Verify the PDE has the following solution

• Thread starter docnet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
In summary, the problem is that in order to solve for ##u##, you need to find the coefficients of ##f(x-t)+g(x+t)## and ##\partial_t u=-f+g##. However, these terms are not equal unless you set t=0, which doesn't seem to be the case in the given scenario.
docnet
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Verify the PDE has the following solution
Relevant Equations
##u(t,x)=f(x-t)+g(x+t)##
Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 2.49.16 AM.png
Hello, please lend give me your wisdom.

I suspect this problem is about the wave equation ##\partial_t^2-\partial_x^2=0## commonly encountered in physics. I tried a search for information but I could not find help.

Attempt at arriving at solution:

So I took the partial derivatives of ##u(t,x)=f(x-t)+g(x+t)##

##\partial_t u=-\partial_tf(x-t)+\partial_tg(x+t)##
##\partial_t^2 u=\partial_t^2f(x-t)+\partial_t^2g(x+t)##
##\partial_x u=\partial_xf(x-t)+\partial_xg(x+t)##
##\partial_x^2 u=\partial_x^2f(x-t)+\partial_x^2g(x+t)##

Giving
##\partial_t^2-\partial_x^2 =0##
##\partial_t^2f(x-t)+\partial_t^2g(x+t) -\partial_x^2f(x-t)-\partial_x^2g(x+t)=0##
##\partial_t^2f(x-t) -\partial_x^2f(x-t)+\partial_t^2g(x+t)-\partial_x^2g(x+t)=0##

I try to reason if the last line is true, then so is ##\partial_t^2-\partial_x^2=0## because it shows
##\partial_t^2f(x-t) -\partial_x^2f(x-t)=0, \partial_t^2g(x+t)-\partial_x^2g(x+t)=0##.
Although it does not feel sufficient.

For ##u=f+g## I can set ##t=0## in ##u(t,x)=f(x-t)+g(x+t)## and just get back ##u=f+g##.

For ##\partial_t u=-f+g## I can take ##\partial_t u=-\partial_tf(x-t)+\partial_tg(x+t)## and set ##t=0## to get back ##\partial_t u=-\partial_tf+\partial_tg##. So the last condition is not satisfied unless setting t=0 somehow means removing ##\partial_t## from both terms.

Physics news on Phys.org
If that from a book?
Unless I missed something I am confused why the second condition is not
$$\partial_tu=-f^\prime+g^\prime \textrm{ on } \{t=0\}\times\mathbb{R}$$

Likes docnet
It seems like you have proven it and then doubt your own proof. I see nothing wrong with your proof and do not understand why you doubt it.

Likes docnet

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a mathematical equation that contains partial derivatives of an unknown function with respect to multiple independent variables. It is used to model physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What does it mean to "verify" a PDE?

To "verify" a PDE means to check whether a given function satisfies the equation. This involves substituting the function into the PDE and seeing if the resulting equation is true.

3. How do you know if a solution is valid for a PDE?

A solution is valid for a PDE if it satisfies the equation and any given boundary or initial conditions. This means that when the solution is substituted into the PDE, it makes the equation true for all values of the independent variables.

4. What are some techniques for verifying a PDE solution?

Some techniques for verifying a PDE solution include separation of variables, method of characteristics, and Fourier transforms. These methods involve manipulating the PDE and using known properties to simplify the equation and verify the solution.

5. Why is it important to verify a PDE solution?

It is important to verify a PDE solution to ensure that the solution accurately represents the physical phenomenon being modeled. Verifying the solution also helps to identify any errors or mistakes in the solution process, and can provide insight into the behavior of the system being studied.