Image distance from the hemisphere lens

In summary: So if you were to observe from the flat side, the image would be on the right side of the lens. The distance between the object and hemisphere lens is R0. The hemisphere lens radius is R0. Find the distance between the image and the flat side of the lens if observing from the curved side of the lens. Refractive index of glass and air are n and 1 respectively.
PeppaPig

Homework Statement

1513998306714.jpg

As shown in the figure, the distance between the object and hemisphere lens is R0. The hemisphere lens radius is R0. Find the distance between the image and the flat side of the lens if observing from the curved side of the lens. Refractive index of glass and air are n and 1 respectively.

Homework Equations

n1/s + n2/s' = (n2-n1)/R

The Attempt at a Solution

Refracting on the flat side
s is -R0

-1/R0 + n/s' = (n-1)/∞
s' = R0n

Did I do the first step correctly?
And what should I do next?

Attachments

• 1513998306714.jpg
    1513998306714.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 738
Physics news on Phys.org
PeppaPig said:
-1/R0 + n/s' = (n-1)/∞
Why the -1 in the first term?

And what should I do next?
Hint: Image of first step becomes the object for the next step.

Likes PeppaPig
TSny said:
Why the -1 in the first term?

Hint: Image of first step becomes the object for the next step.
Thank you for your reply.
The object distance is negative because the observer is on the curved side of the lens. Is that correct? If the first term image is at -R0n then the second term object distance is -R0n + R0 and second term n1 is 1 and n2 is n.

1/(-R0n+R0) + n/s' = (n-1)/-R0

Is that correct?

PeppaPig said:
Thank you for your reply.
The object distance is negative because the observer is on the curved side of the lens. Is that correct?
The sign of the object distance does not depend on the presence of an observer. There are different choices of sign conventions that people use. So, it is important to consult your notes and/or textbook to review the sign conventions that you are using in your course. I suspect that you are using sign conventions such that the object distance is positive when the object is on the same side of the surface that the light strikes the surface. For the flat surface in your problem, the light is striking the left side of the flat surface. Since the object is also on the left side of the flat surface, the object distance is positive. But, again, you should verify that this corresponds to your sign convention.

If the first term image is at -R0n then the second term object distance is -R0n + R0
In your original post, you got that s' = +Ron. Now you are saying s' = -Ron. After reviewing your sign conventions to get make sure you are using the correct sign for the object distance s for the flat surface, see what you get for the sign of s' for the first (flat) surface. Then, think again about what you should use for the object distance for the second (curved) surface.

and second term n1 is 1 and n2 is n.
Are you using the convention where n1 is the index for the medium through which the light is traveling just before it strikes the surface and n2 is the medium through which the light is traveling after it passes through the surface? If so, then I don't think you have the correct values for n1 and n2 for the second (curved) surface.

Likes PeppaPig
TSny said:
The sign of the object distance does not depend on the presence of an observer. There are different choices of sign conventions that people use. So, it is important to consult your notes and/or textbook to review the sign conventions that you are using in your course. I suspect that you are using sign conventions such that the object distance is positive when the object is on the same side of the surface that the light strikes the surface. For the flat surface in your problem, the light is striking the left side of the flat surface. Since the object is also on the left side of the flat surface, the object distance is positive. But, again, you should verify that this corresponds to your sign convention.

In your original post, you got that s' = +R0n. Now you are saying s' = -R0n. After reviewing your sign conventions to get make sure you are using the correct sign for the object distance s for the flat surface, see what you get for the sign of s' for the first (flat) surface. Then, think again about what you should use for the object distance for the second (curved) surface.

Are you using the convention where n1 is the index for the medium through which the light is traveling just before it strikes the surface and n2 is the medium through which the light is traveling after it passes through the surface? If so, then I don't think you have the correct values for n1 and n2 for the second (curved) surface.

Thanks again for your help
In the first term the s' is -R0n which mean that the image is on the left side of the flat surface.

Then in the second term, the distance of the object should be R0n + R0 and since the light strike from the left side, n1 should be n and n2 should be 1. Is that correct?

n/(R0n + R0) + 1/s' = (1 - n)/-R0

Last edited:
PeppaPig said:
In the first term the s' is -R0n which mean that the image is on the left side of the flat surface.
Yes, good.

Then in the second term, the distance of the object should be R0n + R0n
You have a typographical error here
and since the light strike from the left side, n1 should be n and n2 should be 1. Is that correct?
Yes.

n/(R0n + R0) + 1/s' = (1 - n)/-R0
I think that's right.

Likes PeppaPig
Thank you very much for advising.

I think I can solve the rest myself.

The result is (R0n+R0)/(n2-n-1) + R0 = R0n2/(n2-n-1) (Distance from the flat surface)

PeppaPig said:
The result is (R0n+R0)/(n2-n-1) + R0 = R0n2/(n2-n-1) (Distance from the flat surface)
I think that's right. As a bit of a check, you could let n = 1 and see if the final image comes out where it should.

Likes PeppaPig
TSny said:
I think that's right. As a bit of a check, you could let n = 1 and see if the final image comes out where it should.
If the sign refers from the observer then the result should be -R0n2/(n2-n-1). Is that correct?

PeppaPig said:
If the sign refers from the observer then the result should be -R0n2/(n2-n-1). Is that correct?
I'm not sure what "refers from the observer" means. The answer s' = n2/(n2 - n - 1) gives the distance of the final image as measured from the flat surface. For a negative value of s' (when n = 1.4, say) the image will be to the left of the flat surface. For a positive value of s' (when n = 1.7, say), the image is to the right of the flat surface. If you know where the observer is located, then of course you could figure out the location of the image relative to the observer.

Likes PeppaPig

1. How is the image distance from a hemisphere lens calculated?

The image distance from a hemisphere lens can be calculated using the thin lens equation: 1/f = 1/d_o + 1/d_i, where f is the focal length, d_o is the object distance, and d_i is the image distance.

2. What factors affect the image distance from a hemisphere lens?

The image distance from a hemisphere lens is affected by the curvature of the lens, the object distance, and the refractive index of the lens material. Changes in these factors can alter the image distance.

3. How does the image distance change if the object is moved closer to the hemisphere lens?

If the object distance is decreased, the image distance will also decrease. This means that the image will appear closer to the lens, and it will be magnified.

4. Can the image distance from a hemisphere lens be negative?

Yes, the image distance from a hemisphere lens can be negative. This occurs when the object is located within the focal length of the lens, resulting in a virtual image that is upright and magnified.

5. How can the image distance from a hemisphere lens be used in practical applications?

The image distance from a hemisphere lens is important in designing optical systems, such as cameras and microscopes. It is also used in the production of curved mirrors and lenses for various applications, such as in telescopes and eyeglasses.