Imaginary numbers concept help

In summary, the conversation is about imaginary numbers and a student's confusion with a particular problem involving multiplication with i. They ask for clarification and provide an example from their textbook, but upon further investigation, it is discovered that there may be a typo in the book. The conversation ends with the student realizing that the rest of the solution to the problem is missing from their textbook.
rollcast
I've been learning about imaginary numbers and while I understand the concept of them I have tried a few examples with them and I don't get some of the answers.

why can you not take

xi = 90i

and multiply it by i

x*i*i = 90*i*i
x*-1 = 90*-1
-x=-90
x=90

Thanks
AL

Mathematics news on Phys.org
rollcast said:
why can you not take

xi = 90i

and multiply it by i

x*i*i = 90*i*i
x*-1 = 90*-1
-x=-90
x=90

Thanks
AL

You can. All of your steps are valid. Why do you think you can't do this? (as a side note, you could simply just divide both sides by i)

The book gave xi = 90i as the answer to the problem?

Possibly we are interpreting your "xi = 90i" wrongly, because that is only an approximate "copy" of the notation in the book.

Can you scan the page or photograph it and attach the image, so we can see exactly what the book says?

AlephZero said:
Possibly we are interpreting your "xi = 90i" wrongly, because that is only an approximate "copy" of the notation in the book.

Can you scan the page or photograph it and attach the image, so we can see exactly what the book says?

Its only a typed additional section that our maths teacher gave us to add to our textbook as it didn't cover imaginary and complex numbers.

What I typed, xi = 90i, is exactly how it is displayed on the sheet?

rollcast said:
Its only a typed additional section that our maths teacher gave us to add to our textbook as it didn't cover imaginary and complex numbers.

What I typed, xi = 90i, is exactly how it is displayed on the sheet?

The answer would never be xi = ... where x is the value you were trying to find and i is the imaginary number. Either it's meant to be xi where i is subscripted or it's simply a typo.

Think about it, would the answer book ever intentionally say 2x = 10?

Mentallic said:
The answer would never be xi = ... where x is the value you were trying to find and i is the imaginary number. Either it's meant to be xi where i is subscripted or it's simply a typo.

Think about it, would the answer book ever intentionally say 2x = 10?

I just compared my book with a friends and the rest of the solution is on the back of the page but its blank on mine.

rollcast said:
I just compared my book with a friends and the rest of the solution is on the back of the page but its blank on mine.

Well, this is the homework help section, so if you need a solution to a problem you can go about it by asking us help on the parts of the problem you're unsure of.

1. What are imaginary numbers?

Imaginary numbers are numbers that can be written as a real number multiplied by the imaginary unit i, which is defined as the square root of -1.

2. Why do we need imaginary numbers?

Imaginary numbers are needed to solve certain mathematical problems that cannot be solved with real numbers alone. They are particularly useful in solving equations and problems involving square roots of negative numbers.

3. How are imaginary numbers represented?

Imaginary numbers are represented by the letter i, where i^2=-1. They can be written in the form a+bi, where a is the real part of the number and bi is the imaginary part. For example, 3+4i is an imaginary number where a=3 and b=4.

4. What is the difference between real and imaginary numbers?

The main difference between real and imaginary numbers is that real numbers can be plotted on a number line, while imaginary numbers cannot. Real numbers also include all rational and irrational numbers, while imaginary numbers only include numbers with the imaginary unit i.

5. Are imaginary numbers used in real life?

Yes, imaginary numbers are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. They are particularly useful in solving problems involving waves and oscillations, as well as in electrical engineering for calculating AC circuits.