Interested in grad school in Computational Physics, help?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in pursuing a career in computational physics, specifically in relation to advanced materials and computer simulations. They express concerns about the job market and the potential narrow focus of a Ph.D in the field. The responder advises being flexible in applying computational skills to different industries, and shares their own experience of hiring a physics Ph.D for a data science role.
QFP
Undergrad with about a year and a half of school left here! The looming spectre of the real world has come with the realization that I do not know anywhere near enough of physics and math to satisfy me. I love math, I want more than anything to understand and do work that involves computers at their most basic level and I love applying my knowledge to solve problems a la physics. I'm also a huge scifi/fantasy buff so I've got a bit of an active imagination that motivates and inspires me to work on futuristic stuff, mostly with regards to advanced materials because I view that as the foundation of the sorts of crazy engineering feats that I dream about humanity being able to do one day.

I really like the idea of having to use my knowledge of physics and computer hardware to develop and optimize computer simulations related to advanced materials research and from what I've read Computational Physics seems right up my alley. However, I want to make sure that I make a sound decision that will bring me a fulfilling career so I thought I would ask some questions to make sure that I'm not stepping unknowingly into an adders nest.

My two main fears are that pursuing a Ph.D in Computational Physics would leave me too specialized and thus susceptible to a potentially poor job market in my chosen field and unable to find work in a different one and also that the degree might be too narrow in its focus on the computational side of things and not on the physical and mathematical side of things.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello QFP, :welcome:

I sympathise ! The real world out there can scare anyone who is smart enough to think about it just a little bit. The best you can do is get a good education in something you like. Life is a lot more comfortable if you are competing with your peers well equipped with a good degree. And once you find a position you'll have to keep learning for the rest of your life anyway, so don't worry too much about susceptibility. Having said that: my personal experience is that learning new things at an advanced age is easier in applied fields than in fundamental areas. So, for myself I am glad I did physics at university and learned (a lot) about computing at work.

QFP said:
My two main fears are that pursuing a Ph.D in Computational Physics would leave me too specialized and thus susceptible to a potentially poor job market in my chosen field and unable to find work in a different one and also that the degree might be too narrow in its focus on the computational side of things and not on the physical and mathematical side of things.

So the important thing is to be flexible about the topic you're applying the computational skills to. If your only acceptable choice is a job doing computational physics after grad school, then it may be a difficult path.

However, if you're flexible and willing to apply the mathematical and computer science skills you've gained in the process to other problems, you could have a very wide variety of career choices facing you - and most of them pay very well.

This assumes that you learn a significant amount of computer science in the process, are flexible in what part of the economy you are willing to work in, and meet other requirements such as having a good work ethic and being someone people don't hate to work with.

As a side note, I work in an internal consulting group within a very large entertainment company. We do data science, mathematical optimization and industrial engineering (and more).

We recently hired a physics PhD who studied computational physics of materials in grad school (sound familiar?). They've been awesome.

Your mileage will vary.

1. What is Computational Physics?

Computational physics is the application of computer algorithms and simulations to solve complex problems in physics. It combines the principles of physics with computer science and mathematics to develop computational models and analyze data.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a graduate degree in Computational Physics?

Pursuing a graduate degree in Computational Physics can lead to job opportunities in various industries such as research, data analysis, and software development. It also allows for a deeper understanding of both physics and computer science, and the ability to apply this knowledge to real-world problems.

3. What are the prerequisites for applying to grad school in Computational Physics?

Most graduate programs in Computational Physics require a strong background in physics, mathematics, and computer science. It is also important to have a good understanding of programming languages such as Python, C++, and Fortran.

4. What type of research opportunities are available in Computational Physics?

There are many research opportunities available in Computational Physics, including projects related to quantum mechanics, fluid dynamics, and astrophysics. Many graduate programs also offer opportunities to work with faculty members on their research projects.

5. What advice do you have for someone interested in pursuing a graduate degree in Computational Physics?

My advice would be to gain a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and computer science before applying to graduate programs. It is also helpful to have some experience with programming and data analysis. Networking with professors and professionals in the field can also provide valuable insights and opportunities.