Imaginary Mass: Understanding Tachyons

In summary, the concept of imaginary mass is often used to describe particles that do not exist in the real world, such as tachyons and superbradyons. However, some theories, like quantum mechanics and string theory, incorporate complex numbers and contemplate the existence of these particles. Until they are discovered in a laboratory, their existence remains hypothetical.
gyroverse
I'm having trouble with concept of imaginary mass, i just want to know why do we need the whole concept of tachyons

Physics news on Phys.org
One way of thinking about it is that if m is imaginary then it does not exist in the real world. i.e. tachyons do not exist in the real world.

Garth

Garth said:
One way of thinking about it is that if m is imaginary then it does not exist in the real world. i.e. tachyons do not exist in the real world.
Garth

Pardon me Garth, but IMHO that is a very bad way of thinking. It amounts to a "world is flat" prejudgement and bias about how the world might be put together. Quantum Mechanics is built around the complex numbers and string theory contemplates existing tachyons.

The fact that the complex field is algebraically closed (every algebraic equation has solutions) and the real field is NOT should count for something!

Superbradyons also travel at superluminal velocity howcome their mass is real?

Point taken selfAdjoint and understood, however I did use the term "real world", which does not exclude an 'imaginary world' which such objects might inhabit.

On definition of the 'real world' is that in it all masses are real.

When we discover tachyons in the laboratory then I will conceed that we do not live in such a 'real' world.

The same goes for the even more exotic superbradyons (a hypothetical class of superluminal particles that, unlike tachyons, have positive real values for both mass and energy.)

gyroverse - I guess their rest mass must be imaginary.

With both tachyons and superbradyons is not the operative word: "hypothetical"?

Garth

Last edited:

Related to Imaginary Mass: Understanding Tachyons

1. What is an imaginary mass?

An imaginary mass is a theoretical concept in physics that describes a type of particle called a tachyon. Unlike regular particles, which have a measurable mass, tachyons have an imaginary mass, meaning that their mass is expressed as a complex number rather than a real number.

2. How does an imaginary mass impact the behavior of a tachyon?

An imaginary mass affects the behavior of a tachyon in a unique way. As tachyons have an imaginary mass, they must travel faster than the speed of light in order to have a real energy value. This means that tachyons can only travel at superluminal speeds, and as they increase in speed, their energy decreases.

3. Is there any evidence for the existence of tachyons with imaginary mass?

While there have been some experiments that have suggested the existence of tachyons, there is currently no solid evidence for their existence. The concept of imaginary mass and tachyons is largely theoretical and remains a topic of ongoing research and debate in the scientific community.

4. What are some potential implications of tachyons with imaginary mass?

If tachyons with imaginary mass do exist, it could have significant implications for our understanding of physics and the universe. For example, it could challenge the theory of relativity and open up the possibility of time travel. However, until there is concrete evidence for their existence, these implications remain purely speculative.

5. Can an object with imaginary mass ever become real?

No, an object with imaginary mass cannot become real. Imaginary mass is a fundamental property of tachyons and cannot be converted into a real mass. This is because imaginary mass is a complex number, while real mass is a real number, so there is no way to convert between the two.