hospitals, rehabilitation centers, and private clinics.

What is the outlook for careers in sports medicine?

The demand for professionals in sports medicine is expected to continue to grow as more people participate in sports and physical activity. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment for athletic trainers is projected to grow 16% from 2019 to 2029, much faster than the average for all occupations.