Impact of crystal defects on band diagram.?

In summary, crystal defects have a significant impact on the band diagram of a material. In semiconductors, defects can create isolated electronic states within the band gap, and with a higher concentration, they can even form a new band. To learn more about this topic, introductory solid state and semiconductor physics books such as Kittel are recommended, and for computational condensed matter, the review article provided is a valuable resource.
Musa
I was studying about Crystal defects in crystals and came to know that it has huge effect on band diagram.I don't know about their specific impact on band diagram.So what are major impacts of crystal defects on band diagram.?

Physics news on Phys.org
For example, in a semiconductor, if there is a dilute concentration of defects, they would induce isolated defect electronic states in the gap of the semiconductors. If the concentration of the defects increases they may create a whole new band.

Likes Musa
Useful nucleus said:
For example, in a semiconductor, if there is a dilute concentration of defects, they would induce isolated defect electronic states in the gap of the semiconductors. If the concentration of the defects increases they may create a whole new band.
Can you please give me a link so that i further learn about it.

This is typically covered in introductory solid state / semiconductor physics books such as Kittel. I'm unaware of a good online resources, but just a quick google search gave me:
https://www.ifm.liu.se/materialphys...ning-1/semiconductor-physics/SP-Le4.5-pdf.pdf

If you are into computational condensed matter, then this recent review is great:

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Anderson_Janotti/publication/262982280_First-principles_calculations_for_point_defects_in_solids/links/5605353d08ae8e08c08afbe6.pdf

1. What are crystal defects and how do they affect band diagrams?

Crystal defects refer to imperfections or irregularities in the atomic structure of a crystal. These defects can include vacancies, interstitials, dislocations, and impurities. They can affect band diagrams by creating localized energy levels within the band gap, altering the electronic properties of the crystal.

2. How do crystal defects impact the conductivity of a material?

Crystal defects can impact conductivity by introducing trap states within the band gap that can act as barriers for electron flow. This can decrease the overall conductivity of the material by hindering the movement of charge carriers.

3. Can crystal defects be intentionally created to manipulate band diagrams?

Yes, crystal defects can be intentionally created through processes such as doping or ion implantation in order to modify the electronic properties of a material. This can be useful in applications such as semiconductor devices.

4. Do all crystal defects have the same impact on band diagrams?

No, the impact of crystal defects on band diagrams can vary depending on the type and location of the defect. For example, vacancies and interstitials may have different effects on the band structure compared to impurities or dislocations.

5. How do crystal defects affect the optical properties of a material?

Crystal defects can affect the optical properties of a material by altering the band gap energy and the absorption and emission spectra. This can be seen in materials used for optoelectronic devices, where the presence of defects can change the color or efficiency of light emission.