Impact force from rotating object?

In summary, a user requires help in calculating the impact force on an inspection window if one of the cutter blades were to separate from the main assembly. The rotating cutter is spinning at 3000rpm with a radius of 115mm and a distance of 135mm from the window. The weight of the cutter section is 0.240kg. The linear speed of the cutter blade is approximately 36m/s. To calculate the force, an acceleration is needed, which would depend on the material properties and the change in velocity and time. Various factors such as coefficient of restitution and impact area need to be considered. A mechanical engineering dynamicist would be able to provide further assistance.
GuyTom
Hi,

Please could someone help me with the following, I have a rotating cutter and I need to calculate the impact force on an inspection window if one of the cutter blades was to separate from the main assembly.

The cutter is spinning at 3000rpm
The cutter radius is 115mm (rotating radius)
The distance from the cutter position and the inspection window is 135mm
The weight of the cutter section coming away from the main assembly is 0.240kg

I have calculated that the linear speed of the cutter blade would be approx. 36m/s once it breaks off...

Any help is gratefully recieved.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You might have made an error when finding the linear velocity. I assume you multiplied the angular velocity by radius; the problem is the angular velocity is in rotations per minute and not radians per minute.

Likes GuyTom
person123 said:
You might have made an error when finding the linear velocity. I assume you multiplied the angular velocity by radius; the problem is the angular velocity is in rotations per minute and not radians per minute.

thats corrct I did multiply by 314 radian/ sec rather than 3000rpm, its just initially when i did the calc (0.115m radius x 3000rpm) the answer of 345m/s seemed high to me.

Also to get a force from this I need an acceleration (F = M x A) and this gives me only the linear speed. How do I achieve the force?

Thanks again for any help.

GuyTom said:
Also to get a force from this I need an acceleration (F = M x A) and this gives me only the linear speed. How do I achieve the force?

In this case, the acceleration would be how rapidly the blade gets slowed down when striking the window. Unfortunately, this is where I can no longer help you, so you're going to have to wait for somebody who knows about the material properties.

person123 said:
In this case, the acceleration would be how rapidly the blade gets slowed down when striking the window. Unfortunately, this is where I can no longer help you, so you're going to have to wait for somebody who knows about the material properties.

No problem, you have been a great help. thank you.

A couple of approaches to consider. Unfortunately not really my area so I can't remember all of the details about momentum & impact. A good mechanical engineering dynamicist could help.

Kinetic Energy KE = (1/2) * (mass) * (velocity)^^2
Material must be able to survive point energy > than KE.
Change in momentum is significant here.
Coefficient of restitution (elastic nature of object-target materials interaction & "bounce effects") is significant here.
Or...conduct a series of simple impact experiments.

F = M * A.
A ~ (change in velocity) / (change in time).
(change in velocity) = your max calculated velocity - 0 (ending velocity).
(change in time) = some reasonable estimate of time for the object to decelerate to 0 velocity.

Once you have force F, then you can estimate stress applied to the material.
Stress = F / (impact area)
(impact area) gets very tricky & subjective:
  • object impacts window in which attitude & orientation? Impacts on face of max area? Impacts on corner or point of minimum area?
  • at what angle?
  • impacts along an edge or line?
With estimated applied stress, can compare against tensile & yield stress of the window material.

Likes GuyTom

Related to Impact force from rotating object?

1. What is the definition of impact force from a rotating object?

The impact force from a rotating object is the amount of force exerted on a surface at the point of impact by an object that is rotating and colliding with it. This force is typically measured in Newtons (N).

2. How is the impact force from a rotating object calculated?

The impact force from a rotating object can be calculated using the equation F = m x v^2 / r, where F is the impact force, m is the mass of the rotating object, v is its linear velocity, and r is the distance from the center of rotation to the point of impact.

3. What factors affect the impact force from a rotating object?

The impact force from a rotating object is affected by several factors, including the mass and velocity of the rotating object, the distance from the center of rotation to the point of impact, and the angle of impact.

4. How does the angle of impact affect the impact force from a rotating object?

The angle of impact plays a significant role in determining the impact force from a rotating object. A direct head-on impact will result in a higher impact force compared to an angled impact, as the force is distributed over a larger surface area.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding impact force from rotating objects?

Understanding the impact force from rotating objects is essential in various industries, such as automotive and aerospace, where rotating parts can cause significant damage upon impact. It is also crucial in sports, such as baseball and tennis, where the impact force of a rotating object, such as a ball, can affect the outcome of a game.