Imo small question about the functional equation

• Thread starter Andrax
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functional
In summary, the conversation discusses the functional equation from the International Mathematical Olympiad 2012 and its solution. The problem is to find the function f:Z->Z that satisfies the equation f(a)+f(b)+f(c)=2f(a)f(b)+2f(b)f(c)+2f(c)f(a). The solution involves setting a=0, b=-a, c=0 to get f(0)=0 and then setting a=-a, b=a, c=0 to get (f(a)-f(-a))^2=0, which leads to the conclusion that f(a)=f(-a). However, the speaker is confused as to why this means that all even functions are solutions, as not all even
Andrax

Homework Statement

as some of you might've done it this is the functional eqUATION FROM THE IMO 2012 / a + b + c = 0 f2(a)+f2(b)+f2(c)=2f(a)f(b)+2f(b)f(c)+2f(c)f(a). f:Z->Z http://www.cut-the-knot.org/arithmetic/algebra/2012IMO-4.shtml <- link of the problem and its SOLUTION
now i worked with this equatio nyesterday and i just need someone to correct me
setting 0 0 0 just like the solution is doing we get f(0) = 0 now setting a -a 0 gives us (f(a)-f(-a))^2=0 thus f(a)=f(-a) this is the part where i get reall confused , why can't we just conclude that all even functions are the solution ,well it dosen't work for all even functions which is weird since we got f(a)=f(-a) can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong here?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Function f has property P. You deduce from this that it must be an even function. How does it follow that all even functions have property P?

Related to Imo small question about the functional equation

1. What is a functional equation?

A functional equation is an equation in which the unknown quantities are functions. It relates one or more functions to itself or other functions. The goal is to find the function(s) that satisfy the equation.

2. How is a functional equation different from a regular equation?

In a regular equation, the unknown quantities are numbers or variables, while in a functional equation, the unknown quantities are functions. Functional equations also involve operations on functions, such as composition or differentiation, rather than simple arithmetic operations.

3. What are some common types of functional equations?

Some common types of functional equations include linear, quadratic, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functional equations. Each type has its own specific form and methods for solving.

4. What are the applications of functional equations?

Functional equations are used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, economics, and mathematics. They are also used in practical applications, such as optimization problems, modeling complex systems, and designing algorithms.

5. How can I solve a functional equation?

Solving a functional equation requires identifying the type of equation and using appropriate methods to find the function(s) that satisfy it. These methods may include substitution, iteration, or specific techniques for each type of functional equation. It also requires a strong understanding of algebra, calculus, and other mathematical concepts.