Impact Load Due for Dropped Mass onto Bolt Threads

In summary: This design has the following advantages:1. The threads are not exposed to the load and so are not damaged.2. The mounting stud can be reused many times.3. The load is spread over a wider area.In summary, the installation tool has a standard long bolt and nut with a 100 lbs mass object that would drop onto it from about 1 - 2 inches. There are many forces to consider and the designer is looking into that. The goal is not to have the threads deform too much over time, so the designer wants to know if there is a way to quantify the deformation on the threads as the object is dropped onto it. It seems over the designer's head. The attached
Shumon Hossain
Hello,

I have an installation tool (which basically consists of a standard long bolt and nut) and a 100 lbs mass object would drop onto it (as if it were a hook) from about 1 - 2 inches. There are many forces to consider and I am looking into that. Since this installation tool will be reusable, I prefer not to have the threads deform too much over time. So I would like to know if there is a way to quantify the deformation on the threads as I drop the object onto it. It seems over my head. Thanks in advance for the help. See the attached image to get a better visual.

Attachments

• Dropped Mass on Bolt Threads.pdf
    140.8 KB · Views: 282
Engineering news on Phys.org
Shumon Hossain said:
Hello,

I have an installation tool (which basically consists of a standard long bolt and nut) and a 100 lbs mass object would drop onto it (as if it were a hook) from about 1 - 2 inches. There are many forces to consider and I am looking into that. Since this installation tool will be reusable, I prefer not to have the threads deform too much over time. So I would like to know if there is a way to quantify the deformation on the threads as I drop the object onto it. It seems over my head. Thanks in advance for the help. See the attached image to get a better visual.
Welcome back to the PF. :smile:

Seems like a bad setup. Is there no other way you can do things? Dropping a hard weight onto bare threads, with the resulting thread deformation and bending moment on the bolt, would seem to be a bad design (IMO). Why does it have to be that way?

The profile of the thread will be important. You show trapezoidal thread, a bit like acme, on the bolt with a flat tip profile, while real threads that are easier to cut, will appear sharper with less area and so be damaged more easily.

You show the installation nut as a long nut, a bit like a coupler nut.
The quick solution to the problem is to make a mounting stud that has:
1. Only a short thread at one end to fully engage with the body.
2. An exposed section of bolt that is not threaded, and;
3. A threaded section for the coupler nut.
The coupler nut is then partly bored out so it is always runs on and is supported on the section of the stud without thread. Sufficient thread is kept in the coupler nut to carry the clamping load.

The load then drops onto the un-threaded shank of the mounting stud. Two short nuts locked together on far end of the stud aid insertion and extraction of the threaded tool into the body. Those nuts also prevent exposure of the thread if the coupler nut was withdrawn beyond the un-threaded portion of the shank.

1. What is an impact load?

An impact load is a sudden force applied to an object or structure, typically caused by a dropped mass or a collision. It is measured in units of force, such as newtons or pounds.

2. How is impact load calculated?

To calculate impact load, you need to know the weight of the dropped mass, the height from which it was dropped, and the type of surface or object that it is impacting. The formula for impact load is force = mass x acceleration due to gravity x height.

3. What is the effect of impact load on bolt threads?

When a dropped mass impacts a bolt, it creates a sudden force that can cause the threads to deform or even break. This can weaken the bolt and compromise the integrity of the structure it is holding together.

4. How can the impact load on bolt threads be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce the impact load on bolt threads, including using shock-absorbing materials, increasing the diameter of the bolt, or using a different type of bolt such as a shoulder bolt. Proper installation and regular maintenance can also help prevent excessive impact loads.

5. What are the safety implications of impact load on bolt threads?

Excessive impact load on bolt threads can lead to failure of the bolt and potentially cause serious accidents or injuries. It is important to properly calculate and manage impact loads to ensure the safety and stability of structures and equipment.