I'm stuck Not sure where to go. Help

• Thread starter Cowtipper
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary, the system consists of two masses, 10 kg and 4.0 kg, connected by a cable passing over a pulley. The coefficient of static friction between the 10 kg mass and the horizontal surface is 0.50, and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.30. The acceleration of the system when the 4.0 kg mass moves downward is 0.701 m/s^2. This is determined by using equations for tension, friction, and normal reaction, and solving for acceleration.
Cowtipper

Homework Statement

An object with a mass of 10 kg (this mass is m1) rests on a horizontal table and is connected to a cable that passes over a pulley and is then fastened to a hanging object with mass of 4.0 kg (this mass is m2). The coefficient
of static friction between m1 and the horizontal surface
is 0.50, and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.30. If the system is set in motion with m2 moving
downward, what will be the acceleration of the system?

Homework Equations

m1 = mass one
m2 = mass two
T = tension
μ = coefficient of friction
g = gravity
a = acceleration
R = normal reaction

I got this helpful hint at another site, but I still can't figure it out...

For m2:
m2 g - T = m2 a ...(1)

Resolving horizontally and vertically for m1:
T - μR = m1 a ...(2)
R = m1 g ...(3)

Substitute for R from (3) in (2):
T - μm1 g = m1 a ...(4)

Add (1) & (4):
(m2 - μm1)g = (m1 + m2)a
a = (m2 - μm1)g / (m1 + m2)
= (4 - 0.3 * 10)g / (10 + 4)
= g / 14
= 0.701 m/s.

The Attempt at a Solution

And this is where I run into the problem. I'm not sure what to do, even with the helpful hint provided on another site.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You initially stated that m1 rests on a frictionless surface, then you give coefficients of static and kinetic friction for m1 and the surface. How is this so?

Oops, that was my mistake. I've edited the problem - it isn't frictionless. I'm very sorry about that...

Don't sweat it, I just wasn't sure what the problem was trying to accomplish. I'm not sure what you're having trouble on, you've already arrived at the correct answer. The only problem is your units and sig figs. It should be .70 m/s^2.

Oh, okay. Thanks a for the assistance.

[tex]\ W_2 - F_f = (m_1+ m_2) \cdot a [/tex] eq (1)

[tex]\ N = m_1 \cdot g [/tex] eq (2)

[tex]\ F_f = \mu \cdot N [/tex] eq (3)

[tex]\ F_f = \mu \cdot m_1 \cdot g [/tex] eq (4) from (2) into (3)

[tex]\ W_2 = m_2 \cdot g [/tex] eq (5)

[tex]\ m_2 \cdot g - \mu \cdot m_1 \cdot g = (m_1+ m_2) \cdot a [/tex]

[tex]\frac{\((m2 - \mu \cdot m1)} {\((m2 +m1)} g = 0.701 [/tex]

Related to I'm stuck Not sure where to go. Help

1. What should I do if I am stuck and not sure where to go?

If you are stuck and not sure where to go, the first thing you should do is take a step back and assess the situation. Identify what is causing you to feel stuck and brainstorm potential solutions. It may also be helpful to seek advice from a mentor, colleague, or friend.

2. How do I overcome feeling stuck and uncertain?

To overcome feeling stuck and uncertain, it is important to have a positive mindset and believe in yourself. Take small steps towards your goal and celebrate each accomplishment. It may also be helpful to break your goal into smaller, more manageable tasks.

3. Are there any techniques or strategies I can use to get unstuck?

Yes, there are various techniques and strategies you can use to get unstuck. Some examples include: brainstorming, mind mapping, taking a break and coming back to the problem with a fresh perspective, seeking advice from others, and setting specific and achievable goals.

4. How can I prevent feeling stuck in the future?

To prevent feeling stuck in the future, it is important to continuously learn and grow. This could involve seeking new challenges, expanding your knowledge and skill set, and setting new goals for yourself. It is also important to stay organized and prioritize your tasks.

5. Is it normal to feel stuck and unsure at times?

Yes, it is completely normal to feel stuck and unsure at times. It is important to remember that everyone experiences challenges and setbacks, and it is a natural part of the learning and growth process. The key is to stay persistent and keep a positive attitude.