I'm not sure this is a good idea

• Thread starter badamann
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Idea
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of working for NASA and the different career options available within the agency. The speaker's childhood dream was to work for NASA, but now they are considering other science-related career options. The conversation also touches on the fact that many of the projects and missions at NASA are contracted out to other institutions and agencies. The speaker is encouraged to seek out internships and university-sponsored projects to gain experience and increase their chances of working for NASA in the future.
badamann
My childhood dream was to work for NASA. I was fascinated with being an astronaut and such, you know? Now that I'm starting college and I'm fumbling potential career options in my head, I'm trying to weigh whether or not a NASA career would be a solid choice. I've heard people say that it's not a very wise choice, but none of the arguments have seemed too convincing. What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to fly, you probably have to work your way up through the Air Force and get accepted by NASA (not a lot of openings there). If you want to design instruments that can advance our knowledge, you have other options. You could attend U of A Tucson, and perhaps have a hand in instrument design/application. U of A staff and students figure and polish so pretty impressive (large) mirrors and design and build instruments.

Well, check out the education/career background of many of the Astronauts to get a better idea of what it would take to become one. If your sights are just set on "working for NASA" then you have more options available to you. Many engineers, physicists, astronomers, and chemists get jobs working for the agency.

I don't think you should set yourself on working for "NASA" when there are many other similar places that you could work doing similar things. So, in a broad sense, if you want to be a scientist, the outlook is probably pretty good that it is an obtainable goal.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't very specific. I'm not entirely positive what I want to do as far as a career, but I do know that it will be science related. My majors are engineering physics, math and computer science, and chemistry, so I'm sure I'll have plenty of options available. Becoming an astronaut isn't so much my goal now as it was when I was younger. I still love the idea of NASA and space exploration, but I'm not sure where or how I'd fit in. Sorry if this topic is all over the place!

It is difficult enough to get to work in a particular field, or career. You now are imposing an even narrower criteria of wanting to work specifically with NASA.

Furthermore, I don't think you are aware of the fact that many of the NASA projects and missions are administered by other institutions, agencies, etc. In other words, these people are NOT NASA employees. Who do you think built many of the spacecraft s that has been sent out?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
It is difficult enough to get to work in a particular field, or career. You now are imposing an even narrower criteria of wanting to work specifically with NASA.

Furthermore, I don't think you are aware of the fact that many of the NASA projects and missions are administered by other institutions, agencies, etc. In other words, these people are NOT NASA employees. Who do you think built many of the spacecraft s that has been sent out?

Zz.

No, I did not know that many of the NASA projects are administered by other institutions. I'm always looking to be enlightened and find the best in everything, so could you tell me about or link me to information pertaining to these different institutions. Again, it was just a dream I grew up with as a kid. I'm sure there's a multitude of better and more sound options, but I need to find them first.

badamann said:
No, I did not know that many of the NASA projects are administered by other institutions.
NASA doesn't build rockets. They contract that work out. For the most part, NASA doesn't build satellites or payloads, either. Instead it's contracted out. Experiment design? The bulk of operations? A lot of the other technical work? Contracted out. Strictly speaking, even JPL is not NASA. They are a FFRDC that is owned and operated by Cal Tech. There are upsides of working directly for NASA. It is the civil servants who set priority, get to say what (and to some extent how) work will get done, and get to work on the cooler research projects.

You're still in college. If you want to work for NASA, directly or indirectly, consider a summer internship at either NASA or one of their contractors. Another option is to work on a university-sponsored NASA project. Many schools have these now.

That about sums it up for me. Thanks a lot!

D H said:
Strictly speaking, even JPL is not NASA. They are a FFRDC that is owned and operated by Cal Tech.

Actually... What do you mean by FFRDC? I've been looking into Cooperative education through my university and the jet propulsion laboratory.

badamann said:
Actually... What do you mean by FFRDC?
Federally Funded Research and Development Center. Here's the master list of all FFRDCs: http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/nsf05306/ . They can be a nice place to work. You'll need a clearance for most, but not for JPL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to I'm not sure this is a good idea

What does "I'm not sure this is a good idea" mean?

"I'm not sure this is a good idea" is a phrase commonly used to express doubt or hesitation about a proposed action or decision. It suggests that the speaker is unsure about the potential consequences or risks of the idea.

Why do people say "I'm not sure this is a good idea"?

People may say "I'm not sure this is a good idea" because they want to express their reservations or doubts about a proposed course of action. It can also be a way to signal that further discussion or consideration is needed before proceeding with the idea.

How should I respond when someone says "I'm not sure this is a good idea"?

If someone expresses this sentiment, it is important to listen to their concerns and ask for clarification if needed. You can also acknowledge their hesitation and ask for their ideas or suggestions on how to address any potential issues.

Can "I'm not sure this is a good idea" be a valid reason to reject an idea?

Yes, "I'm not sure this is a good idea" can be a valid reason to reject an idea. It is important to consider and address any concerns or doubts raised by others before moving forward with an idea. However, it is also important to communicate and discuss potential solutions or alternatives.

How can I use "I'm not sure this is a good idea" in a constructive way?

"I'm not sure this is a good idea" can be used in a constructive way by providing specific reasons for your doubts or reservations, and offering suggestions for improvement. This can help facilitate a productive discussion and lead to a better decision or idea in the end.