Impedance matching without smith charts

In summary, the author is trying to find an input impedance for a single stub tuner. He first determines the dielectric loss and then calculates the maximum power transfer if the input impedance is equal to the characteristic impedance of the transmission line. If the input impedance is not equal to the characteristic impedance of the transmission line, then the author provides a two step process to find the input impedance that is equal to the characteristic impedance of the transmission line.
rppearso
Can anyone help me with impedance matching WITHOUT using smith charts. I am trying to develop a mathcad template to calculate imput impedances for normal power line systems as well as parallel and series impedance matching. I was not very good at using smith charts and never really got the hang of it and would like to build a tool I could use to be successful in graduate level antenna theory.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, it is absolutely possible. What do you mean by power line? Are you talking about real power line that is 60Hz and running miles long? Post your parameter and what are you looking for. I might have to take a little bit of time reviewing the formulas particular if you are talking about power lines which might be parallel line tx lines. My only doubt is finding the impedance of the line if it is just lines hanging on the post. If we can determine the impedance then, yes you can do the matching without Smith Chart.

The basic input impedance formula is:

[tex]Z_{in}(z)= Z_0 \frac{Z_s-Z_0 \tanh (δz)}{Z_0-Z_s \tanh (δz)}\;\hbox { where }\; \delta =\alpha+j\beta \hbox { and } \beta =\frac {2\pi}{\lambda}[/tex]

Where z is the distance from the generator ( power station). [itex] Z_s\;[/itex] is the output impedance of the power station ( source impedance). [itex]Z_0\;[/itex] is the characteristics of the transmission line. [itex]\alpha\;[/itex] is the attenuation constant that you don't want to deal with if possible.

But for 60Hz power line hanging in the air, dielectric loss can be assume zero or assume lossless dielectric. The only thing that contribute to loss is the ohmic loss due to the resistance of the wire. At 60Hz, I don't think you need to worry about skin effect and just use the resistance given by the data sheet.

On first pass, it you can assume ideal lossless transmission line, things get much easier as the input impedance:

[tex]Z_{in}(z)= Z_0 \frac{Z_s-jZ_0 \tan (\beta z)}{Z_0-jZ_s \tan (\beta z)}\;\hbox { where }\; \beta =\frac {2\pi}{\lambda}[/tex]

Since dielectric is air in power line, so [itex] \epsilon=\epsilon_0\;[/itex] and speed of propagation is [itex]3\times 10^8 m/sec\;[/itex]. With this, you find [itex]\beta[/itex].

The difficult parameters are the [itex]Z_s[/itex] which you have to find out. Also, [itex]Z_0\;[/itex] is the characteristic impedance of the transmission line and you need to provide the dimension and structure of the power lines to determine. I am not particularly good in doing this. Particular it is 3 phase and they do cross talk to each other.

If you can get through to this point, all you have to do is to terminate with complex conjugate and you get matching termination.

The maximum power transfer is if the [itex] Z_s=Z_0[/itex], then you just terminate with the characteristic impedance of the transmission line and you are done, no worry about the distance or Smith Chart. And sorry I don't know anything about power station. I am just doing the impedance match thingy for you. And I have a suspicion that's the easy part, your power station impedance and the transmission line impedance is the hard part. The calculations are simple enough I would just do it in Excel. I did a lot of the simulation in Excel.

Last edited:
I have derived what I think should work as far as a program input.

Zd=-Zl/(Zl-1) Single stub tuner where Zl=Zo*(1+ [itex]\Gamma[/itex]*e^-2*[itex]\beta[/itex]*l)/(1-[itex]\Gamma[/itex]*e^-2*[itex]\beta[/itex]*l)

For l=0 to 1 step 0.0001

d=-1/2*[itex]\beta[/itex]*ln((1/[itex]\Gamma[/itex])*((Zd/Zo)-1)/((Zd/Zo)+1))

If Im(d) < 0.0001 and display 1 = null THEN display 1 Re(d) and l
Else if Im(d) < 0.0001 then display 2 Re(d) and l
End if
Next l

The display was to represent a cell in excel however since these are all complex results I don't think I will be able to use VB unless I painstakingly break up the complex and real parts of the equation so that VB can treat them a simply different variables.

Otherwise I would wirte this in MATLAB which is the language of EE anyways.

Last edited:

Impedance matching is an important concept in the field of antenna theory, and it is essential for optimizing the performance of any antenna system. While the use of smith charts can be a helpful tool in impedance matching, it is not the only method available. There are alternative methods that can be used to achieve impedance matching without relying on smith charts.

One approach to impedance matching is to use the concept of the reflection coefficient, which is a measure of how much of the incident wave is reflected back from the load. By manipulating the reflection coefficient, it is possible to achieve impedance matching without using smith charts.

Another approach is to use the equations for calculating impedance in parallel and series circuits. These equations can be used to determine the necessary values for matching components, such as inductors and capacitors, to achieve the desired impedance.

In addition, there are various software tools and mathematical models available that can assist in calculating impedance matching without the use of smith charts. For example, Mathcad, as mentioned in the content, can be a useful tool for performing these calculations.

Overall, while smith charts can be a valuable tool in impedance matching, they are not the only option available. By understanding the underlying principles and using alternative methods, it is possible to achieve successful impedance matching without relying on smith charts.

What is impedance matching without smith charts?

Impedance matching without smith charts is a technique used in electrical engineering to match the impedance of a load (such as a transmission line or antenna) to the source impedance. This ensures maximum power transfer and minimizes reflections.

Why is impedance matching important?

Impedance matching is important because it allows for efficient signal transmission and prevents signal loss. When the impedance of the load and source do not match, reflections can occur which can lead to signal distortion and reduced power transfer.

How is impedance matching without smith charts different from using smith charts?

The main difference between impedance matching without smith charts and using smith charts is the graphical representation. Impedance matching without smith charts uses equations and calculations to determine the proper matching network, while smith charts use graphical methods to visualize and determine the matching network.

What are the advantages of impedance matching without smith charts?

One advantage of impedance matching without smith charts is that it can be used for any type of transmission line, while smith charts are limited to certain types of transmission lines. Additionally, impedance matching without smith charts can be more accurate and precise than using smith charts.

What are some common methods for impedance matching without smith charts?

Some common methods for impedance matching without smith charts include using lumped element networks (such as capacitors and inductors), using transmission line sections, and using active circuits (such as amplifiers and filters). Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice depends on the specific application and requirements.