Image created by concave mirror, sight from a distance.

In summary: If you can see yourself in the mirror, then the light would be coming from behind you and going towards the mirror. However, that is not what is happening.
rcmango

Homework Statement

A science museum has created a huge concave mirror with a focal length of 5 m, and mounted it so that it covers the entire wall at one end of a long hallway. If you stand on a center line painted down the middle of the hallway, you're on the mirror's principal axis. You and a friend are standing on the center line, you're 8 m from the mirror, and your friend is 20 m from it. Can both you and your friend see the image of you created by the mirror? Explain.

Homework Equations

1/f-1/do = 1/di

The Attempt at a Solution

I will be standing to close to the mirror to see myself, my friend can see me and himself in the mirror though.

f is the focal length. (5m)
do: will be the distance between the mirror and me.
di: is the actual image from the mirror.

so 1/f = 1/di + 1/do (whats the name of this equation?)

solve for the image distance, di

1/f-1/do = 1/di

(f*do)/(do-f) = di
..5m*8m/(8-5) = 13.33333333_ m.

13.3 repeating meters is farther away than I'm standing, but definitely closer than what my friend is standing of 20 meters.
So he can see me and himself in the mirror.

If he can see me, than he should be able to see himself.
Is there a way to prove this without actually calculating his distance out using the formula above?

Physics news on Phys.org
rcmango said:
13.3 repeating meters is farther away than I'm standing, but definitely closer than what my friend is standing of 20 meters.
So he can see me and himself in the mirror.
So he can see you and your image. But can you see your own image? Can he see his own image?

If he can see me, than he should be able to see himself.
Why is that?
Is there a way to prove this without actually calculating his distance out using the formula above?
No. Use the formula to find the location of his image.

using (f*do)/(do-f) = di
5m*20m / 5m-20m = 6.25m

So he would be able to see himself because his image is in between the mirror and him. So is my image, its in between him and the mirror. However, I can't see myself because my image reflection is shown past where I'm standing.

rcmango said:
So he would be able to see himself because his image is in between the mirror and him. So is my image, its in between him and the mirror. However, I can't see myself because my image reflection is shown past where I'm standing.
Good!

Okay, so a counter question is this, why can't I turn around and see my image?
You're definitely free to turn around, but why won't that help you see your image?

another tutor asked me this. I was dumbfounded because I thought I was facing the mirror to begin with. So, help please.

rcmango said:
Okay, so a counter question is this, why can't I turn around and see my image?
You're definitely free to turn around, but why won't that help you see your image?

another tutor asked me this. I was dumbfounded because I thought I was facing the mirror to begin with. So, help please.

Where is the light coming from? Where is the light going to [If you can see it]?

Hmm, so your asking if perhaps I could see my image? Then the light would be going towards me, at me, but that is not happening?

rcmango said:
Hmm, so your asking if perhaps I could see my image? Then the light would be going towards me, at me, but that is not happening?

True

Related to Image created by concave mirror, sight from a distance.

1. How does a concave mirror create an image?

A concave mirror creates an image by reflecting light rays that converge at a specific point, known as the focal point. This results in an inverted and magnified image.

2. What is the difference between a real and virtual image created by a concave mirror?

A real image is formed when the reflected light rays actually meet at a point, whereas a virtual image is formed when the reflected light rays appear to meet at a point, but do not actually do so.

3. How does the distance between the object and the concave mirror affect the image?

The distance between the object and the concave mirror affects the size and location of the image. When the object is closer to the mirror, the image is larger and located behind the mirror. As the object moves farther away, the image becomes smaller and located closer to the mirror.

4. What is the significance of the focal length in a concave mirror?

The focal length is the distance between the mirror and the focal point. It determines the size and location of the image. A shorter focal length results in a larger and closer image, while a longer focal length results in a smaller and farther image.

5. Can a concave mirror create a real image that is larger than the object?

Yes, a concave mirror can create a real image that is larger than the object if the object is placed between the focal point and the mirror. This is known as a magnifying glass effect.