Image of a 1973 multi-mini computer database server

In summary, this was an advanced system at the time (1973), my first programming job. Multiple HP 2100 mini-computers (1 is HP 2116), each computer mult-tasking, a database server for 160 users at the time I left the company. Underneath each mini-computers is a 10 MB hard drive used to queue messages between computers, and ten 80 MB disk pack type disk drives. On top is a multiplexor for dedicated telephone lines and a paper tape photo reader (600 characters per second). I couldn't find the image for the other side of the room that had more stuff.I remember using the Wang 700 with nixie tube display for Lab work as undergrad. Almost turned me into a Computer Geek.
rcgldr
Homework Helper
This was an advanced system at the time (1973), my first programming job. Multiple HP 2100 mini-computers (1 is HP 2116), each computer mult-tasking, a database server for 160 users at the time I left the company. Underneath each mini-computers is a 10 MB hard drive used to queue messages between computers, and ten 80 MB disk pack type disk drives. On top is a multiplexor for dedicated telephone lines and a paper tape photo reader (600 characters per second). I couldn't find the image for the other side of the room that had more stuff.

octal.jpg

• Love
Likes fluidistic, Wrichik Basu, russ_watters and 3 others
Computer science news on Phys.org
I remember using the Wang 700 with nixie tube display for Lab work as undergrad. Almost turned me into a Computer Geek. Happily (for me) the physics force was stronger

I used a Wang 720C in 1972 that had a type ball printer that could be used as a plotter since the paper feed drum could move up or down. Wrote a cassette tape loader that would load a program via a number entered by the user. To minimize memory, it used a call to the routine that would do a load and execute that would repeat until a matching number was found, then return to a load and execute, so only using 2 instruction spaces for the call and the load and execute. In high school, we had a Monrobot (drum memory) in 1967, then an IBM 1130 (conventional mini-computer) in 1968 to 1970, plus Saturday sessions at an IBM data center in Los Angeles using low end IBM 360 mainframes. I also spent some time in 1969 and 1970 at a CDC data center, mostly 3150, and got to see a 6600 in action (it had a cool vector graphics monitor), got to run a couple of programs on the 6600 when there was an open time slot.

Last edited:
Likes hutchphd
It's come to this. A bunch of old guys talking about how they used their Wangs in the old days. <sigh>

• Haha
Likes Mark44, Tom.G, berkeman and 1 other person

1. What is a 1973 multi-mini computer database server?

A 1973 multi-mini computer database server is a type of computer system that was commonly used in the 1970s to store and manage large amounts of data. It was made up of multiple mini computers that worked together to store and retrieve information from a central database.

2. How did the 1973 multi-mini computer database server work?

The 1973 multi-mini computer database server worked by dividing up data into smaller chunks and distributing them across the mini computers. This allowed for faster data retrieval and increased storage capacity compared to a single large mainframe computer.

3. What were the benefits of using a 1973 multi-mini computer database server?

The main benefits of using a 1973 multi-mini computer database server were increased storage capacity, faster data retrieval, and cost-effectiveness. The use of multiple smaller computers was also seen as a more reliable option compared to a single mainframe computer.

4. What types of data were typically stored on a 1973 multi-mini computer database server?

A 1973 multi-mini computer database server was commonly used to store business data, such as customer information, sales records, and inventory data. It was also used for scientific research and data analysis.

5. How does the 1973 multi-mini computer database server compare to modern database servers?

The 1973 multi-mini computer database server was a precursor to modern database servers and was limited in terms of storage capacity and processing speed. However, it laid the foundation for the development of more advanced and powerful database servers that are used today.

Back