I'm nothing without my calculator....

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties faced by a civil engineering graduate who transferred to a new graduate program in engineering physics. The main challenge is the lack of allowed programmable calculators in the new program, which the individual heavily relied on in their previous program. They are currently struggling with advanced mathematical concepts and are unsure if they will be able to catch up. Some possible solutions are suggested, including talking to the professor and practicing more. The conversation ends with the individual considering dropping the class and potentially switching back to a career in civil engineering.
FarFromPhD
So i graduated with good gpa in a civil engineering program in a school in Québec. Problem is, at that said school, programmable calculators were allowed and we abused it. Every single integrals or derivatives or complex number manipulation was solved by it and now i transferred to another graduate school in a engineering physics master program (course based) and they don't allow any form of programmable calculators. I'm currently studying lagragians and hamiltonians in before quantum mechanics and quantum optics for microfabrication (photoelectrochemical cells and stuff). But i simply cannot do anything without my calculator.

Simply put, is it possible to rapidly grasp the maths for those topics or am i doomed to an undergraduate career in civil engineering... I been practicing for about 2-3 additional hours a day for 3 weeks now and I'm not even near where i want to be with hand derivatives and integrals.

Anyone here who wasn't good at manually solving problems and picked it up for grad schools?

Thanks alot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like the school just isn't a good fit. As an undergraduate, I remember having a couple of professors who were extremely authoritarian. Many years later, I look back and conclude these professors (who are likely now very old) took themselves a little too seriously. It is somewhat difficult to change schools=much time and effort are spent applying and getting admitted to a program as well as getting the funding, but this one sounds like a poor fit for you. It is likely they are very set in their ways and aren't going to try to make their program help meet your needs. ..editing...One thing you should look for in both academia and engineering employment is a place that can help make it an adventure for you.

Last edited:
Likes FarFromPhD
FarFromPhD said:
So i graduated with good gpa in a civil engineering program in a school in Québec. Problem is, at that said school, programmable calculators were allowed and we abused it. Every single integrals or derivatives or complex number manipulation was solved by it and now i transferred to another graduate school in a engineering physics master program (course based) and they don't allow any form of programmable calculators. I'm currently studying lagragians and hamiltonians in before quantum mechanics and quantum optics for microfabrication (photoelectrochemical cells and stuff). But i simply cannot do anything without my calculator.

Simply put, is it possible to rapidly grasp the maths for those topics or am i doomed to an undergraduate career in civil engineering... I been practicing for about 2-3 additional hours a day for 3 weeks now and I'm not even near where i want to be with hand derivatives and integrals.

Anyone here who wasn't good at manually solving problems and picked it up for grad schools?

Thanks alot.

I was in a similar situation. However I was lucky enough to have my graduate professors recognize that the goals of the exams is to test knowledge and application of engineering principals, not the subtleties of trig substitution. On exams the actual calculus wasn't that difficult, but the application was.

What degree of difficulty are the problems? Are you saying you can find the derivative of 2X+7^X? or are you concerned that you can find the integral of X^(e^(sinx)+7log(x)). If you can't do the first one by hand in a short amount of time you should work on your calc skills. If you can find the second one by hand in a short amount of time good for you, but it belongs on a calc exam, not a strength of materials exam.

note: both the problems and the class are made up for illustration :)

I recommend talking to your professor. In the real world people use computers. Depending on the difficulty of what you are being asked to do there may be exceptions. Have you had an exam yet?

Likes FarFromPhD
If you can't differentiate by hand, that's a serious problem. There's nothing difficult about differentiation. Integration is harder, but at this point, you should be able to do any of the integrals in an intro calculus book by hand. That's just basic knowledge you should have under your belt. Since you presumably learned this stuff before, it probably won't take you too long to relearn it.

Of course, there's a difference between knowing how to solve a problem, and being able to solve it quickly and efficiently. You typically develop the skills to do mathematical calculations efficiently with practice. Your unfortunate reliance on a calculator to bypass all that practice has left you at a disadvantage; you just have to put in the time to catch up to where you should have been.

Likes FarFromPhD
Thanks for the answers guys i really appreciate it. Yeah i can do the basic expressions but i struggle when it get deeper like d(e^sin(3x)+13x^3)/cosh(4x))dx . Anyway, i dropped a class to have a smooth session so i can get into the problems of my next semester quantum mechanics class. (They use the Griffiths book which is pretty well detailed so I am just going to work out the problems and practice the required maths). And if i still can't cope with it then after a whole semester of study i think I'm just going to call it and find a job in civil engineering...

Thanks again.

What does "I'm nothing without my calculator..." mean?

"I'm nothing without my calculator..." is a common phrase that suggests a person is heavily reliant on their calculator for solving mathematical equations or performing calculations. It implies that without a calculator, the person feels incompetent or unable to complete basic tasks.

Why do some people heavily rely on their calculator?

Some people may heavily rely on their calculator due to a lack of confidence in their own mathematical abilities, or because they find it more convenient and efficient to use a calculator for complex calculations. Others may have a learning disability that affects their ability to do mental math.

Is it unhealthy to rely on a calculator?

Relying on a calculator for basic calculations is not necessarily unhealthy, but it can hinder a person's ability to improve their mathematical skills and problem-solving abilities. It is important to strike a balance between using a calculator and practicing mental math to maintain a well-rounded skill set.

Can using a calculator improve mathematical skills?

Using a calculator can improve a person's efficiency and accuracy in solving complex equations, but it may not necessarily improve their overall mathematical skills. It is important to also practice mental math and understand the concepts behind mathematical equations in order to truly improve mathematical abilities.

Are there any negative effects of relying on a calculator?

Over-reliance on a calculator can lead to a decrease in a person's ability to do mental math and solve equations without the aid of technology. It can also hinder critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities. It is important to use a calculator in moderation and continue practicing mental math to avoid these negative effects.