Imaginary sinusoidal exponential

In summary, the conversation discussed the validity of the equation ##e^{ikr\text{cos}\ \theta}=\frac{\text{sin}\ \theta}{kr}## and the correct form of the Euler formula for a complex exponential. It was pointed out that the integrand in a certain calculation should be ##\frac{\sin kr}{k}## instead of ##\frac{\text{sin}\ \theta}{kr}##, and it was clarified that the Euler formula is actually ##e^{i\phi} = \text{cos}\ \phi + i\text{sin}\ \phi##.
spaghetti3451
I need to convince myself that

##e^{ikr\text{cos}\ \theta}=\frac{\text{sin}\ \theta}{kr}##.

Could you please help me with it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cannot be true, the left side is complex whereas the right side is real.

Sorry, there was a typo.

How about this one:

##\text{exp}({ikr\text{cos}\ \theta}) = \frac{\text{exp}(ikr)-\text{exp}(-ikr)}{2ikr}##?

What do you know about the Euler formula for a complex exponential ##e^{i\phi}##?

The Euler formula is ##e^{i\phi}= \text{cos}\ \phi + \text{sin}\ \phi##.

I don't see how ##\text{exp}(ikr\text{cos}\ \theta) = \frac{\text{sin}(kr)}{kr}##.

failexam said:
The Euler formula is ##e^{i\phi}= \text{cos}\ \phi + \text{sin}\ \phi##.
It's ##e^{i\phi}= \text{cos}\ \phi + i\text{sin}\ \phi##.
failexam said:
I don't see how ##\text{exp}(ikr\text{cos}\ \theta) = \frac{\text{sin}(kr)}{kr}##.
Indeed, I too, do not see how that can be true.

The following is taken from page 39 of Matthew Schwartz's 'Introduction to Quantum Field Theory.' My above posts refer to the third and fourth lines of the following calculation:

Capture.jpg
a

Would you please have a look and let me know what I'm missing in the previous posts?

$$\int_{-1}^1 d(\cos \theta) e^{ikr\cos \theta} = \frac{1}{ikr}e^{ikr\cos \theta}\Big|_{-1}^1 = \frac{e^{ikr}-e^{-ikr}}{ikr}$$
Then in the third line you have ##\frac{\sin kr}{k}## as the integrand to be integrated from 0 to infiinity. The function ##\frac{\sin kr}{k}## is an even function, thus
$$
\int_0^\infty \frac{\sin kr}{k} \, dk = \frac{1}{2} \int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{\sin kr}{k} \, dk
$$

Likes spaghetti3451
Thanks! I feel like a total idiot now! :frown:

What is an imaginary sinusoidal exponential?

An imaginary sinusoidal exponential is a mathematical function that combines both imaginary and real components. It follows an exponential growth or decay pattern, with the imaginary component represented by the sine or cosine function.

How is an imaginary sinusoidal exponential used in science?

Imaginary sinusoidal exponential functions are commonly used to model real world phenomena, such as electrical circuits, oscillating systems, and biological processes. They can also be used to analyze and predict behavior of systems that exhibit exponential growth or decay.

What is the difference between an imaginary sinusoidal exponential and a regular exponential function?

The main difference is that an imaginary sinusoidal exponential has both real and imaginary components, while a regular exponential function only has a real component. This allows for more complex and dynamic behavior in the imaginary sinusoidal exponential.

What is the role of the imaginary unit in an imaginary sinusoidal exponential?

The imaginary unit, represented by the letter "i", is essential in an imaginary sinusoidal exponential as it allows for the combination of real and imaginary components. Without the imaginary unit, the function would not exhibit the oscillating behavior seen in sinusoidal functions.

Are there any practical applications of imaginary sinusoidal exponential functions?

Yes, there are many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and biology. Some examples include modeling electrical circuits, analyzing population growth, and studying the behavior of waves and vibrations. Imaginary sinusoidal exponential functions are also used in signal processing and image compression.