I'm wondering if I can be a staff member

• Thread starter doglover9754
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of becoming a staff member on the PF forum. It is mentioned that currently there are no positions available, and typically staff members are chosen from long-time members with expertise in a specific field. The conversation also touches on the distinction between staff members and Science Advisors/Homework Helpers, and the criteria for being invited to become a Mentor. Some members express interest in becoming a staff member, while others joke about the responsibilities and duties that come with the position. Overall, it is noted that being a staff member is a serious responsibility and not something to be taken lightly.
doglover9754
So I see people with staff tags. I was wondering how to get it. This was the only place that I found it relevant to because it bothers me when there is something irrelevant in a category. If I need to add some stuff to apply, I will add that. I am a staff member on a Minecraft server so I have a gener idea on how to be a good staff member. I am an Honor Role student at school (I want to keep that confidential unless it's required). I am also 3rd seat in my band class. My favorite subjects are Math and Science, and I do very well in them. I can be very helpful in math because I have taken Algebra, and I can figure things out really easily. I can be very useful in science because I know some physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's great you are interested in a leadership role at PF. Currently there are no positions available and usually staff are chosen from long time members who have an expertise in a given field.

Likes WWGD, Bandersnatch, dlgoff and 1 other person
Greg Bernhardt said:
I think it's great you are interested in a leadership role at PF. Currently there are no positions available and usually staff are chosen from long time members who have an expertise in a given field.
Ok, thanks. Well, if I am given the chance, my door is always open!

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Yeah, I was also interested in how to become a staff member, but not to say that I am hugely interested. I just see lots of people around with such badges.

Ivan Samsonov said:
Yeah, I was also interested in how to become a staff member, but not to say that I am hugely interested. I just see lots of people around with such badges.

Really? There is only 22 of us, as compared with thousands of normal users. Yes, we are quite active.

Chances are you are mistaking Science Advisors and Homework Helpers with the Staff. While both SA and HH play a very important role at PF they are not members of the moderating team.

There's no limit on the number of HHs and SAs, as far as I know. Greg regularly asks current HHs, SAs and Mentors for nominations for new ones. If you post regularly and show expertise, you'll probably be noticed and nominated eventually.

You sound a bit young to moderate a scientific community where the average member has university level knowledge of mathematics/physics...

Likes ISamson
We have 67 homework helpers, 180 science advisors, and additionally 59 users who are both together.

Likes Evo and dextercioby
Ivan Samsonov said:

A member is INVITED to become a Mentor. There is no "applying" or application process for it.

So who gets invited? Someone who:

1. Has shown a good body of knowledge in a particular area that is covered on PF
2. Has been a long-time member of this forum and is particularly well-known and respected
3. Has shown the ability to think rationally and able to deal with people of all kinds
4. Will be a regular presence on the forum
5. Has already acquired a badge for being a Science Advisor and or Homework Helper
6. Has a thick skin
7. Has no life (this part is optional)

As far as I know, none of the current and immediate past Mentors and Moderators has ever asked how to become a Staff member, or has ever indicated that he/she would like to be one. That should tell you something.

Zz.

Likes dlgoff, Borg, ISamson and 1 other person
ZapperZ said:
As far as I know, none of the current and immediate past Mentors and Moderators has ever asked how to become a Staff member, or has ever indicated that he/she would like to be one.

And many asked asked for a day or two before making the decision about whether to accept the invitation. One does not simply go into Mordor.

Likes collinsmark, Evo, Borg and 2 others
Borek said:
One does not simply go into Mordor.
I take it Orodruin had no choice but to accept?

Likes Evo, mfb, I like Serena and 1 other person
Borek said:
And many asked asked for a day or two before making the decision about whether to accept the invitation. One does not simply go into Mordor.

I will even say that a few of us even turned down the invitation the first time it was offered. This is not a responsibility that many of us take lightly.

Zz.

Likes Evo
Ibix said:
I take it Orodruin had no choice but to accept?
The LotR lore is strong with this one.

Being a huge volcano I find it difficult to walk at all, so there was no escape ... :rolleyes:

Likes Evo, Ibix and Borek
Make me a staff member too. I want to be one.

Apple_Mango said:
Make me a staff member too. I want to be one.
We have plans to hand out Jr. Mentor badges. It's kinda like when you get that training shopping cart or the toy lawn mower when you are a kid. (I'm kidding) :smile:

Likes Evo, ISamson and russ_watters
Greg Bernhardt said:
We have plans to hand out Jr. Mentor badges.
They say "Greg's Little Helper" and come with a foam rubber ban hammer.

Likes DrClaude, mfb and Greg Bernhardt
Mentors are like Presidents. The people who would do the best job at being Mentors do not wish to be Mentors, and the people who want to be Mentors are the one's you should keep away from being Mentors.

Likes Tom.G, Evo, Borek and 1 other person
ZapperZ said:
Has no life (this part is optional)

It's not required before the appointment. It kind of takes care of itself.

Ibix said:
They say "Greg's Little Helper" and come with a foam rubber ban hammer.
It's not foam...
sledgehammer.jpg

Likes collinsmark and Bystander
Ibix said:
That's a junior ban hammer?:oldsurprised: What does a real one look like!? :oldwink:
Obviously...

maxresdefault.jpg

Likes collinsmark and Ibix
Greg Bernhardt said:
Obviously...

View attachment 211745
Which makes sense since it can only be picked up by those who are worthy.

Likes Ibix
I nominate myself as PF Overlord. Accepting cabinet position applications for the following positions:

1. Snitch: job responsibilities to include infiltrating PF faction groups attempting to undermine my overlord authority.

2. Biographer: job responsibilities include following me around in day to day life and recording my legacy on papyrus.

3. Muscle: job responsibilities include banning any opposition to the overlord. Pre requisite of moderator / admin status or willingness to learn.

Likes Drakkith

1. Can I become a staff member without a degree in science?

No, most staff positions in scientific organizations require a degree in a relevant field such as biology, chemistry, physics, or engineering. However, some positions may only require a high school diploma or equivalent, depending on the specific job duties.

2. What qualifications do I need to be a staff member in a scientific organization?

Apart from a degree in a relevant field, qualifications for staff positions in scientific organizations may also include specific skills or experience in areas such as data analysis, laboratory techniques, or project management. It is important to carefully review the job description and requirements before applying.

3. Do I need prior work experience to be a staff member in a scientific organization?

While prior work experience can be beneficial, it is not always a requirement for staff positions in scientific organizations. Many organizations offer training and on-the-job learning opportunities for new staff members. It is important to highlight any relevant experience or skills in your application.

4. Are there opportunities for career growth as a staff member in a scientific organization?

Yes, there are often opportunities for career growth and advancement within scientific organizations. Depending on the organization, staff members may have the opportunity to take on leadership roles, pursue advanced degrees or certifications, or move into specialized areas within their field.

5. What is the typical role of a staff member in a scientific organization?

The role of a staff member in a scientific organization can vary depending on the specific job duties and organization. However, some common responsibilities may include conducting research, analyzing data, assisting with experiments, and supporting ongoing projects and initiatives. It is important to review the job description for a specific role to understand the expectations and responsibilities.