How do you derive the mirror equation with a convex mirror?

In summary, the mirror equation for a convex mirror (Si*So=f^2) can be derived by using the equation 1/do + 1/di = 1/f and considering the relationship between the incident ray, the normal, and the reflected ray. This equation can be used to find the distance between the object and the focal point (So), the distance between the object's image and the focal point (Si), and the focal length (f) of the convex mirror. It is important to note that the Ray heading towards the center of curvature point (C) should not be used in this derivation.
Sciencelover91

Homework Statement

Derive the mirror equation for a convex mirror (Si*So=f^2). Do not use a Ray heading toward the center of curvature point (C).
Si - distance between the object's image and the focal point.
So- distance between the object and the focal point.
Do- distance between the mirror and object.
Di- distance between the mirror and the object's image.
f- focal length

Homework Equations

1/do + 1/di = 1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

My work is all on the picture. I am trying to get to the equation SoSi=f^2 but I don't get the right equation so I am wondering if I made a mistake in my diagram?

Attachments

• IMG_5964.JPG
    IMG_5964.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 542
Physics news on Phys.org
Sciencelover91 said:
a mistake in my diagram?
Look at the ray you have starting horizontally. Where it hits the mirror, draw the normal to the mirror at that point. What should be the relationship between that incident ray, the normal, and the reflected ray?

1. How does the mirror equation differ for a convex mirror compared to a concave mirror?

The mirror equation for a convex mirror is slightly different from that of a concave mirror. While the focal length of a concave mirror is positive, the focal length of a convex mirror is negative. This means that the image formed by a convex mirror is always virtual and upright.

2. What is the mathematical formula for the mirror equation with a convex mirror?

The mathematical formula for the mirror equation with a convex mirror is 1/f = 1/u + 1/v, where f is the focal length, u is the object distance, and v is the image distance.

3. What is the significance of the negative focal length in the mirror equation for a convex mirror?

The negative focal length in the mirror equation for a convex mirror indicates that the image formed by the mirror is virtual and upright. This means that the light rays do not actually converge at a point, but appear to be coming from a virtual image behind the mirror.

4. How does the object distance affect the image distance in the mirror equation for a convex mirror?

The object distance and the image distance are inversely proportional in the mirror equation for a convex mirror. This means that as the object distance increases, the image distance decreases. This also means that the image formed by a convex mirror is always smaller than the object.

5. Can the mirror equation be used to calculate the magnification of an image formed by a convex mirror?

Yes, the mirror equation can be used to calculate the magnification of an image formed by a convex mirror. The magnification is given by m = -v/u, where m is the magnification, v is the image distance, and u is the object distance. The negative sign indicates that the image formed by a convex mirror is always smaller than the object.